Author Topic: Recommend some good movies!  (Read 258420 times)

Starsky

Re: Recommend some good movies!
« Reply #945 on: October 14, 2021, 12:37:16 pm »
My body is ready

I was hoping they were going to do a theatrical release but then again I'll gladly take six hours of Beatles footage. The video quality looks amazing for 50 year old film.

The quality of the video footage looks amazing

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #946 on: October 14, 2021, 12:43:36 pm »
my kid got xrays from their MRI on a CD and I was like "how am I even going to view this?"
guess I should call Space
I got some Xrays back around the start of COVID and was also given them on a CD but I was fine with it because I remain consumptive of physical media.
I have not owned a computer with a CD player in a decade
My current desktop -- yes, I said desktop -- has a blu-ray BURNER.

i have a DVD player than can be hooked up to the TV (but currently isn't).  the only other disk-reader under my roof is a DVD burner in a desktop that i built in 2004 for music production.  it runs windows XP, has never been online, and hasn't been booted up for at least 5 years.  all this to say that if you gave me a CD or DVD i could play it, but i'd be grumpy about it.  i think that puts me half-way between jules and vansmack.
<sig>

Starsky

« Reply #947 on: October 14, 2021, 12:47:36 pm »
My main stereo’s CD player is down.. it’s one of those 5 disc Sony carousel things… am not missing it… playing only LPs (CDs in car)

It’s a sign of the times that these CD players that were once ubiquitous at thrift stores and junk shops are no longer around

Space Freely

« Reply #948 on: October 14, 2021, 12:53:34 pm »
My main stereo’s CD player is down.. it’s one of those 5 disc Sony carousel things… am not missing it… playing only LPs (CDs in car)

It’s a sign of the times that these CD players that were once ubiquitous at thrift stores and junk shops are no longer around

I also have a 5 CD Sony carousel thing in my 600 sq ft house, and it actually works. I also have an LP player and plenty of LP's, but never bother...too much work.

I know my wife really wishes I'd get rid of all of my CD's that clutter up the view in our living room, but i just can't.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #949 on: October 14, 2021, 01:20:23 pm »
my kid got xrays from their MRI on a CD and I was like "how am I even going to view this?"
guess I should call Space
I got some Xrays back around the start of COVID and was also given them on a CD but I was fine with it because I remain consumptive of physical media.
I have not owned a computer with a CD player in a decade
My current desktop -- yes, I said desktop -- has a blu-ray BURNER.

i have a DVD player than can be hooked up to the TV (but currently isn't).  the only other disk-reader under my roof is a DVD burner in a desktop that i built in 2004 for music production.  it runs windows XP, has never been online, and hasn't been booted up for at least 5 years.  all this to say that if you gave me a CD or DVD i could play it, but i'd be grumpy about it.  i think that puts me half-way between jules and vansmack.
My living room, den, master bedroom, and guest bedroom all have 4K UHD Blu-ray players in them.
LVMH

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #950 on: October 14, 2021, 01:32:23 pm »
all this to say that if you gave me a CD or DVD i could play it, but i'd be grumpy about it.  i think that puts me half-way between jules and vansmack.
My living room, den, master bedroom, and guest bedroom all have 4K UHD Blu-ray players in them.

thank you for the backup!
<sig>

« Reply #951 on: October 14, 2021, 01:56:14 pm »
What about VHS...I think Hutch is still watching them
What about Cassette?
slack

Starsky

« Reply #952 on: October 14, 2021, 02:13:53 pm »
No cassettes do I use

About seven years ago I watched Hype (movie about Seattle scene) on vhs…that’s been it

I donated hundreds of cassettes and vhs to a thrift store about 18 years ago

Space Freely

« Reply #953 on: October 18, 2021, 10:07:37 am »
This looks good
Roadrunner: A Film About Anthony Bourdain
(Goes a thousand miles an hour)

It was very, very good. Just saw it on Netflix dvd. Did you see it? Anybody?

bearman🐻

« Reply #954 on: October 18, 2021, 10:11:53 am »
The Velvet Underground. Really enjoyed this one.

For some reason I had never watched the Filth and the Fury, and I watched that one as well. Also really good.

« Reply #955 on: October 18, 2021, 10:53:28 am »

For some reason I had never watched the Filth and the Fury, and I watched that one as well. Also really good.
Filth and the fury is excellent!  Highly recommended
slack

Yada

« Reply #956 on: October 18, 2021, 10:57:36 am »

Is the new one streaming or do you go to a theatre?

« Reply #957 on: October 18, 2021, 12:05:16 pm »

Is the new one streaming or do you go to a theatre?
you need Apple+ or go to the theater (showing at SS AFI and the e-street cine)
was unable to get Apple+ working in my set up (just using the Samsung native App), might have to take my kid's Google chromecast
slack

K8teebug

« Reply #958 on: October 18, 2021, 02:02:40 pm »

I also have a 5 CD Sony carousel thing in my 600 sq ft house, and it actually works. I also have an LP player and plenty of LP's, but never bother...too much work.

I know my wife really wishes I'd get rid of all of my CD's that clutter up the view in our living room, but i just can't.

I got rid of all our jewel cases and am storing them in drawers now. I used something like this
https://www.bagsunlimited.com/product/3317/cd-gatefold-sleeve-center-loadingbrtray-card-and-booklet-in-one-side-cd-in-the-otherbr4-mil-polyethylene
Worked really well and was a nice rainy day activity (it took me about 3 days total). I did keep the ones where the packaging was integral to the artwork.

Space Freely

« Reply #959 on: November 01, 2021, 09:39:15 am »

I'm not a big fan of the Velvet Underground, Andy Warhol, or Todd Haynes. But damn, that was really good.