Author Topic: Dropping Like Flies  (Read 2547448 times)

Re: Dropping Like Flies
« Reply #7425 on: October 31, 2020, 11:38:40 am »
The comedy AND virtue on the board is amazing today
I still think his times on Jeopardy were some of his best moments
slack

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #7426 on: October 31, 2020, 11:41:35 am »
https://youtu.be/cMRgv11fIjA

Like this is sharknado level acting. I AM FROM SPAIN AND HERE IS MY SPANISH NAME AND I WILL NOT ATTEMPT TO DO A CATALAN ACCENT. This guy never even damn tried.
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #7427 on: October 31, 2020, 03:29:58 pm »
Hutch, I read the last part of your toxic masculinity rant to my wife. She disagrees. She thinks wealth inequality is the biggest problem in society. And she'll sit there in her $200 Bernie hoodie and filibuster her point down your ass.

hutch

« Reply #7428 on: October 31, 2020, 04:01:47 pm »
Ok but it wasn’t at all a rant!

Have you seen the male vs female numbers for Trump?

Something has gone wrong with American men.

Space Freely

« Reply #7429 on: October 31, 2020, 04:17:51 pm »
Ok but it wasn’t at all a rant!

Have you seen the male vs female numbers for Trump?

Are men supporting Trump in greater numbers than they did other Republican candidates? I know I could look this up but I'm tired from running and raking leaves.

hutch

« Reply #7430 on: October 31, 2020, 04:23:32 pm »
Dude way more..   Trump represents the  apotheosis of the male American asshole.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #7431 on: October 31, 2020, 06:02:33 pm »

Sure, but we began our moral freefall way before 2016.

hutch

« Reply #7432 on: October 31, 2020, 06:36:48 pm »
I agree... like 1981...
Maybe earlier

But when did it become a majority of white men?

« Reply #7433 on: November 01, 2020, 08:31:45 am »

Sure, but we began our moral freefall way before 2016.
let's see...Dr. No came out in 1963.  I think we all already agreed it started then
Beatles showing up in 64 defiantly pushed things over the edge into the freefall that hasn't stopped tearing our moral fibers and away from the church
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 08:33:33 am by Martin Aspen-hatch ıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

hutch

« Reply #7434 on: November 01, 2020, 09:14:51 am »
Laugh all you want....

Movies can impact (and reflect) culture....

But obviously the point was never that Connery or 007 did anything singlehandedly...

But changing culture takes decades... it’s a processs...no one thing does it By itself

I think we need to try to understand why so many American men want to vote for Trump... and it’s not enough to say they had a tough time dealing with economic dislocation.. there is something deeper at work... the assholeization of America... and it’s disproportionately men

Someone I know once told me the day Bush threw that strike after 9-11 was the day he was proudest of America

« Reply #7435 on: November 01, 2020, 04:18:39 pm »
Speaking of assholes and Sean....as if on cue makes and it about him (and 100% fabricated is my understanding, by what use are facts for the POTUS)

The legendary actor, 007 Sean Connery, has past on to even greener fairways. He was quite a guy, and a tough character. I was having a very hard time getting approvals for a big development in Scotland when Sean stepped in and shouted,“Let him build the damn thing”. That was........all I needed, everything went swimmingly from there. He was so highly regarded & respected in Scotland and beyond that years of future turmoil was avoided. Sean was a great actor and an even greater man. Sincere condolences to his family!

Donald J. Trump

I think jules will like this SC quote: "Perhaps I'm not a good actor, but I would be even worse at doing anything else."
slack

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #7436 on: November 01, 2020, 04:36:16 pm »
I do like that quote. Julian always awards plaudits for self-awareness
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #7437 on: November 01, 2020, 04:48:42 pm »
Did Trump misspell "passed" or did you?

« Reply #7438 on: November 01, 2020, 06:38:26 pm »
Did Trump misspell "passed" or did you?
Trump did
I intentionally left it.
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #7439 on: November 02, 2020, 04:18:20 am »
so one thing i'm not getting about this toxic masculinity discussion y'all are having: you make it sound like men in this country were once good, and recently we've become terrible.

i would counter and say that men have always been terrible.  in fact this country has been steadily - but very slowly - making progress.  sometimes it was big things like the 19th amendment (which many men didn't give up willingly), other times it was smaller steps.  but the patriarchy has been, and continues to be, alive and well in this country.  a #metoo hashtag or a few women on the supreme court haven't changed this.

does anyone here believe that gender equality had been achieved, and now we're sliding back?
<sig>