Author Topic: Dropping Like Flies  (Read 2600345 times)

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
Re: Dropping Like Flies
« Reply #2820 on: March 04, 2014, 04:09:11 pm »
I wonder if there really a need for life insurance if you've got two healthy 401K's, two above average incomes, a healthy college fund, a healthy bank account, only one kid, and don't spend your money on $300 bottles of liquor?

Death insurance has always seemed like a scam to me. And I don't want a funeral. Cremate me as cheaply as possible.
Just a cremation is 2 or 3 grand.  No matter though.  My life insurance is so that lump sum can be used to pay off whatever is owed on the house if something happens to me.  And then some.

I don't want the savings to have to go towards the here and now.  It can be for the future, like it's always been intended.

PS :  My will says cremate me and scatter wherever survivors see fit.  Whatever gives the most peace...
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 04:11:32 pm by chaz »

Unsanity

« Reply #2821 on: March 06, 2014, 05:00:27 am »
Selim Lemouchi, founder and guitar player for Dutch band The Devil's Blood. They broke up only a little over a year ago and now this? R.I.P.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/former-the-devils-blood-frontman-selim-lemouchi-reportedly-dead/

atomic

« Reply #2822 on: March 07, 2014, 12:40:23 pm »
I wonder if there really a need for life insurance if you've got two healthy 401K's, two above average incomes, a healthy college fund, a healthy bank account, only one kid, and don't spend your money on $300 bottles of liquor?

Death insurance has always seemed like a scam to me. And I don't want a funeral. Cremate me as cheaply as possible.
Just a cremation is 2 or 3 grand.  No matter though.  My life insurance is so that lump sum can be used to pay off whatever is owed on the house if something happens to me.  And then some.

I don't want the savings to have to go towards the here and now.  It can be for the future, like it's always been intended.

PS :  My will says cremate me and scatter wherever survivors see fit.  Whatever gives the most peace...

You would have a huge tax bill if you took the money out of your 401k.  Plus 401k is for retirement.  Term life insurance makes sense if you have children and it is pretty cheap if your healthy.  No reason not to get it. 

Maybe James Ford wouldn't be so miserable f. if he actually spent  some money. 

atomic

« Reply #2823 on: March 07, 2014, 12:52:31 pm »
So I just went to the first web-site of a known insurance company and for a 20 year term life insurance policy that would cover me until I was 69 and paid 300,000 dollars for my demographics would cost me 65 bucks a month.  So I would pay out 15,600 dollars over the next 20 years for a little peace of mind.  I guess if you are extremely overweight, smoke,  have a bad driving record, have bad health in the family you will pay more.  Seems pretty reasonable to me.  Better choice than draining your 401k to pay for daily expenses.

James Ford

« Reply #2824 on: March 07, 2014, 12:58:08 pm »
I guess your wife doesn't make very much money.

We all have our individual situations. I don't think life insurance is a good investment for us.

Did you calculate how much additional money you'd have in your 401K after 20 years if you put the $65/month there instead? Obviously not 300K, but well beyond 15K if you get good returns.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 01:09:04 pm by James Ford »

Vas Deferens

« Reply #2825 on: March 07, 2014, 02:20:42 pm »
Ahh I disagree. Term life is cheap if you are in your 40s. Do you really want your 401K savings to pay for your mortgage and debts when your spouse dies? (and get taxed too in the process).

(_|_)

James Ford

« Reply #2826 on: March 07, 2014, 02:26:14 pm »
I'm pretty sure we could pay our bills on a combination of one of our existing salaries and existing non-401K savings.  We're thrifty like that.
 ;)

Ahh I disagree. Term life is cheap if you are in your 40s. Do you really want your 401K savings to pay for your mortgage and debts when your spouse dies? (and get taxed too in the process).

Vas Deferens

« Reply #2827 on: March 07, 2014, 02:28:44 pm »
ok, please lend me some money for Europe?  ha ha.
(_|_)

atomic

« Reply #2828 on: March 07, 2014, 02:36:21 pm »

We all have our individual situations. I don't think life insurance is a good investment for us.

Did you calculate how much additional money you'd have in your 401K after 20 years if you put the $65/month there instead? Obviously not 300K, but well beyond 15K if you get good returns.

I am already putting max into 401k so I can't put more money in it.  But thanks for the suggestion.  I already get 2 times my salary from work in life insurance.  So I think she will be all right.  We only owe 50k on the house.  An extra 300k for 60 bucks a month until 69 will give me a sense of security.

atomic

« Reply #2829 on: March 07, 2014, 03:00:36 pm »
I don't know why James Ford all wants us all to live a life of poverty like him.  As much as the allure of living like I am destitute appeals to me I think I will continue to buy things and enjoy life.

James Ford

« Reply #2830 on: March 07, 2014, 04:08:11 pm »
Well it sounds like we are both ok with our situations, so bravo for both of us.

I think if we did get life insurance, we'd both get it. So assuming rates and conditions similar to yours, that would be 2x$65 per month, right? or do you get a couples discount, like you do at the swingers club?

I am already putting max into 401k so I can't put more money in it.  But thanks for the suggestion.  I already get 2 times my salary from work in life insurance.  So I think she will be all right.  We only owe 50k on the house.  An extra 300k for 60 bucks a month until 69 will give me a sense of security.

James Ford

« Reply #2831 on: March 07, 2014, 04:16:38 pm »
My wife and I both live a more lavish lifestyle than we did growing up. Why would we want to live too much differently than the way we were raised?

I don't know why James Ford all wants us all to live a life of poverty like him.  As much as the allure of living like I am destitute appeals to me I think I will continue to buy things and enjoy life.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #2832 on: March 07, 2014, 04:23:07 pm »
...and James Ford sees the same 3-4 bands every year. Dr. Dog. Robbie Fulks. Old 97s. It doesn't change!
(_|_)

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #2833 on: March 07, 2014, 04:24:00 pm »
My wife and I both live a more lavish lifestyle than we did growing up. Why would we want to live too much differently than the way we were raised?

I'm fine with however anyone wants to live their life, but this reasoning is just stupid.

atomic

« Reply #2834 on: March 07, 2014, 04:28:10 pm »

I'm fine with however anyone wants to live their life, but this reasoning is just stupid.

And this is coming from someone (JamesFord) who whinned about his wife's parents not paying for her college education.