Author Topic: Recommend some good movies!  (Read 258265 times)

hutch

Re: Recommend some good movies!
« Reply #855 on: April 21, 2021, 04:32:18 pm »
Yeah not a big fan of Michael Moore for that reason

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #856 on: April 21, 2021, 05:53:21 pm »
Yeah not a big fan of Michael Moore for that reason

yup, agreed.
<sig>

BrettnotBritt

« Reply #857 on: April 21, 2021, 06:07:16 pm »
Nomadland was a snoozer for me. Daniel Kaluuya was fantastic in Judas and the Black Messiah but the movie itself was good but not great - felt like it was missing an extra gear.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #858 on: April 22, 2021, 06:47:08 pm »
for hutch?

Ozzy Osbourne, Robert Plant, Liam Gallagher, More Star in New Documentary Rockfield: The Studio on the Farm
Due out May 14th, the film tells the story of the legendary residential studio in the Welsh countryside
<sig>

hutch

« Reply #859 on: April 22, 2021, 06:51:21 pm »
I like some stuff recorded there
but can’t see watching this

Thanks 🙏 though

hutch

« Reply #860 on: April 22, 2021, 06:52:09 pm »
Tonight I might watch the queen’s gambit

Space Freely

« Reply #861 on: April 22, 2021, 07:53:46 pm »

That's actually a tv series and not a movie, but it's a good one.

Space Freely

« Reply #862 on: April 26, 2021, 09:43:47 am »
Well the Oscars were last night. I thought they were going a little overboard with the wokeness factor, but then they gave the big acting awards to two old white people, and the documentary to a white guy and his octopus, so it all kind of evened out. J. Phoenix followed up his great winner's speech from last year with the most phoned in presenter's speech ever.

And someone please give Glenn Close an Oscar for anything.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #863 on: April 26, 2021, 10:11:23 am »
Well the Oscars were last night. I thought they were going a little overboard with the wokeness factor, but then they gave the big acting awards to two old white people, and the documentary to a white guy and his octopus, so it all kind of evened out. J. Phoenix followed up his great winner's speech from last year with the most phoned in presenter's speech ever.

Wait. So recognizing women, people of color and other minorities is only a result of being "woke", and not because they've actually, y'know, accomplished something worthy? And only old white men are actually worthy of winning?

hutch

« Reply #864 on: April 26, 2021, 10:21:18 am »
Uh oh here we go

Space Freely

« Reply #865 on: April 26, 2021, 10:23:41 am »

Wait. So recognizing women, people of color and other minorities is only a result of being "woke", and not because they've actually, y'know, accomplished something worthy? And only old white men are actually worthy of winning?

That's what *you* just said, not me. What I would say is:

For example, when three out of five best supporting actor nominees are black, and the industry they work in is heavily white, and the measure of one's performance is completely subjective, yeah, that seems a little bit woke, doesn't it?

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #866 on: April 26, 2021, 10:27:03 am »
The first episode is a lot of exposition and setting up of pieces (hey! Like Chess!) and pretty dull but the five episodes after that are straight fire. Highly recommend.
LVMH

« Reply #867 on: April 26, 2021, 10:34:34 am »
I don't totally subscribe to Space's view, but I have said on here before in the middle of #OscarsSoWhite that 13-14% of the US population are black and around 16% of Oscar noms in the big four acting categories in the ten years leading up to the #OSW year went to African Americans which seems . . . totally appropriate?

Like there are folks legit upset that Boseman didn't win last night. And that's fine -- people disagree every year about who wins, but to say its because of race is kinda suspect. Again, African-Americans do not have a leg to stand on when it comes to acting noms and wins at the Oscars over the last decade as their numbers outpace their percentage of the population. (Latinos, on the other hand . . . )

I think there is a lot of room of intersectional improvement at the Oscars, but "African Americans" isn't the group I'd point to. What percentage of the Best Picture nominees over the last decade are a story about "a woman does something" vs "a man does something"? (Let me tell you, you'll be stunned if you look. Nomadland is a such an outlier.) Why is no one talking about Latinos (19-20% of the population) getting virtually zero acting nods year in and year out? (Ditto Asian-Americans, pre-Parasite.)

It does feel like we've gotten to the point where any African-American nominee who loses is going to be presented as some sort of covert racism when, like, there's only one trophy and usually 3-4 worthy candidates: someone has to lose.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 10:40:19 am by Julian, Adroit TASTEMAKER »
LVMH

« Reply #868 on: April 26, 2021, 10:39:45 am »
What I would say is:

For example, when three out of five best supporting actor nominees are black, and the industry they work in is heavily white, and the measure of one's performance is completely subjective, yeah, that seems a little bit woke, doesn't it?
Depends what you mean by woke. If you're implying they were nominating lesser performances by AA actors because of some social policy, I'd likely disagree. This was a weird year with less films released (and less big budget films overall because of COVID which tend to still have majority white casts -- a real lingering issue) so perhaps that is why.

If we are sitting here in 2030 and you're telling me over the last decade 50+% of the big four acting nominations are going to African Americans who make up 15% of the population, then yeah, something has gone askew, but a one-off year with tons of Oscar bait not released and held to 2021 because of COVID is not exactly what I'd hang my hat on.
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #869 on: April 28, 2021, 04:10:00 pm »
"Nobody," streaming in Prime.

I love Bob Odenkirk and plan on watching this movie at some point, but I want to say that I would pay money to see 9:30 Forum Hutch play this role.

Summary: When two thieves break into his suburban home one night, Hutch (Bob Odenkirk) declines to defend himself or his family, hoping to prevent serious violence. His teenage son, Blake (Gage Munroe), is disappointed in him and his wife, Becca (Connie Nielsen), seems to pull only further away. The aftermath of the incident strikes a match to Hutch’s long-simmering rage, triggering dormant instincts and propelling him on a brutal path that will surface dark secrets and lethal skills. In a barrage of fists, gunfire and squealing tires, Hutch must save his family from a dangerous adversary (Aleksey Serebryakov)—and ensure that he will never be underestimated as a nobody again.

I'm not usually a fan of films with lots of violence, but this one was thoroughly entertaining.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 03:32:55 pm by Space Freely »