Author Topic: Recommend some good movies!  (Read 258442 times)

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: Recommend some good movies!
« Reply #240 on: December 28, 2015, 12:57:02 pm »
It also was probably his least violent film.
What? I mean I don't want to go all spoilers in this thread but that was extremely graphic and violent.

I'm not a huge Tarantino guy, like I said, but it was an OK movie. I agree the ending is kind of weird and just sort of ends. I had the experience of sitting there with a friend with two seats open to the left of me until about 5 minutes before the start time. Then this older couple (lets say late-50s/early-60s) comes in and asks if they can sit there and if "we have any popcorn to share." A little cheesy but whatever. Old lady tries to engage me in conversation and asks if I'm a big Tarantino fan. I say I'm not particularly but he's definitely talented even if the movies aren't particularly my thing. She says she's just gotten into them and that they say "The King's Men" last night by him and asks if I've seen it. I say I have not and am racking my brain trying to remember a trailer for this film. I'm thinking "is she referring to All The King's Men? Did Tarantino do that?" Either way, she spent the last half of that movie watching behind her fingers or notably looking away from the screen. She also did not respond well to the end of the first half of the film. I am functioning off the hypothesis that she was greatly mistaken as to who Tarantino is.
LVMH

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #241 on: December 28, 2015, 01:53:58 pm »
Hateful Eight doesn't even scratch the violence level of Django, Inglourious Basterds, Death Proof, Kill Bill, Pulp Fiction or Reservoir Dogs. The last 20 or 25 minutes do get bloody, but it wasn't as insane as any of his other movies. I also thought it was unnecessary. I need to rewatch. I talked to my friend about it and I find myself saying more positive than negative. Something just didn't click. I just really think it's because you don't find out until the very end who to root for.

I also couldn't help but feel like Tim Roth was a tiny bit out of place. All I saw was Christoph Waltz in that role. Maybe swap Roth with Madsen and Waltz with Roth.
‼‼?‼‼

« Reply #242 on: December 28, 2015, 02:12:34 pm »
I thought it was more graphic than Pulp Fiction by a lot. Not as far as body count but in the graphic cinematic depiction of the violence. Agree it was less than Django.
LVMH

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #243 on: December 28, 2015, 03:44:40 pm »
Pulp Fiction has a guy slicing rapists up with a katana! And a guys brains all over a car for a solid chunk of the last story! Man. Lol. That is one sick dude.
‼‼?‼‼

walk,on,by

« Reply #244 on: December 28, 2015, 04:01:48 pm »
i have watched the trailer a couple of times, and i finally felt a level of disappointment with the what i was seeing as a possible tarantino film.  i love his films, and when i see a trailer for one, i get excited and am like . . . yeah, i gotta drag my ass to the damn theatre again.  but not this one.  it seemed, lacking somehow.  but maybe i just need to see it.

« Reply #245 on: December 28, 2015, 04:13:18 pm »
i have watched the trailer a couple of times, and i finally felt a level of disappointment with the what i was seeing as a possible tarantino film.  i love his films, and when i see a trailer for one, i get excited and am like . . . yeah, i gotta drag my ass to the damn theatre again.  but not this one.  it seemed, lacking somehow.  but maybe i just need to see it.
Just FYI: a dude hangs dong.
LVMH

walk,on,by

« Reply #246 on: December 28, 2015, 04:14:51 pm »
its, always . . . the littlest things, that get us through.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #247 on: December 28, 2015, 05:37:19 pm »
Just FYI: a dude hangs dong.
Also dong hanging in Django. Maybe this is a new bit for Tarantino. First the trunk shot, now it's hanging dong.
‼‼?‼‼

K8teebug

« Reply #248 on: January 04, 2016, 09:15:45 am »
I saw it at AFI in 70mm. Just to see a film in 70mm was a real treat. As for where it ranks, I put it on the level of the Kill Bill movies as this is his spagetti western film. Music great as always. Not his best, but still better than most movies that come out these days.

Relaxer

« Reply #249 on: January 04, 2016, 11:50:31 am »
I would've hated seeing it in the theater because it reminded me of Death Proof in that it was just looooooooong periods of talk-talk-talk. I think I'm coming to the realization that I just don't like QT movies. Loved Jackie Brown, liked Pulp, Reservoir and Django, did not like Kill Bill, Inglorious, and Death Proof.

But I also chose the sucker's route and downloaded it. And you know what? Watching it in pieces over a week made it much more palatable. I still didn't like it much, and I was totally turned off by him making comedy out of Jennifer Jason Leigh getting the crap beat out of her. I've heard that audiences hoot and holler at those scenes, and that would be a turn off.

I'm also tired of every QT movie dropping the N word constantly. He clearly has issues.

oword

« Reply #250 on: January 04, 2016, 11:52:16 am »
I'm also tired of every QT movie dropping the N word constantly. He clearly has issues.
I get the feeling its more of a component of him thinking this super "edgy" and "bold" than any actual issues he has with minorities.
LVMH

Relaxer

« Reply #251 on: January 04, 2016, 12:06:03 pm »
I agree. I don't think he's a straight up racist per se, but I think he's very titillated by having black and white characters throw the word around. And it can be powerful if used sparingly, but he stampedes toward it every chance he gets and it's tiresome.

I thought the Revenant was great but that was partially because it was the first thing I watched on our brand new enormous super-fancy TV. We'd been happy with our 15 year old 32 inch set with the big tube in the back but decided to upgrade and WOW, that was fun.
oword

walk,on,by

« Reply #252 on: January 04, 2016, 12:26:06 pm »
Everyone knows, he does it, to impress the RZA.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #253 on: January 04, 2016, 12:30:28 pm »
I agree. I don't think he's a straight up racist per se, but I think he's very titillated by having black and white characters throw the word around. And it can be powerful if used sparingly, but he stampedes toward it every chance he gets and it's tiresome.
I don't think 'nigger' was said once during Death Proof, Inglourious, Four Rooms, or any Kill Bill movies. In Django it was "part of the time" and in Hateful they at least reference "they don't call them that anymore". I don't think he does it any worse than any other movies based in those times. It's a little jarring seeing it back in Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction. Don't really think he's a racist.

Definitely has a foot fetish though.
‼‼?‼‼

« Reply #254 on: January 19, 2016, 10:31:05 am »
Amy

that was really good, she was even more talented than I gave her credit for
Sad tale and we all know how it ends, but definitely worth a watch
slack