Author Topic: Recommend some good movies!  (Read 258298 times)

WALKonBack

Re: Recommend some good movies!
« Reply #840 on: April 15, 2021, 05:44:22 pm »
Got to watch Blue Velvet on the big screen.

Every,thing.  Damn.  Still holds up, but a bit dated looking.   Twin Peaks was born from this film.

Yada

« Reply #841 on: April 15, 2021, 06:02:45 pm »
Anyone want to add to their already depressing mental state,  then definitely watch this.  Holy shit.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seaspiracy

It's mostly right (we are in fact trashing the oceans and over-harvesting what's left)

Thanks for confirming what the movie confirmed.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #842 on: April 15, 2021, 06:05:32 pm »
Got to watch Blue Velvet on the big screen.

Every,thing.  Damn.  Still holds up, but a bit dated looking.   Twin Peaks was born from this film.
I actually just bought this yesterday.
LVMH

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #843 on: April 16, 2021, 07:42:21 am »
Anyone want to add to their already depressing mental state,  then definitely watch this.  Holy shit.

It's mostly right (we are in fact trashing the oceans and over-harvesting what's left)

Read the Times’ review on this and was kinda discouraged. Sounds like a really good topic but it could have been handled better. Some of the folks included in the film have since disavowed it. 

brennser

« Reply #844 on: April 16, 2021, 12:00:23 pm »
The Other Music documentary on Amazon Prime is good

Space Freely

« Reply #845 on: April 16, 2021, 12:35:07 pm »
The Other Music documentary on Amazon Prime is good

I liked that one a lot, too.

Yada

« Reply #846 on: April 16, 2021, 01:18:30 pm »

Read the Times’ review on this and was kinda discouraged. Sounds like a really good topic but it could have been handled better. Some of the folks included in the film have since disavowed it.

I'm not taking the doc as gospel, but god damn is it f'd up no matter how you slice it.

Space Freely

« Reply #847 on: April 16, 2021, 01:34:14 pm »

I'm not taking the doc as gospel, but god damn is it f'd up no matter how you slice it.

It made me give up fish for a few days. I was vegetarian for a number of years but at some point did start eating fish. Maybe like three times a month or so.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #848 on: April 16, 2021, 03:53:36 pm »

Of course it is. There are humans involved. Everything we touch, eventually is.

WALKonBack

« Reply #849 on: April 17, 2021, 04:48:38 pm »
Has anybody seen a movie called A Field in England?

I just watched the trailer and I am pretty sure I was on drugs even though I wasn't.

hutch

« Reply #850 on: April 17, 2021, 05:52:10 pm »
I saw a movie called “Everything is illuminated” last night

One of the main actors - and I didn’t recognize him - was Eugene Hutz from Gogol Bordello! He was fantastic

Excellent movie excellent performances

The subject matter made me a bit sad...

Recommended

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #851 on: April 17, 2021, 09:21:20 pm »

I just watched the trailer and I am pretty sure I was on drugs even though I wasn't.

Just watched it. Weird movie. I didn't get it.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #852 on: April 18, 2021, 03:45:03 am »
I saw a movie called “Everything is illuminated” last night

One of the main actors - and I didn’t recognize him - was Eugene Hutz from Gogol Bordello! He was fantastic

Excellent movie excellent performances

The subject matter made me a bit sad...

Recommended

ditto.
<sig>

K8teebug

« Reply #853 on: April 19, 2021, 10:54:32 am »

YES. and YES. The whole movie is like that.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #854 on: April 21, 2021, 04:26:20 pm »
Anyone want to add to their already depressing mental state,  then definitely watch this.  Holy shit.https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seaspiracy

the movie confirmed very little.  what it did do is take a grain of truth and then expand it into places it should have never been taken, thus diluting its value to a vanishing point.  that wikipedia entry lists numerous issues with the movie.

the movie says we shouldn't harvest ANYTING from the sea.  that is irresponsible and stupid.  like any other natural resource, it can be used sustainably.  saying shit like "no more fishing ever" is just going to alienate anyone with half a brain, and generally do a disservice to the environmental cause.

i could go on, but i'll just leave you with this from actual experts:

3 Documentaries to Watch Instead of ‘Seaspiracy’
Marine biologists aren’t impressed with Netflix’s hit documentary on ocean conservation. They recommended some other films on the subject for us.

If it’s mostly right not sure what the big problem is... or why you discredit it

I am tired of this bothsidesism
it's not bothsidism, which i also despise.  it's the belief that the ends justify the means that gets to me.  we get all up in arms when the other side does it but somehow tolerate it when our side does it... i can't abide by that, nor its consequences.  i see a lot of equivalency between folks ready to swallow seaspiracy because they're pro-environmentalism so damn the details; and folks on the right who don't truly believe trump's Big Lie but are willing to go along with it because it is in general alignment with their beliefs. 
<sig>