Author Topic: Just Announced  (Read 10657070 times)

Brian_Wallace

Re: Just Announced
« Reply #22395 on: March 03, 2011, 01:35:26 pm »
You could make a good case though, that Motley Crue, Poison AND Guns N Roses may not have existed without the New York Dolls.

Pretty much. GNR's cover of Human Being is STILL awesome.

This.

Brian

killsaly

« Reply #22396 on: March 03, 2011, 03:06:26 pm »
Thrushes, The Sky Drops, Sleepy Vikings
Metro Gallery
June 17

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #22397 on: March 03, 2011, 05:32:07 pm »
Wanders off to remove sweetcell from christmas card list, primarily for not knowing that new york dolls were a key catalyst for a little movement called punk. 

I know how that feels  ;D
😐 🎶

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #22398 on: March 03, 2011, 05:37:24 pm »
I don't discount their place in the rock n roll pantheon, but the dolls were never my cuppa tea.

Mobius

« Reply #22399 on: March 03, 2011, 07:11:46 pm »
 I didn't think id like the new york dolls much when I thought they were david johanson's band . . .when I heard them as johnny thunders band, with jerry nolan by his side, I became a big fan. 

hutch

« Reply #22400 on: March 03, 2011, 08:12:47 pm »
without Johnny Thunders they are of course not the New York Dolls.

I dont' think there is anything to argue about: their first two records are vital.

IMAmoose24

• 4 Stars out of 5
« Reply #22401 on: March 03, 2011, 10:50:02 pm »
...anyone hear anything more about the arctic monkeys show?

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #22402 on: March 04, 2011, 04:14:48 am »
You could make a good case though, that Motley Crue, Poison AND Guns N Roses may not have existed without the New York Dolls.

Pretty much. GNR's cover of Human Being is STILL awesome.

This.

Brian

So like am I the only person here who despises GnR?  Actually the band is fine.  Its just that noise that Axl makes and passes off as singing makes dogs' ears bleed for miles around.  I really fail to comprehend how anyone could think that is even tolerable let alone good to any degree.
FUKIT

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #22403 on: March 04, 2011, 04:35:05 am »

So like am I the only person here who despises GnR? 

No

azaghal1981

« Reply #22404 on: March 04, 2011, 08:28:16 am »
Axl, Rihanna and Katy Perry should start a vocal trio. They could call themselves the Terrible Tones.
احمد

snailhook

« Reply #22405 on: March 04, 2011, 10:18:40 am »
Yeah, I know The Ex is playing at the Black Cat. Sucks for us. Why don't you surprise me and come to the cheaper show? I promise The Ex won't have strobe lights and they certainly won't be space truckin'. And we won't yell angry political diatribes at you in Dutch accents. We'll do it in rambling stoner-speak instead. Fuck it, go see The Ex. They rule. Then come see us because we'll be a few blocks away and we won't start til after midnight. That is, if you want to miss Madrid's awesome Luger.

Saturday, March 12
Velvet Lounge
915 U St. NW WDC
http://www.velvetloungedc.com/
$8, doors at 9pm, 21+

Kohoutek (nu-psych from beyond)
Luger (Krauty space rock from Madrid)
Caves Caverns (Richmond's best-kept secret)
PJB (aka Psychedelic Jam Band, oh yeah)

Kohoutek
http://www.claviusproductions.org/
"If I was still young and devious (not that I ever was devious, of course?) I?d be tempted to slap a United Artists label on this one, scuff up the sleeve and palm it off as a lost classic from 1971. Filed alongside a host of highly collectable Can, Man, Hawkwind and Amon Duul II LPs nobody would ever be the wiser. And that, to my mind, is no bad thing." (Phil McMullen, Ptolemaic Terrascope)

Luger
http://luger.bandcamp.com/
Lüger is setting the Spanish scene on fire. With less than 2 years under their belt and one record that came out last April they've had enough time to play all over Spain and be one of the highlights at Primavera Club 2010. They've also played in festivals such as Space is the Place (with OM and Acid Mothers Temple) or Monkey Week (Faust, Sonic Boom, Cave, Quintron, etc.).

Ruta 66, the most influential rock magazine in Spain just crowned them best album of 2010 on their January edition and their new album should be out before winter is over. Their eponimous LP is sold out and have just been invited to play SXSW 2011.

Backed by a pounding double-headed rhythm section, the mix includes organ, synth, guitar and throbbing bass lines Lemmy would kill for. Lüger's sound is heavily influenced by classic acts such as Hawkwind, Faust or Neu! so the music is provided with surpassing krautrock elements, however they sound less vintage, rather modern, comparable with the likes of Turzi, Holy Fuck or Wooden Shjips in a wider sense, drawing rave reviews in web forums all over the world.

Caves Caverns
http://www.myspace.com/cavescaverns
http://breathingcave.blogspot.com/
?...they channeled some serious Hawkwind-Acid Mothers-F/i vibes and shoe-horned a lot of sonics into a short set?Apparently the guitar player for Caves Caverns plays the keys for locals Resin Pyramid who put on another stellar opening set at the Moon Duo gig. Really interesting stuff ?well worth checking out in town if you need to get your feet off the ground.? (Mr. Atavist)

The free-form, instrumental heavy psychedelia that this Richmond band plays on their latest release, a four-song, forty-minute cassette, has many worthy antecedents. Most prominent are Ash Ra Tempel?s epic Krautrock space jams and Hawkwind?s acid-soaked biker rock. These trippy jams will pry open your third eye. (Andrew Necci, RVA Magazine)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Upcoming Clavius events:

Friday 3/18 @ Velvet Lounge: Dark Sea Dream (Prophase Records), 28 Degrees Taurus (Boston shoegaze/psych), Night and the City (ex-Girl Loves Distortion/Antiques), Phonic Riot
$8, doors at 9pm, 21+

Thursday 3/24 @ Velvet Lounge: Foul Swoops, Ice Cream, Teen Mom
$7, doors at 8:30pm, 21+

Tuesday 4/5 @ Velvet Lounge: The Extraordinaires (Philly psych-pop), two locals tbd
$8, doors at 8:30pm, 21+

Saturday 4/23 @ Old Fairfax Town Hall: Avant-Fairfax IV w/ Michael Chapman ('60s UK singer/songwriter/guitarist), The Black Twigs (neo-bluegrass from SW Virginia, mem. of Pelt, VHF), Kohoutek, Caves Caverns, Human Adult Band, Drums Like Machine Guns, FUN, Heavy Medical, Nathan Bowles & Scott Verrastro Percussion Duo plus a few more tba
doors at 5pm, all ages

Friday 5/6 @ Velvet Lounge: Ghost Box Orchestra (psych-folk from Boston), Phonic Riot, The Last Tide
$8, doors at 9pm, 21+

Sunday 5/8 @ TBA: Trio StarLicker (mem. of Tortoise/Chicago Underground Duo)

Sunday 6/5 @ TBA: Sediment Club (no wave kids from NYC)

Friday 6/17 @ TBA: Bobb Trimble (seminal Massachusetts folk-psych singer-songwriter, Secretly Canadian), Kuschty Rye Ergot (mem. of Kohoutek)

Friday 9/16 @ Velvet Lounge: Iain Matthews (rare DC appearance from the legendary singer-songwriter from Fairport Convention/Southern Comfort/Plainsong!)
$15, doors at 8pm, 21+

« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 10:21:02 am by snailhook »

eltee

« Reply #22406 on: March 04, 2011, 12:34:46 pm »
How did I miss this until now?
Maybe because you can hardly find any announcements among the chatter in this thread?

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #22407 on: March 04, 2011, 12:43:48 pm »
So like am I the only person here who despises GnR?  Actually the band is fine.  Its just that noise that Axl makes and passes off as singing makes dogs' ears bleed for miles around.  I really fail to comprehend how anyone could think that is even tolerable let alone good to any degree.

I despise Axl's modern version of GNR. The late 80s/early 90s version will always have a special place in the cockles of my heart.

walkonby

« Reply #22408 on: March 04, 2011, 02:29:31 pm »
use your illusion 1 and 2 still make me feel good.

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #22409 on: March 04, 2011, 02:40:58 pm »

I despise Axl's modern version of GNR. The late 80s/early 90s version will always have a special place in the cockles of my heart.

GNR are a classic example of highschool kids starting a band but needed a place to practice. Axl's mum said they could use her basement as long as little Axl was included. The rest, as they say, is history.

Same thing happened with Oasis and Liam....