Author Topic: Recommend some good movies!  (Read 258400 times)

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: Recommend some good movies!
« Reply #1005 on: May 16, 2022, 05:24:43 pm »
If Christmas Vacation counts as a true sequel, then yes, it’s definitely a good comedy sequel.
LVMH

GAY,GUY

« Reply #1006 on: May 17, 2022, 10:30:46 pm »
I just went and saw that ole 90's chestnut, Dark City on the big screen. 

Brilliant.  Heavy vibes of the Hellraiser and Twelve Monkees.  I totally forgot it was the next film after The Crow and was supposed to have Brandon Lee as the lead.

GAY,GUY

« Reply #1007 on: July 12, 2022, 09:39:45 am »
Three things.  All comic / nerd related, and two are Marvel related.

I saw The Batman movie, with heavy to low expectations since the lead guy was a total shock to me, to be playing such a role.  But damn, was it an excellent film!  I put it up there with one of the better superhero films, and maybe top 4 of all Batman films.  Not a weak character in the bunch, and what's his name as Bruce Wayne was one of the best portrayals of the person.  His Batman role was ok, but not as incredible as him out of the mask.  I am very happy that we have another prize installment of the series . . . for them to just fuck up with the next movie.

Now, when it comes to Marvel movies.  The last one I saw, the new Doctor Strange Movie, was god awful (pun intended).  The first one was really good and told a great story and offered such a fresh, new place for a superhero to give.  This movie was hokey and tired and you wanted to like the characters, plus the new girl hero with her trans pin . . . but no, it was awful.  I felt taken advantage of when the credits were rolling.  I could not give two shits what was there to be seen if you sat or fast forwarded.  Thank the lord they left the third eye toward to the end, for I would have cut it off right there if that would have been anywhere else.  X-men and Fantastic 4 crossovers?  No.  Hell to the NO.  It almost ruined what WandaVision set to create! 

The last point is the new Thor film.  I have not seen it, but I have hardcore Marvel friends who have and saw Doctor Strange.  They say that Thor was pure garbage, mama, garbage.  And that Gorr was the only bright spot.  We all are starting to agree, that the age of Marvel is over and this new generation of what they are doing post the show, Loki . . . is not working anymore.  Such as the way Star Wars keeps teetering toward that line. 

That's, it.

« Reply #1008 on: July 12, 2022, 09:44:02 am »
this new generation of what they are doing post the show, Loki . . . is not working anymore. 
I thought Loki was one of the best Marvel things to come out in the last few years (after Legion)
I'm not sure if you are saying you like it with this comment or hate it?
slack

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #1009 on: July 12, 2022, 09:45:44 am »
Thanks for this. People need to throw trigger warnings on posts I don't care about more often so I don't waste any precious Julian's Seconds.
LVMH

GAY,GUY

« Reply #1010 on: July 12, 2022, 09:47:35 am »
Worshipped Loki!  I thought it was brilliant!  The introduction of the new supervillain at the end was also great!  I just loved the story telling of the show as a whole, and what's his name is so incredible as Loki.  I can never remember names, as you can see.

GAY,GUY

« Reply #1011 on: July 12, 2022, 09:48:33 am »
Thanks for this. People need to throw trigger warnings on posts I don't care about more often so I don't waste any precious Julian's Seconds.

I should Patent, Pre-Post Cliff Notes

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #1012 on: August 01, 2022, 03:17:35 pm »
I went to see Nope about a week ago, and the very best thing about it was the trailer for the David Bowie movie. Which I will be seeing. Nope was ok too, but Get Out was better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUvjaPIEIBs
« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 03:41:56 pm by Off-season Santa »

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #1013 on: August 11, 2022, 10:55:47 am »
Speaking of Scottish brilliance, haven't seen it yet but trailer and band featured make look like a must see

On Prime now

Teenage Superstars

w/

BMX Bandits
Primal Scream
Teenage Fanclub
The Jesus and the Mary Chain
The Pastels
The Soup Dragons
The Vaselines

trailer via Sean of The Soup Dragons

https://twitter.com/HifiSean/status/1557506617674936322?s=20&t=YtlWmjlcwPWB6dcjy4FXDQ
T.Rex

« Reply #1014 on: August 11, 2022, 12:54:17 pm »
^looks good, hope they include English subtitles
slack

GAY,GUY

« Reply #1015 on: August 25, 2022, 10:19:24 pm »
Just saw The Invitation.  Awful. Fuck you, for ruining a vampire film genre. Jesus.  Is a blood sucker film, that hard?!

notme

« Reply #1016 on: August 26, 2022, 08:51:05 pm »
pistol is pretty good

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #1017 on: August 26, 2022, 08:55:44 pm »
Any thoughts on Cat Video Fest 2022? Its playing at the AFI this weekend...

GAY,GUY

« Reply #1018 on: September 15, 2022, 11:35:11 am »
This whole The Little Mermaid thing is crazy, from this personal experience.

I remember when the first film came out, and me having no desire to see a Disney animated film for kids . . . with singing!  No way!  Even up until today, when I heard they were making a live action remake, my first reaction was "another one of those things; really?" and then, "I still hate Disney films for kids, with singing."

Then the whole, horrible racism garbage started, right on the heels of the new LOTR, though I think people knew about The Little Mermaid before LOTR came out? It has consumed all aspects of this movie, so much so that one would think how shitty it must be that the film will not even be judged on its merits, with all this bullshit attached to it.

Then I broke down and watched the teaser trailer that everyone is talking about.  The first 30 seconds or so, ok, it is what I expected . . . and then that girl opened her mouth and began to sing; at that moment in time, all else did not matter; nothing that I had read or heard or thought about a film called The Little Mermaid went out the window, as I was somehow transported to a literal someplace else.  It was magical and it a was talent that you know she will be there with us for a very long time.

Wow.  I think I want to go see a Disney film, meant for kids, with singing.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2022, 11:37:59 am by Walk,on,by »

Space Freely

« Reply #1019 on: September 15, 2022, 12:24:47 pm »
I'm playing Katrina Babies in the background as I telework...really good documentary on HBO.