Author Topic: Just Announced  (Read 9992476 times)

atomicfront

Re: Just Announced
« Reply #28185 on: December 12, 2012, 10:50:12 am »
What is your criteria? Of those that got in, it appears that Rush and Heart are the only ones that actually play rock and roll.

Rush gets into Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. The Meters do not.

Neither did Kraftwerk. Of those that did, Rush is the least worthy.

Innovation and lasting influence. Rush's influence is mostly selling lots of drums. Sure, they're very popular but I don't get any sense of their musical DNA in anything. Kraftwerk certainly hasn't sold as many records or tickets but their innovation and influence is staggeringly massive.

As for Heart, they paved the way for women in hard rock. No small feat.

Donna Summer's song "I Feel Love" could be considered the dividing line between the analog and digital eras of popular music (and the HOF is really about popular music, not just white boys and their guitars). While that song alone wouldn't get her in, it's absolutely the deciding factor.

I had the conversation with my wife last night that why don't they change the name of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame to the popular music hall of fame.  As Albert King is blues, Donna Summer is pop/disco and Public Enemy is rap.  Anyway Rush doesn't belong in any hall of fame.  They are truely an awful band.  When you start putting Rush into hall of fames you might as well just add everyone.  While someone truely innovative like the Cure, Jesus and Mary Chain, Depeche Mode, Cocteau Twins are left out.

K8teebug

« Reply #28186 on: December 12, 2012, 10:57:13 am »
I have been to the Hall of Fame four times and the museum is way more interesting than the Hall of Fame itself.  I am not a fan of Rush, but I can understand how they get the recognition before Depeche Mode.  It's like the Grammys...the band you like typically does not get nominated for Album of the Year.

atomicfront

« Reply #28187 on: December 12, 2012, 01:34:59 pm »
I have been to the Hall of Fame four times and the museum is way more interesting than the Hall of Fame itself.  I am not a fan of Rush, but I can understand how they get the recognition before Depeche Mode.  It's like the Grammys...the band you like typically does not get nominated for Album of the Year.

I was at the Rock n Roll hall of fame when it first opened.  I will have to say it is worth visiting.  But truth be told I prefered the Country music hall of fame.   And it is near all the honkey tonk's so you can go to CMHOF and then listen to some country music afterwards. 

K8teebug

« Reply #28188 on: December 12, 2012, 02:14:49 pm »

I was at the Rock n Roll hall of fame when it first opened.  I will have to say it is worth visiting.  But truth be told I prefered the Country music hall of fame.   And it is near all the honkey tonk's so you can go to CMHOF and then listen to some country music afterwards. 

We always visit on our way back from Cedar Point :)

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #28189 on: December 12, 2012, 02:17:10 pm »
Coincidentally, I'm heading there this weekend.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #28190 on: December 12, 2012, 03:55:07 pm »
could we please not clog up Just Announced with your inane opinions of museums and associated travel plans?  thx.
<sig>

RustyOrgan

« Reply #28191 on: December 12, 2012, 04:02:28 pm »
AGREED!

could we please not clog up Just Announced with your inane opinions of museums and associated travel plans?  thx.

atomicfront

« Reply #28192 on: December 12, 2012, 04:12:04 pm »

So you prefer to clog it up with post like these which add nothing?

killsaly

« Reply #28193 on: December 12, 2012, 04:46:27 pm »
CYMBALS EAT GUITARS opening for Quicksand

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #28194 on: December 12, 2012, 05:24:22 pm »
I really hate Death Cab for Cutie. 

azaghal1981

« Reply #28195 on: December 12, 2012, 07:55:00 pm »
Ex-Cult and Roomrunner opening for Ty Segall.
احمد

hutch

« Reply #28196 on: December 13, 2012, 12:46:07 pm »
fishbone
the howard
3-3-13

hutch

« Reply #28197 on: December 13, 2012, 12:47:49 pm »
the wailers
the howard