Author Topic: Just Announced  (Read 10027167 times)

emmanuel

Re: Just Announced
« Reply #33060 on: May 29, 2014, 09:54:15 am »
I would love to see Sharon Jones for free, but the 7:30 start time on a Friday in Baltimore is impossible for us. Too bad she's not playing Sat or Sun for free. Plus, I already have a ticket for Camera Obscura for that night.

Will drive from Baltimore to DC to Camera Obscura  :-\. I wish it was the next day too.

DotTheEyes

« Reply #33061 on: May 29, 2014, 12:51:25 pm »
Feed Me
8/15
9:30 Club

Yelle
10/11

Bombay Bicycle Club, Milo Greene
10/19

Unsanity

« Reply #33062 on: May 29, 2014, 01:19:48 pm »
Remember Jam on Penn?

I remember something called Live on Penn. It was a free concert series like every Saturday right? Am I thinking of the same thing? I remember Violent Femmes and Cracker were going to play one but it got cancelled.

Yada

« Reply #33063 on: May 29, 2014, 01:27:36 pm »
Remember Jam on Penn?

I remember something called Live on Penn. It was a free concert series like every Saturday right? Am I thinking of the same thing? I remember Violent Femmes and Cracker were going to play one but it got cancelled.

uhh yes.. that was the proper name. Usually a pretty shitty line up, but it was a fun summer event in the city. I'm sure if they had it now, there would be upwards of 25k people there.

atomic

« Reply #33064 on: May 29, 2014, 01:58:20 pm »
Cake better than Sharon Jones? Hahaha. You are disqualified from the game, superbro.

How many years ago was Joan Jett?

I love Cake and Joan Jett....although I stopped buying Cake's stuff after Pressure Chief..

I keep trying to figure out what people love about Sharon Jones.... I mean people say its like 60s soul or something but it just doesn't begin to compare to Etta or Aretha....no way no how.. If there was a band that could do something like Aretha's Lady Soul I'd be the first to go crazy over it...I just dont hear it with Sharon Jones and the Daptones... I'm the first guy to be into retro sounding bands but they have to be at least somewhere nearly as good....it can't be about production...

I listen to retro soul bands all the time and Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings are simply one of the best out there.  Great singer, songwriting and tight as hell band.

I listen to retro soul bands as well and think Sharon Jones is the worst of the signers in those bands.. Nothing wrong with the Dap-Kings...weren't they Amy Winehouse's band.  They sounded great with Amy I don't know why they aligned them with Sharon Jones as she is an awful singer.  But whatever. 

atomic

« Reply #33065 on: May 29, 2014, 02:00:05 pm »
And Drive By Truckers another year.

Admittedly, it's more about personal taste than actual measurable quality.

I would love to see Sharon Jones for free, but the 7:30 start time on a Friday in Baltimore is impossible for us. Too bad she's not playing Sat or Sun for free. Plus, I already have a ticket for Camera Obscura for that night.

They had the Old 97's and the Avett Brothers one year, but that's been a while...  maybe 2006 or 2007.

Name a year in recent memory that Artscape lineup was any better?

I'd say Sharon Jones is the best headliner they've had in years...though for me not worth battling Friday DC traffic to get to.

Rev Horton Heat 7/19 at Artscape as well.  Overall, I think the Artscape lineup is extremely poor this year. Not really into any of the local bands either. Plurals maybe ok in a goofy way.

Can't stand Drive By Truckers but they aren't as big as Cake were when they played Artscape.  Actually it was impossible to actually see Cake play as the crowd was so huge. 

dyecraig

« Reply #33066 on: May 29, 2014, 02:53:57 pm »
Cake better than Sharon Jones? Hahaha. You are disqualified from the game, superbro.

How many years ago was Joan Jett?

I love Cake and Joan Jett....although I stopped buying Cake's stuff after Pressure Chief..

I keep trying to figure out what people love about Sharon Jones.... I mean people say its like 60s soul or something but it just doesn't begin to compare to Etta or Aretha....no way no how.. If there was a band that could do something like Aretha's Lady Soul I'd be the first to go crazy over it...I just dont hear it with Sharon Jones and the Daptones... I'm the first guy to be into retro sounding bands but they have to be at least somewhere nearly as good....it can't be about production...

I listen to retro soul bands all the time and Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings are simply one of the best out there.  Great singer, songwriting and tight as hell band.

I listen to retro soul bands as well and think Sharon Jones is the worst of the signers in those bands.. Nothing wrong with the Dap-Kings...weren't they Amy Winehouse's band.  They sounded great with Amy I don't know why they aligned them with Sharon Jones as she is an awful singer.  But whatever. 

they were Sharon's band before they were Amy's

Seth Hurwitz

• Administrator
« Reply #33067 on: May 29, 2014, 03:34:41 pm »
obviously in my profession one needs to be aware and tolerant of all peoples' tastes, but I am here to tell you that I cannot imagine anyone?anyone?standing in front of Sharon Jones performing and not being moved by her magic

so if you haven't seen her, I understand why you may not get it, but that's only because you haven't seen her and never mind what else you may know about her

Yada

« Reply #33068 on: May 29, 2014, 04:01:45 pm »
obviously in my profession one needs to be aware and tolerant of all peoples' tastes, but I am here to tell you that I cannot imagine anyone?anyone?standing in front of Sharon Jones performing and not being moved by her magic

so if you haven't seen her, I understand why you may not get it, but that's only because you haven't seen her and never mind what else you may know about her

Seth, there is a thread somewhere on here about atomic's opinion being null and void.

James Ford

« Reply #33069 on: May 29, 2014, 04:10:12 pm »
I realize that many frat boys and aging former frat boys have adopted Cake as their token "weird" band, which would explain the large crowds. That still doesn't make them any good.

They had the Old 97's and the Avett Brothers one year, but that's been a while...  maybe 2006 or 2007.

I'd say Sharon Jones is the best headliner they've had in years...though for me not worth battling Friday DC traffic to get to.

Rev Horton Heat 7/19 at Artscape as well.  Overall, I think the Artscape lineup is extremely poor this year. Not really into any of the local bands either. Plurals maybe ok in a goofy way.

Can't stand Drive By Truckers but they aren't as big as Cake were when they played Artscape.  Actually it was impossible to actually see Cake play as the crowd was so huge. 

atomic

« Reply #33070 on: May 29, 2014, 04:10:48 pm »

Seth, there is a thread somewhere on here about atomic's opinion being null and void.

Null and void because I don't care for an artist who has been around forever and is still playing before 1000 person crowds?  Anyway I haven't seen her live so I won't assume she is another Yo Lo Tengo who are just awful but people on here like anyway.

atomic

« Reply #33071 on: May 29, 2014, 04:12:58 pm »
I realize that many frat boys and aging former frat boys have adopted Cake as their token "weird" band, which would explain the large crowds. That still doesn't make them any good.

Wasn't a Frat Boy crowd and girls genearlly like Cake.  But what are wrong with Frat boys?  Did they not invite you to their parties when you were at University? 

hutch

« Reply #33072 on: May 29, 2014, 04:50:29 pm »

Noted.

« Reply #33073 on: May 29, 2014, 04:59:16 pm »
slack

Vas Deferens

« Reply #33074 on: May 29, 2014, 05:43:27 pm »
Doyle (Misfits)
Metro Gallery
8/19
(_|_)