Author Topic: Recommend some good movies!  (Read 258221 times)

bull930

Recommend some good movies!
« on: July 14, 2007, 07:16:00 am »
I need to know some good movies to see. Went to go see 1408, it was ok, gets 3 out of 5 stars! Seems like everything is more geared to kids now!

Recommend DVDs also! Thanks!

lily1

Re: Recommend some good movies!
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 07:57:00 am »
golden door was fantastic. best movie i've seen thus far this year.

avenue montaigne
 once
 knocked up
 ratatouille

are all in cinema

on dvd, i just watched vera drake. very good. but i really like mike leigh films.

lagas

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 08:52:00 am »
I would say Sicko...very powerful movie...
 I also recommend La Vie en Rose, the biopic about Edith Piaff, and there's a new Werner Herzog flick  about a POW, cant remember its name and I havent seen it yet, but I will...
zorra

Random Citizen

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2007, 09:46:00 am »
Sicko was good, but it could have been better. I saw La Vie en Rose earlier this week and loved it.

jitterthug

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2007, 11:10:00 am »
Originally posted by lacroix:
  there's a new Werner Herzog flick  about a POW, cant remember its name and I havent seen it yet, but I will...
Rescue Dawn...it got a really good review in the NY Times.

I just watched Breach and Little Children (both came out on DVD recently) and thought they were really good as well.

walkonby

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2007, 11:33:00 am »
transformers . . . where only the one who talks "black" dies. i can't believe that some people think michael bay did it on purpose. there's also an interesting preview for some unnamed, mysterious film from the guy who did lost, that comes out in jan. '08.

twangirl

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2007, 12:08:00 pm »
The Lives of Others

beetsnotbeats

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2007, 12:18:00 pm »
Originally posted by walkonby:
  there's also an interesting preview for some unnamed, mysterious film from the guy who did lost, that comes out in jan. '08.
Rather odd to announce a film six months in advance to open in January. That month is a traditional dumping ground for bombs. What will probably happen is the movie will open in December in LA & NY for Oscar consideration then open widely in 1/08.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2007, 01:01:00 pm »
Transformers
 Knocked Up
 You Kill Me [i want to see this badly]

THose were great. Dvd?

Lucky Number Slevin
 The Fifth Element
 Brick
 Children of Men
‼‼?‼‼

Vas Deferens

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2007, 01:20:00 pm »
Transformers first half is good and funny. The action scene in the end is pretty meh.
(_|_)

ConversationDiva

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2007, 01:52:00 pm »
Originally posted by Jitterthug:
 I just watched Breach and Little Children (both came out on DVD recently) and thought they were really good as well.
yeah, breach was quite interesting.
 i found little children to be too much though, i just rented it the other night and thought there was just too much going on with the plot.

notes on scandal just came out on dvd which is good.
 this is england is released here in the states at the end of the month, i really enjoyed the film and i hope maybe E street will show it as i'd love to see it again.

Darth Ed

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2007, 03:41:00 pm »
Link to previous Recommended Movies thread

In addition to Once, which I think is one of the best movies of the year, I saw Ratatouille last night and I'd definitely recommend that. The animation is Pixar's best yet, and it might be Pixar's funniest movie.

Chip Chanko

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2007, 03:46:00 pm »
I thought transformers was a terrible mess. It was funny at times but none of the robots get any character development, it spends way too much time on the wrong things, and every battle scene is a whirlwind of scrap metal where you don't know what's going on. It was a pretty sad experience for someone who grew up with them. I wish I'd seen the new Die Hard instead. Oh, and John Turturro gets peed on by bumblebee which is probably the worst thing I've ever seen on film.

Knocked up was really funny but slow paced and felt a little too long (like 40 year old virgin did...maybe Apatow needs a different editor?).

Friends say the new harry potter is the Empire Strikes Back of that series if you care about that.

I'm really looking forward to Sunshine in a couple weeks.

I also just saw Bullets over Broadway for the first time a couple weeks ago and loved it.

danknugz

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2007, 04:07:00 pm »
i really liked Ratatouille, partially because i cook for a living, but also because it was a really good movie. i though 1408 was kinda cheesy, and ive been wanting to see sicko, but will probably wait till i can rent it.

walkonby

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2007, 04:38:00 pm »
there is an anagram to the fake working title of the abrams movie--cloverfield--but not sure yet why it's important.  i feel they are going to try the mysterious "lost" approach to a film, and bomb bigger than you can say the blair witch afterparty.