Author Topic: Just Announced  (Read 10598092 times)

i am gay and i like cats

Re: Just Announced
« Reply #25635 on: March 07, 2012, 08:53:23 pm »
i told a guy that i work with about the howard theatre and how they have reopened and who is playing there.  he freaked.  literally freaked right there in front of me.  the stories he has of seeing shows as a kid to teenager, where he was the only white kid there.  i'm sure he's got a bunch of classics.  when he said, "that place is 'dc's apollo theatre'" . . . i just smiled.

hutch

« Reply #25636 on: March 07, 2012, 10:13:03 pm »
Same night as Chuck Berry at The Howard, so I'm out.  Sorry but I'll have to bow to a rock and roll legend over some halfway decent contemporary acts.

Commence hater-isms

Chuck Berry is a must see; the most important person in the history of rock and roll. I love Cub Koda's essay at the All Music Guide so I'll repost the first paragraph here...

Of all the early breakthrough rock & roll artists, none is more important to the development of the music than Chuck Berry. He is its greatest songwriter, the main shaper of its instrumental voice, one of its greatest guitarists, and one of its greatest performers. Quite simply, without him there would be no Beatles, Rolling Stones, Beach Boys, Bob Dylan, nor a myriad others. There would be no standard "Chuck Berry guitar intro," the instrument's clarion call to get the joint rockin' in any setting. The clippety-clop rhythms of rockabilly would not have been mainstreamed into the now standard 4/4 rock & roll beat. There would be no obsessive wordplay by modern-day tunesmiths; in fact, the whole history (and artistic level) of rock & roll songwriting would have been much poorer without him. Like Brian Wilson said, he wrote "all of the great songs and came up with all the rock & roll beats." Those who do not claim him as a seminal influence or profess a liking for his music and showmanship show their ignorance of rock's development as well as his place as the music's first great creator. Elvis may have fueled rock & roll's imagery, but Chuck Berry was its heartbeat and original mindset.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #25637 on: March 08, 2012, 02:20:52 am »
Exclusive Online Content    
Tune in to the Amex Sync Show presenting JAY Z!

Tune in on Monday, March 12 at 8pm ET / 5pm PT to see the Amex Sync Show presenting JAY Z, broadcast live from SXSW®. Experience JAY Z like never before, as you choose the camera views and chat with a nationwide audience as JAY Z performs some of his greatest hits. Tweet the show at #JayZSyncShow for the opportunity to unlock a special digital concert keepsake.

To view: Go to YouTube.com/AmericanExpress
<sig>

K8teebug

« Reply #25638 on: March 08, 2012, 09:21:23 am »
i told a guy that i work with about the howard theatre and how they have reopened and who is playing there.  he freaked.  literally freaked right there in front of me.  the stories he has of seeing shows as a kid to teenager, where he was the only white kid there.  i'm sure he's got a bunch of classics.  when he said, "that place is 'dc's apollo theatre'" . . . i just smiled.

I am pretty sure my Dad has the same stories.  I wonder if it's the same place.  He went to see James Brown there, if so.

hutch

« Reply #25639 on: March 08, 2012, 09:34:16 am »

I am pretty sure my Dad has the same stories.  I wonder if it's the same place.  He went to see James Brown there, if so.

well its the same land and i believe parts of the same four walls.. .thats about it.. completely rebuilt..

showlistdc

• http://www.showlistdc.com
    • Comprehensive DC-area concert calendar
« Reply #25640 on: March 08, 2012, 12:56:47 pm »
Rod Stewart & Stevie Nicks @ Verizon 7/27.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #25641 on: March 08, 2012, 01:23:19 pm »
Same night as Chuck Berry at The Howard, so I'm out.  Sorry but I'll have to bow to a rock and roll legend over some halfway decent contemporary acts.

Commence hater-isms

Chuck Berry is a must see; the most important person in the history of rock and roll. I love Cub Koda's essay at the All Music Guide so I'll repost the first paragraph here...

Of all the early breakthrough rock & roll artists, none is more important to the development of the music than Chuck Berry. He is its greatest songwriter, the main shaper of its instrumental voice, one of its greatest guitarists, and one of its greatest performers. Quite simply, without him there would be no Beatles, Rolling Stones, Beach Boys, Bob Dylan, nor a myriad others. There would be no standard "Chuck Berry guitar intro," the instrument's clarion call to get the joint rockin' in any setting. The clippety-clop rhythms of rockabilly would not have been mainstreamed into the now standard 4/4 rock & roll beat. There would be no obsessive wordplay by modern-day tunesmiths; in fact, the whole history (and artistic level) of rock & roll songwriting would have been much poorer without him. Like Brian Wilson said, he wrote "all of the great songs and came up with all the rock & roll beats." Those who do not claim him as a seminal influence or profess a liking for his music and showmanship show their ignorance of rock's development as well as his place as the music's first great creator. Elvis may have fueled rock & roll's imagery, but Chuck Berry was its heartbeat and original mindset.

Plus, he gives a mean golden shower.

hutch

« Reply #25642 on: March 08, 2012, 01:45:25 pm »

Commence hater-isms

Plus, he gives a mean golden shower.

what a juvenile, disrespectul and above all unnecessary comment.

You are an ass, Chaz.

chaz

« Reply #25643 on: March 08, 2012, 01:48:44 pm »

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #25644 on: March 08, 2012, 02:10:18 pm »
well he did pee on some chick on video . . . like that is so horrible compared to what other musicians have done throughout the ages.  one night on a led zeppelin tour bus makes peeing on a chick . . . an xtube video. 

there is a fine line between hysterical and uncalledfor.  i voted for the first. 

chaz

« Reply #25645 on: March 08, 2012, 02:15:05 pm »
While not my cup of tea, I don't think golden showers are horrible at all. 

Was my comment juvenile?  Absolutely.

Relevant, perhaps.

Uncalled for and disrespectful?  Maybe for a pollyanna.

For the record, I agree that Chuck Berry is arguably the most important figure in the evolution of rock n' roll, but I have not interest in seeing him live.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 02:44:27 pm by chaz »

Vas Deferens

« Reply #25646 on: March 08, 2012, 02:31:32 pm »
Not for $98!  ;D
(_|_)

Yada

« Reply #25647 on: March 08, 2012, 03:24:57 pm »

hutch

« Reply #25648 on: March 08, 2012, 03:55:43 pm »
Not for $98!  ;D

well I won't either.. cause I saw him already

He is too old to be performing BUT if I hadn't see him I'd gladly pony up $98..

it IS Chuck Berry after all.

the fact he is around and performing is amazing....

although I have to admit I'm tempted to go hang out around the Howard and try and get my After School Session or The Great 28 LP signed...

as far as the infantile joke by Chaz who is normally one of the sane voices here: hey BOZO its Chuck Berry; the single biggest influence on the music you love....the guy who punched out Keith Richards. RESPECT.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 03:57:25 pm by hutch »

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #25649 on: March 08, 2012, 04:06:01 pm »
it IS Chuck Berry after all.

Pretty sure that's the same thing folks say when they pony up for Bob Dylan tickets.  It's Bob, fer chrissakes! (and I know he gives a great performance every once in a while, but he is not the artist he once was)

I've seen chuck Berry but even if I hadn't I wouldn't be interested.  Ship has sailed on that one.