Author Topic: Netflixers  (Read 5139 times)

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
Netflixers
« on: February 10, 2006, 05:09:00 pm »
I don't use the service but I've read several of you discuss this issue.

Personally, from what I gather, they sound like a fairly decent company that just needs to work through a few of their systems.

Netflixing

sonickteam2

Re: Netflixers
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2006, 05:30:00 pm »
what this article doesnt say is that Villanueva is probably burning copies of all these DVDs and the fact that he can do 3 a day and return them immediately is frustrating him.  

Perhaps he should try the 8 at a time plan...or get a fucking life and stop watching so many movies

as a Netflix subscriber and stock holder....i think they kick ass.

ratioci nation

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2006, 05:33:00 pm »
I cancelled netflix for this very reason, there was a thread on it a while ago.  Say what you will Foolerie, but it was highly annoying.  And it doesnt take as much renting as you think to get throttled.  My biggest problem is that they completely denied it for a long time.  If they had been honest from the start I would have been fine with it.

Jaguar

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2006, 05:46:00 pm »
Out of curiosity, did you notice any difference when you queued newer films with a bigger demand as opposed to ones that might sit on their shelves longer waiting to be rented?

Sonick, I wouldn't assume so much about that guy so quick. He may only watch maybe 5 films a week. A lot of people settle into a routine of sitting around watching a movie after they've come home from work and have had dinner.

eltee

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2006, 06:03:00 pm »
Originally posted by Jaguar:
  A lot of people settle into a routine of sitting around watching a movie after they've come home from work and have had dinner.
And don't forget those who don't have cable!   :p
 Anyway, I was returning my movies quickly and recently noted that it took longer to receive a new one...
 The only problem I'm having if figuring out the proper timing of shipping so I have a movie in hand when I want it. This past week they delayed my shipment by a few days. Now I have to wait until Monday to get a new one.
 Anyhow, I'm still figuring out which plan I want. I do know the plan I'm on is $45 cheaper than cable and $25 cheaper than if I rented from Ballsbuster.

Jaguar

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2006, 06:08:00 pm »
Originally posted by El Sugartastic:

Originally posted by Jaguar:
  A lot of people settle into a routine of sitting around watching a movie after they've come home from work and have had dinner.
And don't forget those who don't have cable!   :p  [/b]
Yeah, tell me about it! I'm one of them.

kurosawa-b/w

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2006, 06:27:00 pm »
They definitely have problems to work out, but I still really love Netflix. It's worked well for me. I've been able to watch so many films that I normally wouldn't have had easy access to. I definitely feel like I'm getting my money's worth.

eltee

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2006, 06:33:00 pm »
I agree...I have seen many movies I can't find at the rental store and saved $.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2006, 06:34:00 pm »
Originally posted by El Sugartastic:
 $25 cheaper than if I rented from Ballsbuster.
i do the blockbuster online deal and i'm pretty sure it's the same price as netflix ($17.99/mnth for 3 DVDs at a time), plus I get 1 free in-store rental at blockbuster per week .... I don't see how netflix can beat that ...
(o|o)

kurosawa-b/w

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2006, 06:39:00 pm »
Originally posted by HoyaParanoia:
  i do the blockbuster online deal and i'm pretty sure it's the same price as netflix ($17.99/mnth for 3 DVDs at a time), plus I get 1 free in-store rental at blockbuster per week .... I don't see how netflix can beat that ...
I can rarely find stuff at Blockbuster stores that I want to rent. Or if I find something, it's out. So that deal does nothing for me. But I can see how it would be great for someone else. I'm glad Blockbuster is catching up and trying to figure out create ways to compete.

ratioci nation

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2006, 06:45:00 pm »
I have used Blockbuster since I quit netflix.  Netflix had a little better selection, but the difference is minimal, Blockbuster online still has most of the harder to find movies.  If they dont find it in their online stock they have even sent stuff from one of their stores around the country.  I liked netflix more as a company, but they pissed me off too much with their poor customer service.  I dont use it now nearly as much as I did when I didnt have cable.  And I rarely use the in store freebies.

eltee

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2006, 06:49:00 pm »
Originally posted by kurosawa-b/w:
  I can rarely find stuff at Blockbuster stores that I want to rent. Or if I find something, it's out. So that deal does nothing for me. But I can see how it would be great for someone else. I'm glad Blockbuster is catching up and trying to figure out create ways to compete.
That's pretty much the same with me. I didn't know about this "new" deal you mention Hoya...but I've stopped paying attention to their offers. The stores near me don't have a large selection or are out of stock. Also, when the "no late fees" rule came around, my local B'buster decided not to partake. (I prefer Hollywood Video to B'buster.)
 For now, the mail return via Netflix is super convenient. I'll read a book while I wait for my shipment.  :)

Bags

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2006, 06:56:00 pm »
My experience probably doesn't 'count' because I average 5 - 7 movies a month, so I likely have never been "throttled," but it's never taken more than two days for me to get new movies (I send one back Monday, get the next one always by Wednesday).  And I've always gotten the next selection on my list, whether it's popular or not.

I've had some busy months where I might have gotten ten movies, and never saw a difference.  But even that's probably not much.

vansmack

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2006, 06:56:00 pm »
Originally posted by pdx pollard:
  I cancelled netflix for this very reason, there was a thread on it a while ago.  Say what you will Foolerie, but it was highly annoying.  And it doesnt take as much renting as you think to get throttled.  My biggest problem is that they completely denied it for a long time.  If they had been honest from the start I would have been fine with it.
The three movies Smackette has had for four months despite paying the monthly fee should easily balance this out, and there would be no need for throttling.  And I know she's not alone...
27>34

Bags

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2006, 06:59:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:
  The three movies Smackette has had for four months despite paying the monthly fee should easily balance this out.  And I know she's not alone...
Yup, I've done that, and is exactly why I initially switched to Netflix.  I wasn't getting to Blockbuster rentals in time, incurring late fees and then keeping them until I saw them since I'd sunk late fees into them....  I  had "Monsters Ball" for easily 4 months...I felt I should watch it, but was never in the mood.  I kept thinking, "this Sunday will be perfect for Monsters Ball," and it never was.