Author Topic: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...  (Read 1876867 times)

Re: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...
« Reply #4305 on: March 29, 2017, 09:27:30 pm »
Do you have any preferences, brand-wise, for wifi LED lightbulbs?

It's been a while since I updated this, but I just wanted to let you know that we went with Belkin WeMo Light Switches instead of changing out bulbs. 
Is it something you could install yourself or did you have a professional electrician do it?
(since I'm in this thread, I likely know the answer)
slack

shemptiness

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #4307 on: March 29, 2017, 11:04:18 pm »
This allowed us to keep our existing track lighting and still have the automation features (except changing colors, which might appeal to someone closer to 30, but not to us). 
Thank you for your thoughtful remarks. As someone closer to 30, the ability to make my home resemble a Thai opium den lighting-wise is, of course, essential.
LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #4308 on: March 30, 2017, 01:16:53 pm »
Is it something you could install yourself or did you have a professional electrician do it?
(since I'm in this thread, I likely know the answer)

I did them myself, which is legal in most of the US.  You'll have to check with your local jurisdiction, however.   

It took all of 5 minutes, and the only tricky part was making sure there was a neutral (white) wire in the wall hole, which is not used in most regular light switches, but is required for the Wemo switches.    Being a modern condo, they were there.

Here's a How-to-Video.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #4309 on: March 30, 2017, 01:26:30 pm »
Drone Video Shows The Horrifying Scale Of The Volkswagen Buyback

They've got a real problem on their hands. 

The 2015 (Gen3) can be resold soon, and are apparently performing alright.  But the previous iterations, which make up the vast majority that were sold, are having real problems 3 months after the fix.  That's why they're all just sitting there.

It will be interesting to see if VW fixes them and sells them overseas (like Samsung is doing with the Note7) or if they crush them.  I doubt they'll be able to sell them in America if the dwindling performance over time continues.
27>34

« Reply #4310 on: March 30, 2017, 01:35:17 pm »
Article is burying the lead: the one-time pride of Metro Detroit, the Silverdome, is reduced to being a parking lot for GERMAN cars. The motor city weeps.
LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #4311 on: March 30, 2017, 01:50:27 pm »
Thank you for your thoughtful remarks. As someone closer to 30, the ability to make my home resemble a Thai opium den lighting-wise is, of course, essential.

In that case I would go with LiFX lights over Hue as their app is so much better.
27>34

shemptiness

« Reply #4312 on: March 30, 2017, 02:33:59 pm »
Burying the lede

vansmack

« Reply #4313 on: April 19, 2017, 02:08:14 pm »
3 Caleb dies while Julie was putting some salt on that marg
^^^ SUBJECT TO SO MUCH CHANGE

I'm pretty sure this is my #1 for both.  I literally cannot listen to Coldplay's "Fix You" without saying "Sorry I missed Prom.  You're just in time." and then run around yelling "Julie?  Julie!" while clutching my chest and then throwing my drink in the air and yelling "Cal?  CAL!!!"  just hoping to God someone says "What are we going to do about you?"   
I somehow missed this comment until right now and that's probably my personal POTY so far.

BTW - This also happened at the Easter Brunch and only one person got it.  She was the youngest person there (29ish...)
27>34

« Reply #4314 on: April 19, 2017, 02:13:57 pm »
She was the youngest person there (29ish...)
Is she single?
LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #4315 on: April 19, 2017, 02:24:26 pm »
so if they are buying them back...what are they going to do with all that inventory?

You can now Buy a Brand new TDI VW at Used Prices

As I predicted, they still haven't been able to fix the earlier models like mine, but these newer generations can be had on the cheap.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #4316 on: April 19, 2017, 02:24:52 pm »
She was the youngest person there (29ish...)
Is she single?

5 months pregnant.  Also grew up in Grosse Pointe.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #4317 on: April 19, 2017, 02:30:38 pm »
There are very few times when I say "I love Facebook" but old people on Facebook is one of them (I have altered the names):

------
‎George Walker‎ to DJ Roben
42 mins ·

DJ it's been a while I was just wondering if you were engaged yet, if not, what the hell are you waiting for, ANNA is so wonderful and perfect, time to pull the trigger buddy
----

George is the father of DJ's college roommate (DJ is 40 years old now).  I think/hope he thought he was sending a PM or that things on the wall would not be seen by all.   We're 45 minutes in, 35 comments have been made busting DJs chops and no word from DJ, who may not have seen it yet.

Should probably update this too as I'm going through the old thread posts...

DJ and Anna are not married, but Anna is due in July which has created an entirely new old persons kerfluffle on FB.
27>34

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #4318 on: April 19, 2017, 02:39:29 pm »
DJ and Anna are not married, but Anna is due in July which has created an entirely new old persons kerfluffle on FB.

I'm just gonna step in right here and point out to all the pedantic prescriptivists that kerfluffle is an accepted alternate form of kerfuffle.

http://www.wikidiff.com/kerfuffle/kerfluffle

Cool your jets.

« Reply #4319 on: April 19, 2017, 02:42:19 pm »
LVMH