Author Topic: Just Announced  (Read 10644758 times)

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
Re: Just Announced
« Reply #31815 on: January 23, 2014, 12:31:46 pm »
calling all comic nerds:

Marvel Universe Live!
09/04/14 - 09/07/14
Verizon Center, Washington, DC
http://marveluniverselive.com/

lowers are $172 with fees, nose-bleeds are $55... i don't see this show doing too well.

This sounds like something for younger children. 

Or 40-year old men who live in their parents' basement and spend their entire day on the internet.

Should we wait outside and beat them up when they come out after the show?

You must be nerdphobic!  LOL...
FUKIT

James Ford

« Reply #31816 on: January 23, 2014, 12:32:14 pm »
Are you referring to all of us?

calling all comic nerds:

Marvel Universe Live!
09/04/14 - 09/07/14
Verizon Center, Washington, DC
http://marveluniverselive.com/

lowers are $172 with fees, nose-bleeds are $55... i don't see this show doing too well.

This sounds like something for younger children. 

Or 40-year old men who live in their parents' basement and spend their entire day on the internet.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #31817 on: January 23, 2014, 12:46:43 pm »
who ever said it wont do well, is an idiot.  people, kids and grown adults, wait in lines for days just for the new pokeman game.  i remember people waiting in lines for a week for the opening of the phantom menance.  this thing is perfect for families, perfect for nerds who buy every special edition of every nerd thing out there.  super hero movies are the hottest thing right now.  hell, they are even making a movie about ant man, for gods sake.  ant man.  it well sell very well.  hell, i might go, if i get a good seat. 

you should see what people pay for those stupid "cons" on every corner of every week, now.  and what they pay just for a signed photo of the guy who played the third rock on the right in the lost episode of the original star trek.  unreal.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 12:49:35 pm by walkonby »

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #31818 on: January 23, 2014, 01:14:01 pm »
Kraftwerk late show now on sale. 10 PM doors.
😐 🎶

Hexenjagd

« Reply #31819 on: January 23, 2014, 01:29:58 pm »
Enjoying big budget Hollywood films, even with comic book characters as the focus of the movies, does NOT make a person a nerd.

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #31820 on: January 23, 2014, 01:45:35 pm »
Enjoying big budget Hollywood films, even with comic book characters as the focus of the movies, does NOT make a person a nerd.

You keep telling yourself that....

I have the feeling these superhero movies are going to burn out quickly, sort of like being a hair metal band when Nirvana came along.

Brian

Hexenjagd

« Reply #31821 on: January 23, 2014, 01:46:45 pm »
Telling myself what?  that liking a Marvel action movie doesnt make a person a nerd? it doesnt.  The term gets thrown out WAY too much.

"Oh I love video games, I am such a NERD."

No, loving video games doesnt make a person a nerd.  What game, Call of Duty?  No you arent a nerd, you are possibly the same type of person as a frat boy.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 01:48:38 pm by Hexenjagd »

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #31822 on: January 23, 2014, 01:49:20 pm »

You keep telling yourself that....

I have the feeling these superhero movies are going to burn out quickly, sort of like being a hair metal band when Nirvana came along.

Brian

coming from some body, whos work, burned out, months ago.

K8teebug

« Reply #31823 on: January 23, 2014, 01:50:33 pm »
Billy Joel (!)
Nats Park
7/26

I thought he was staying in New York....

Tickets on sale Feb 1st at 10am.

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #31824 on: January 23, 2014, 01:54:03 pm »
I think there's been a much larger acceptance of nerdy/dorky behavior over the last generation. In the 1970s, sitting around and playing video games, reading comic books, and playing D&D was pretty much de facto nerd/dork behavior. Now, hexenjagd is correct: vapid sorority girls go see Xmen movies, its (for some reason) acceptable for 40 year olds to play video games, and everyone has a fantasy football team which is basically D&D 2.0. The question is has what is nerdy/dorky changed because we discovered these things aren't actually nerdy/dorky or is it because we're more accepting of what actually is nerdy/dorky behavior.
LVMH

atomic

« Reply #31825 on: January 23, 2014, 01:57:46 pm »
I hate super hero movies.  The only ones I have ever liked were "Super Hero Ex-Girlfriend" some of the Spiderman movies and "Mystery Men".  I don't know they keep making them.  I went to see Captain America because I had never seen a 3-D movie and not only was the movie god awful there was really no 3-D. 

atomic

« Reply #31826 on: January 23, 2014, 02:01:01 pm »
I think there's been a much larger acceptance of nerdy/dorky behavior over the last generation. In the 1970s, sitting around and playing video games, reading comic books, and playing D&D was pretty much de facto nerd/dork behavior. Now, hexenjagd is correct: vapid sorority girls go see Xmen movies, its (for some reason) acceptable for 40 year olds to play video games, and everyone has a fantasy football team which is basically D&D 2.0. The question is has what is nerdy/dorky changed because we discovered these things aren't actually nerdy/dorky or is it because we're more accepting of what actually is nerdy/dorky behavior.

I played fantasy football 2 times and both times in 12 team leagues in which I won the championship.  I think the fact that I knew basically knew nothing about football at the time helped me a lot.  The first time I was 16-0.  Statistics is what helped me as I didn't know any of the players.  I don't think that is anything like Dungeons and Dragon.  Also, I like to trash talk people and tell them how stupid they were for losing to me (Someone who never watched a game all season).  Good fun. 

« Reply #31827 on: January 23, 2014, 02:03:34 pm »
I don't think that is anything like Dungeons and Dragon. 
Its exactly D&D. "My level five running back caused 23 points of damage to your imaginary sports team! Oooooo, time for my acne medication!"
LVMH

atomic

« Reply #31828 on: January 23, 2014, 02:05:49 pm »
I don't think that is anything like Dungeons and Dragon. 
Its exactly D&D. "My level five running back caused 23 points of damage to your imaginary sports team! Oooooo, time for my acne medication!"

I have never played D&D but I thought all the rules were made up as they went along.    While Fantasy Football is based on rules on statistics.  If you are good at statistics and you know nothing about football you will do well.  Probably the more you know about football the worse you will do because you will use your perceptions of players to make your choices. 

« Reply #31829 on: January 23, 2014, 02:09:04 pm »
I have never played D&D but I thought all the rules were made up as they went along.   
I have no idea about that.

I know D&D involves dice and adding up points of damage based on some guidebook and the entire thing being imaginary as warlocks and enchanted swords and imps don't exist the same way fantasy football is all about adding up points based on a yardage/touchdown-to-points conversion system and the entire thing being imaginary since your "fantasy football team" is not a real collection of athletes you pay in a real sports league and you own literally nothing. ("You" being a general you, not you, personally, atomic.)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 02:13:53 pm by Julian, Community ORGANIZER »
LVMH