Author Topic: Dropping Like Flies  (Read 2600770 times)

Relaxer

Re: Dropping Like Flies
« Reply #3960 on: September 22, 2015, 11:21:30 am »
I truly love the Cap Hill/Eastern Market/Lincoln Park area of DC. I started living on the Hill in 1992 and have never been tempted to live anywhere else. It was a great neighborhood to live in as a swinging bachelor and it's an even better neighborhood to live in with kids. It's like it a small town nestled in a big city.

What's the typical price for home for a family of three or four? How are the public schools in the neighborhood?

It depends on how bourgeois the family is, and where exactly you're located (big difference between 4th and East Cap and 16th and East Cap) but a 3BR/3BA house will start at around $750k and up. That said, if you have a basement apartment that you can rent out, which I do, half or more of your mortgage is being paid by someone else. And I have a huge beautiful park and a wonderful elementary school that both my children attended half a block from my house.

Restaurants, multiple parks, a weekend outdoor market, coffee shops, theaters, bodega-style grocery stores, a free community pool -- all are within 5 blocks and easily walkable. Just a bit further are RFK Stadium, Nationals Park, the Mall, Capitol Hill, Union Station, Schneiders Wine & Spirits, etc. It's a really nice neighborhood. As Yada said, it is a little separate from the rest of DC, but I like that aspect and it's what gives it that 'small town' aura.

I'm feeling like quite the Welcome Wagon/Chamber of Commerce over here.

My street is probably 70/30 Cuacasian/AA
oword

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3961 on: September 22, 2015, 11:25:14 am »
For some reason, I think it's probably hard to grasp the charm in a place where you've only stayed at a mid-level hotel there for work.

beyond having lunch there every other week for a year, i also had a friend who owned a row-house in reston which i visited 3-4 times.  although it's not the same as being a resident, i felt that i got a good feel for the place... and it isn't my bag.

but like others have said, glad that the reston is working out for your friend!

should we get back to announcing people who have just got dead?
<sig>

walk,on,by

« Reply #3962 on: September 22, 2015, 11:41:20 am »
thank you god . . . I am a token gay friend.  I need to start a band, called that.

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #3963 on: September 23, 2015, 03:39:39 am »
Ben Carson,s chances. Republicans, everywhere just smiled, because there was no way they were voting for a black guy.

You would be surprised.  Then again you said Republicans not conservatives.  Most conservatives I know vote based on the merit of the individual candidates listed on the ballot and not on superficial things like skin color, age, gender, etc.

If conservatives are so piously color-blind and pure, why do they so consistently take positions that are opposed by minorities? And why has the conservative movement been overwhelmingly led by white men? And why do you suppose the conservative movement is most strong in a part of America - the South - that has a long and recent history with racism, prejudice, and inequality?

I guess it's all just a weird coincidence.

Why are many conservatives minorities and conversely so many minorities conservatives?
FUKIT

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #3964 on: September 23, 2015, 03:40:49 am »
Ben Carson,s chances. Republicans, everywhere just smiled, because there was no way they were voting for a black guy.

You would be surprised.  Then again you said Republicans not conservatives.  Most conservatives I know vote based on the merit of the individual candidates listed on the ballot and not on superficial things like skin color, age, gender, etc.

If conservatives are so piously color-blind and pure, why do they so consistently take positions that are opposed by minorities? And why has the conservative movement been overwhelmingly led by white men? And why do you suppose the conservative movement is most strong in a part of America - the South - that has a long and recent history with racism, prejudice, and inequality?

I guess it's all just a weird coincidence.
Dude, it's RatBastard, he's human garbage. None of you call him on it because he has a token gay friend.

POT -> KETTLE -> BLACK
FUKIT

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #3965 on: September 23, 2015, 03:42:55 am »
but the stats show the truth

Again, it's RatBastard. His analysis of statistics is notoriously in "flunked out of STAT 101" territory.

SH) Stats stats show what the person quoting them want them to show.
J) Comments coming form someone who thinks summing a range of averages shows any significant information what so ever.
FUKIT

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #3966 on: September 23, 2015, 03:45:11 am »
thank you god . . . I am a token gay friend.  I need to start a band, called that.

Dude you are not a token anything in my book.  I consider you a friend because that is what you are.  It has nothing to do with where you work, what your favorite food is, or the fact that you think Seth is hot! :)
FUKIT

ggw

« Reply #3967 on: September 23, 2015, 07:40:57 am »
The eminently quotable Yogi Berra.

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #3968 on: September 23, 2015, 08:21:10 am »

His spirit lives on. Requiescat in pace and rest in peace.
😐 🎶

killsaly

« Reply #3969 on: September 28, 2015, 07:22:53 pm »
Catherine E. Coulson aka Log Lady from Twin Peaks

She was supposed to be in season 3.

walk,on,by

« Reply #3970 on: September 28, 2015, 07:26:29 pm »
WHHAAAATTTTTTTTT???!!!!!!!

now, they are both trapped in the log.

K8teebug

« Reply #3971 on: September 29, 2015, 08:50:56 am »
I am so so so so so so sad about the Log Lady. You know she kept the log safe all these years!

K8teebug

« Reply #3972 on: September 29, 2015, 08:51:30 am »
She was also assistant director for Eraserhead. She was so sweet in interviews!

« Reply #3973 on: September 29, 2015, 08:52:35 am »
Catherine E. Coulson aka Log Lady from Twin Peaks
:(
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #3974 on: September 29, 2015, 09:08:32 am »
Can't wait for the 2016 release of All Logs Go To Heaven.