Author Topic: Just Announced  (Read 10644923 times)

Hexenjagd

Re: Just Announced
« Reply #31830 on: January 23, 2014, 02:12:42 pm »
13 Feb
Wet Brain, Black Lung (members of the Flying Eyes), Hard Dads, and Dirty Ol' Laz & Big Boy
The Gold Bar

You do not make up D & D rules as you play.  You use a rulebook.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Editions_of_Dungeons_%26_Dragons

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #31831 on: January 23, 2014, 02:12:54 pm »
there are rules in life, just as in there are rules in games.  there are rules to everything, and you follow them, or you die.

hutch

« Reply #31832 on: January 23, 2014, 02:15:46 pm »
its definitely changed..being a nerd used to be a pejorative term...for someone who studied all the time... now its more like nerd is just geek... its kind of endearing actually.. in today's world nerds are kind of cool... after all don't we all use computers?

Relaxer

« Reply #31833 on: January 23, 2014, 02:33:34 pm »
Oh HELL YEAH

SPECIAL APPEARANCE: Midnight cult sensation THE ROOM returns to the E Street Cinema for three special shows this weekend! Writer/director/star Tommy Wiseau and actor Greg Sestero will appear in person at the E Street Cinema on Friday, January 24 ?round Midnight; Saturday, January 25 ?round Midnight; and Sunday, January 26 at 9:00pm. $20 tickets include an autographed poster!
oword

James Ford

« Reply #31834 on: January 23, 2014, 02:42:12 pm »
This would also explain a 2014 Kraftwerk show selling out in three minutes.

I think there's been a much larger acceptance of nerdy/dorky behavior over the last generation. In the 1970s, sitting around and playing video games, reading comic books, and playing D&D was pretty much de facto nerd/dork behavior. Now, hexenjagd is correct: vapid sorority girls go see Xmen movies, its (for some reason) acceptable for 40 year olds to play video games, and everyone has a fantasy football team which is basically D&D 2.0. The question is has what is nerdy/dorky changed because we discovered these things aren't actually nerdy/dorky or is it because we're more accepting of what actually is nerdy/dorky behavior.

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #31835 on: January 23, 2014, 02:52:02 pm »
its definitely changed..being a nerd used to be a pejorative term...for someone who studied all the time... now its more like nerd is just geek... its kind of endearing actually.. in today's world nerds are kind of cool... after all don't we all use computers?

We should go back to treating them with mockery and disdain.  Any adult who reads comic books or plays video games or obsesses over their cell phone is just a loser.  Someone who is content to watch and criticize and endlessly discuss (thinking they are funny) things instead of actually doing them.  People who spend all day criticizing music without being able to play a note.   What great achievement has been made by ANYONE who thought "The Avengers" was a "great" film?  I'm not even sure if that was a movie.  I think it's because a lot of these geeks/nerds have divorced parents and they are emotionally damaged.

Brian

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #31836 on: January 23, 2014, 02:52:47 pm »
Ahem!!!!
T.Rex

James Ford

« Reply #31837 on: January 23, 2014, 02:55:40 pm »
Person who studies all the time....nerd.

Person who does all those other things...loser.

atomic

« Reply #31838 on: January 23, 2014, 02:56:59 pm »
I have never played D&D but I thought all the rules were made up as they went along.   
I have no idea about that.

I know D&D involves dice and adding up points of damage based on some guidebook and the entire thing being imaginary as warlocks and enchanted swords and imps don't exist the same way fantasy football is all about adding up points based on a yardage/touchdown-to-points conversion system and the entire thing being imaginary since your "fantasy football team" is not a real collection of athletes you pay in a real sports league and you own literally nothing. ("You" being a general you, not you, personally, atomic.)

Have you ever watched "the league" does that seem similar to D&D?

atomic

« Reply #31839 on: January 23, 2014, 02:58:13 pm »

They could say the same thing about someone who has to drink every beer rated highly by Beer Advocate in micro-servings.  Instead of just drinking what is handy and getting buzzed.

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #31840 on: January 23, 2014, 02:59:52 pm »
Have you ever watched "the league"
No, I haven't, but I've seen the preview, and those people seem to be infants masquerading as adults.
LVMH

atomic

« Reply #31841 on: January 23, 2014, 03:00:17 pm »
This should probably  move to another thread but...Not all video game playing makes your nerdy.  For example, rock band is a social game for people who like music but who might not have the skill.  Also Rocksmith helps you learn how to play guitar so that isn't nerdy.  

atomic

« Reply #31842 on: January 23, 2014, 03:00:53 pm »
Have you ever watched "the league"
No, I haven't, but I've seen the preview, and those people seem to be infants masquerading as adults.

You should watch the entire series it is pretty funny.  As for being infants it is about men so that probably fits.

James Ford

« Reply #31843 on: January 23, 2014, 03:01:40 pm »
Your beer drinking style is akin to someone who buys Pizza Hut because it's the nearest thing to his house and comes in large boxes. "Hey, it's convenient, and it satisfies my pizza urge!"

They could say the same thing about someone who has to drink every beer rated highly by Beer Advocate in micro-servings.  Instead of just drinking what is handy and getting buzzed.

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #31844 on: January 23, 2014, 03:03:18 pm »
Your beer drinking style is akin to someone who buys Pizza Hut because it's the nearest thing to his house and comes in large boxes. "Hey, it's convenient, and it satisfies my pizza urge!"
OK, this settles it, we need a Pizza Underground thread.
LVMH