Author Topic: Even More Crappy Lists From Music Magazines  (Read 21540 times)

Re: Even More Crappy Lists From Music Magazines
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2003, 04:37:00 pm »
The only movement Joy Division ever caused was my movement into the next room when they are playing. That dead turd sang like a monotone drunk.

mankie

« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2003, 04:38:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  The only movement Joy Division ever caused was my movement into the next room when they are playing. That dead turd sang like a monotone drunk.
Could you fuck off and go there now please?

markie

« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2003, 04:41:00 pm »
I wonder how you would describe Lou Reed's singing, or Joe strummer/ Mick Jones? If you like singers so much why dont you just listen to Mariah Carey, or Christina Aguilera, or Celine Dion. they are all much better singers than any anyone I have in my collection.

What movement did Joy Division begin, Mankie?

« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2003, 04:41:00 pm »
Let me give credit to my wife for pointing out how awful a singer he was. I haven't listened to any JD for a good ten years, but we heard "Love Will Tear Us Apart" on the radio the other day, and me explaining who it was, she made the astute point that his voice was awful and he sounds like a drunk.

Originally posted by mankie:

Could you fuck off and go there now please? [/b]

mankie

« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2003, 04:48:00 pm »
 [QB] Let me give credit to my wife for pointing out how awful a singer he was. I haven't listened to any JD for a good ten years, but we heard "Love Will Tear Us Apart" on the radio the other day, and me explaining who it was, she made the astute point that his voice was awful and he sounds like a drunk.

Then if your smart, attractive, intelligent, gourmet,great head giving wife said it...it must be so.

I stand corrected, and apologize.

mankie

« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2003, 04:50:00 pm »
Originally posted by markie:
  I wonder how you would describe Lou Reed's singing, or Joe strummer/ Mick Jones? If you like singers so much why dont you just listen to Mariah Carey, or Christina Aguilera, or Celine Dion. they are all much better singers than any anyone I have in my collection.

The whole manc-sound movement (imho)!

And don't forget Charlotte Church.

markie

« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2003, 04:53:00 pm »
I dont know about that Mankie.....

Personally I think New Order did the better job of being an influence with the rock/dance crossed sound. How about a compromise with Bernie Sumner?

mankie

« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2003, 04:59:00 pm »
  I dont know about that Mankie.....

Personally I think New Order did the better job of being an influence with the rock/dance crossed sound. How about a compromise with Bernie Sumner?
Were did New Order come from?? But your point is a good one. I guess Joy Division was getting played in the manc clubs more than anywhere else which is why I think of them before New Order

Bernie it is then.

« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2003, 04:59:00 pm »
I would describe Lou Reed's singing as utter rubbish. Unlistenable in my opinion. Though I do have his New York album, and the fast songs are decent due to the nice guitar work and lyrical wordplay.

Mick Jones/Joe Strummer's voices fit the music they played just fine, but by no stretch were their voices ear pleasing, or even all that interesting.

I don't like the music styles that the other artists that you mention do, so why should I listen to them?

« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2003, 05:03:00 pm »
One of the great things about being married to someone who is not a total music-head who has good taste is that she can give me an honest opinion based on her own taste and not biased by what some dumbass rock music historian has told her she's supposed to like, because it's "important".

[QB] Let me give credit to my wife for pointing out how awful a singer he was. I haven't listened to any JD for a good ten years, but we heard "Love Will Tear Us Apart" on the radio the other day, and me explaining who it was, she made the astute point that his voice was awful and he sounds like a drunk.

Then if your smart, attractive, intelligent, gourmet,great head giving wife said it...it must be so.

I stand corrected, and apologize. [/b]

markie

« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2003, 05:05:00 pm »
so you dont like the clash or the VU.....

Then again, I ask:

If you like singers so much why dont you just listen to Mariah Carey, or Christina Aguilera, or Celine Dion. they are all much better singers than any anyone I have in my collection?

markie

« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2003, 05:08:00 pm »
  Were did New Order come from?? But your point is a good one. I guess Joy Division was getting played in the manc clubs more than anywhere else which is why I think of them before New Order

Bernie it is then.
I dunno, I like Joy Division and its a tragedy that Ian died. But I do wonder if they would have gone on to be as god as New order turned out to be otherwise.

« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2003, 05:10:00 pm »
I like the Clash. I don't think Joe Strummer was much of a singer.

I don't like the VU.

Fortunately, there exists other bands other than the two subsets you describe: bands you like, and Celine Dion styled pop offerings.

mankie

« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2003, 05:16:00 pm »
 [QB] One of the great things about being married to someone who is not a total music-head who has good taste is that she can give me an honest opinion based on her own taste and not biased by what some dumbass rock music historian has told her she's supposed to like, because it's "important".

Which begs the question...what made it important?  ...and why did you need your wife to come to that decision for you?

« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2003, 05:22:00 pm »
I never said it was important. You'll have to ask the rock critics who proclaimed it "important" why they feel it's important.

Joy Division was just a minor blip on my own music radar. They used to play them at the local dance club and i got drunk and danced to them when I was 21. I remember thinking the guy couldn't hold a tune to save his life and much preferring the band they evolved into.

As I said, I haven't listened to them in at least 10 years. We heard the song, she stated her opinion, and I agreed. Sometimes we don't but on this one we did.

[QB] One of the great things about being married to someone who is not a total music-head who has good taste is that she can give me an honest opinion based on her own taste and not biased by what some dumbass rock music historian has told her she's supposed to like, because it's "important".

Which begs the question...what made it important?  ...and why did you need your wife to come to that decision for you? [/b]