Author Topic: Recommend some good movies!  (Read 258243 times)

hutch

Re: Recommend some good movies!
« Reply #330 on: October 05, 2016, 09:54:39 pm »
oh.. I don't watch horror movies.. but The Ring seemed pretty crazy.. they were showing it on one of those Chinatown buses like ten years ago...
you were on a Chinatown bus that was showing a movie? What sort of most luxurious Chinatown bus ever did you take?!

we went up to NYC to see Joao Gilberto.. dream come true..caught him just in the nick of time...

I have no recollection of anything about the bus though...

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #331 on: October 06, 2016, 02:21:14 pm »
For those of you who like foreign cinema/the classics, might want to check out FilmStruck which drops in 2 weeks.

I have had Hulu for years, merely for access to the Criterion Collection of films but Turner apparently has bought the rights to that away which will result in my cancelling Hulu and getting this instead.

Their FAQ page makes me a little nervous. Captions are something they're "testing out." Yeah, that'll be great since you openly advertise as focusing on foreign films. Also, the supported device list at time of launch is a little slim. I don't expect niche stuff like my TiVo having an app day one but no Roku/Chromecast/video game systems is weak. Extremely weak.
LVMH

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #332 on: October 06, 2016, 03:16:31 pm »
Wow what a fucking huge loss for Hulu. Criterion collection is super crucial viewing.
‼‼?‼‼

« Reply #333 on: October 06, 2016, 03:17:57 pm »
Wow what a fucking huge loss for Hulu. Criterion collection is super crucial viewing.
It honestly was the only reason I was paying for it. I hope this thing isn't a glitchy pile of crap and they spread out to Roku and some more devices ASAP.
LVMH

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #334 on: October 06, 2016, 04:09:11 pm »
I don't use Hulu, most of those channels have apps that let you watch more episodes of those shows for free.
‼‼?‼‼

« Reply #335 on: October 06, 2016, 04:10:11 pm »
I don't use Hulu, most of those channels have apps that let you watch more episodes of those shows for free.
Exactly. I have cable and OnDemand. Hulu has by far the least original programming of the big three networks. Easy to drop if they lose Criterion.
LVMH

K8teebug

« Reply #336 on: October 07, 2016, 09:33:51 am »
Anyone have any netflix/amazon prime movies to recommend for scary movie October?

Bagley

« Reply #337 on: October 07, 2016, 10:14:41 am »
I've heard "It Follows" is quite good

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #338 on: October 18, 2016, 04:34:20 pm »
Anyone have any netflix/amazon prime movies to recommend for scary movie October?
Wanted to follow up on this! Tonight I've got "The Babadook", "Deathgasm" and "A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night" [all on Netflix I believe]

There are also limited screenings of The Shining this weekend! Might have to venture out for that. Seeing it on the big screen should be a treat. Anything else out there? I wasn't able to catch "Don't Breathe"...
‼‼?‼‼

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #339 on: October 18, 2016, 04:45:24 pm »
If I was a good person, I'd go see Young Frankenstein on the big screen, tonight only.
http://fathomevents.com/event/young-frankenstein

K8teebug

« Reply #340 on: October 19, 2016, 10:02:48 am »
Loved Babadook. We watched "We Are What We Are" this weekend. Would highly recommend!

walkie,talkie

« Reply #341 on: October 19, 2016, 10:12:53 am »
My local Alamo Drafthouse, is playing The Lost Boys on the big screen this Monday.

I just, came.

« Reply #342 on: October 19, 2016, 10:17:13 am »
My local Alamo Drafthouse, is playing The Lost Boys on the big screen this Monday.

I just, came.
Better now than when you're in the theater. If Peewee Herman can't overcome that stigma, what hope do us mere mortals have?
LVMH

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #343 on: October 19, 2016, 10:53:50 am »

I just, came.
OMG SERIOUSLY!?!?!? The Lost Boys is one of my favorite movies!!!! Holy crap!!

EDIT: The one in Ashburn is screening Shaun Of The Dead :(
EDIT EDIT: Also showing Army Of Darkness, The Exorcist, Silence Of The Lambs, House Of Dracula and Rocky Horror Picture Show

Watched DEATHGASM last night, it's like Detroit Rock City meets Evil dead sprinkled with Tenacious D. Super fun movie, gets insanely gory at times, but has a fun little horror heart to it.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 11:02:32 am by DeathFromAbove1979 »
‼‼?‼‼

walkie,talkie

« Reply #344 on: October 19, 2016, 10:56:48 am »
I know it's a drive, but come to Winchester Virginia.