Author Topic: Recommend some good movies!  (Read 258464 times)

Re: Recommend some good movies!
« Reply #585 on: March 27, 2019, 10:20:19 pm »
this could be amazing...or suck

Jim Jarmusch is releasing a zombie film called The Dead Don't Die, and the cast includes Tom Waits, Iggy Pop, Bill Murray, Adam Driver, and Tilda Swinton 😱
slack

IMAmoose24

• 4 Stars out of 5
« Reply #586 on: March 28, 2019, 07:38:11 am »

Jim Jarmusch is releasing a zombie film called The Dead Don't Die, and the cast includes Tom Waits, Iggy Pop, Bill Murray, Adam Driver, and Tilda Swinton 😱

Count me in. The cast is ridiculous and Jarmusch is more hit than miss.

Bagley

« Reply #587 on: March 28, 2019, 09:52:45 am »
the new Tarantino looks like a blast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Scf8nIJCvs4

Anyone see "Us"?

« Reply #588 on: March 28, 2019, 09:56:26 am »
it does...looking forward to it
slack

rich_WDC

« Reply #589 on: March 28, 2019, 10:49:55 am »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Scf8nIJCvs4

Anyone see "Us"?
I caught an 11pm screening of "Us".     No interest in seeing it again actually.   But there are definitely enough perfect spooky parts.   Possibly a little too overwrought for its own good, giving plenty of watercooler fodder.     And.... a very nice scriptwriting/cinematic aha payoff towards the very end.

walkonbyeeeeeeeee

« Reply #590 on: March 28, 2019, 07:33:52 pm »
my mom, is my go to, I need to hear that movie review, kind of listen.  she hated 'us', with a passion.  loved 'get out', hated the next get out.  She's the type who will walk the fuck out of a movie, and she said it was a bit hard to follow unless you really paid "a hell of a lot of attention."

Relaxer

« Reply #591 on: March 29, 2019, 09:28:58 am »
I thought Us had a very interesting premise but completely fell apart when Peele had to actually write the thing and put the pieces together. I was so ready to love this, but I walked out feeling kinda 'meh'.
oword

IMAmoose24

• 4 Stars out of 5
« Reply #592 on: April 01, 2019, 11:44:35 am »

Count me in. The cast is ridiculous and Jarmusch is more hit than miss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs5ZOcU6Bnw

Looks like fun!

« Reply #593 on: May 17, 2019, 11:47:10 am »
JUN29
World Premiere: Punk the Capital + Q&A
Public · Hosted by AFI Silver Theatre and Cultural Center

When punk rock exploded in Washington, DC, in the late 1970s, it was a mighty, intergenerational convergence of powerful music, close friendships and clear minds. Featuring breathtaking Super-8 footage filmed at some of the earliest punk shows in DC, PUNK THE CAPITAL takes us through that transformative period (1976–1983), situating DC punk and DC harDCore within the larger narratives of the music industry at that time. The film boasts electrifying performances by legendary bands like Bad Brains and Minor Threat, and others integral to the era like The Slickee Boys and Black Market Baby. An array of interviewees like H.R. and Daryl Jenifer of Bad Brains, Ian MacKaye and Alec MacKaye, Henry Rollins (2.13.61) and Cynthia Connolly of Dischord Records, among others, make for a kaleidoscopic and lyrical documentary that immerses the audience in the sounds and ideas of this celebrated music scene. Against the odds (or perhaps, understandably), punk rock took hold in Washington, DC, and grew into a movement that became a model for DIY culture around the world.

Q&A with filmmakers Paul Bishow, James June Schneider and Sam Lavine to follow
slack

« Reply #594 on: May 22, 2019, 01:02:26 pm »
Highly recommend:The Biggest Little Farm
slack

« Reply #595 on: May 22, 2019, 04:49:53 pm »
this looks good
DC Caribbean FilmFest: Rudeboy: The Story of Trojan Records
 AFI Silver Theatre
SAT, JUN 8 & TUE, JUN 11

During the late 1960s and early '70s, London label Trojan Records — founded by Jamaican-born businessman Lee Gopthal — became one of the most influential Jamaican record companies in history. Combining archival footage, dramatic reconstructions and interviews with legendary artists, RUDEBOY places the story of Trojan Records at the heart of a cultural revolution which unfolded in the council estates and across the dancefloors of Britain, where ska, rocksteady and reggae announced a black presence in Britain, as immigration and innovation transformed popular music and culture. Told by a cast of musical legends including Lee Scratch Perry (official), Toots Hibbert, Ken Boothe, Neville Staple, Marcia Griffiths, Dave Barker, Dandy Livingstone, Lloyd Coxsone, Pauline Black, Derrick Morgan and more, RUDEBOY interweaves the emergence of an influential musical movement with Jamaica's post-colonial history.
slack

« Reply #596 on: June 04, 2019, 04:53:31 pm »
this was really good...thanks for the reco
This isn't necessarily breaking news, but I just noticed that "Salad Days" is available to stream for free on Amazon Prime video.
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #597 on: June 04, 2019, 05:02:29 pm »
Even thought it lost the Best Foreign Film Oscar, Capernaum garnered the rare five star Netflix Space Review.

After running away from his negligent parents, committing a violent crime and being sentenced to five years in jail, a hardened, streetwise 12-year-old Lebanese boy sues his parents in protest of the life they have given him.

« Reply #598 on: June 06, 2019, 10:48:59 am »
haven't seen it, but hits theaters in the area this weekend

Echo In The Canyon....looks awesome

somewhat related...
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 10:53:07 am by Is it just me... ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

« Reply #599 on: June 11, 2019, 12:15:54 pm »
not sure anyone was asking for this...but

John Turturro has made a spin-off to The Big Lebowski about his character Jesus Quintana: "It shows how stupid men are."  blessed by Choen bros
slack