Author Topic: Just Announced  (Read 10282600 times)

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
Re: Just Announced
« Reply #37365 on: February 26, 2016, 12:27:18 pm »
I've met a handful of musicians and most of the time its "Thanks!" and take a picture and sign something. I think Josh Homme was the nicest. We ended up stranded in the rain after their show [I think back in 05? I was still in HS and didn't drive] and he came out on his way to the bus and sat with us for a couple minutes. He signed my poster, as did the rest of the band, and he shot the shit with us about the tour and new album, it was so cool. I still have that signed poster up in my room and it was cool to see it at the 930 World Fair!

I think Brian [I think? Drummer from Yeah Yeah Yeahs] was one of the nicest musicians I met. We waited after the show to meet Karen O and the whole band came out and took pictures and chatted with us. Asked us how we enjoyed the show and thanked us and stuff. It was super great.
‼‼?‼‼

« Reply #37366 on: February 26, 2016, 03:56:08 pm »
4/3
Tony Visconti & Woody Woodmansey's HOLY HOLY - Celebrating David Bowie
@ Baltimore Soundstage

Down to $15 on Goldstar
slack

Kubacheck

« Reply #37367 on: February 26, 2016, 04:06:39 pm »
in this day and age of needing alternative ways to make a buck, I don't begrudge artists for resorting to that to help their bottom line, it's my choice whether I want to pay it or not..... and I have paid for a couple of meet and greets, when I had something specific to have signed or just because I wanted a photo with someone.... I paid the $50 to meet Devo when they came to the State Theater a few years ago because I had taken a decent photo of them previously that I thought would be cool to have them sign..... and a good thing I did when I did, because Bob2 is no longer with us....

« Reply #37368 on: February 29, 2016, 11:25:05 am »
Jason Isbell, Chris Stapleton and Frank Turner
June 18 - Columbia, MD - Merriweather Post Pavilion

I predicted Isbell would be back as a headliner, but I can't think of a worse undercard than that.

Well if you wanted to catch Jason without Chris (but with Frank)
you could head down to Richmond's Altria Theater Tuesday, June 21
$29 for balc seats (compared with the $90 for pav seats at MPP)

edit...the thought of going south on 95 on a Tuesday night to get to the show by 8 ...makes me shudder
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 11:27:06 am by Sidehatch ★ |̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅| ❄️ »
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #37369 on: February 29, 2016, 11:29:26 am »
Jason Isbell, Chris Stapleton and Frank Turner
June 18 - Columbia, MD - Merriweather Post Pavilion

I predicted Isbell would be back as a headliner, but I can't think of a worse undercard than that.

Well if you wanted to catch Jason without Chris (but with Frank)
you could head down to Richmond's Altria Theater Tuesday, June 21

Thanks, had thought of that. Might've been able to swing it on a weekend, but not a possibility mid-week. I've seen Jason headline at Rock and Roll Hotel and opening for MMJ last year, as well as multiple times with DBT at the 9:30 Club. Guess that can suffice for me.

I've done an early Richmond show mid-week. It involved leaving work early and doing dinner in Richmond pre-show. It was also before I had a kid who was in school, and while my wife was working part-time from home (was at Lewis Ginter Gardens and was kid-friendly).
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 11:33:56 am by Space Freely »

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #37370 on: February 29, 2016, 11:30:32 am »

great apples-to-apples comparison, brah.
<sig>

« Reply #37371 on: February 29, 2016, 11:38:11 am »

I kinda expect the 'brah' ending from yada, from you it just sounds odd

I agree should have put that orch was $49, just sounded more dramatic with a $60 dif

but IMHO Balc seats in a theater like that would be better than possibly 50-75% of the Pav seats at MPP
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 11:40:14 am by Sidehatch ★ |̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅| ❄️ »
slack

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #37372 on: February 29, 2016, 11:41:05 am »

It actually is. I guarantee you the balcony at Altria Theatre is closer to the stage than the back of the pavilion is to the stage at MPP.
LVMH

Vas Deferens

« Reply #37373 on: February 29, 2016, 11:42:24 am »
Neko Case/ kd lang / Laura Veirs
Performing as case/lang/veirs

Lincoln Theatre
7/27
(_|_)

hutch

« Reply #37374 on: February 29, 2016, 12:37:17 pm »
There is no comparison.. the Altria Theatre is a far better place to see a show.. think about how much better the sound will be...

I wish people would just call it the Mosque ...

BTW the Mosque is where Sinatra collapses while singing My Way! One of his final concerts.. 1994. I graduated from college in Richmond in 1993.. I wonder if I had lived there if I would have gone.. I really really regret not seeing him.. although seeing him collapse would have been weird.

but if you want shitty sight lines, shitty sound and to pay 3 times as much MPP is your place!

and BTW getting to MPP from NoVA (some of us do live here Sweetcell..sorry)  ain't no picnic either...
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 12:39:52 pm by hutch »

analogfossa

« Reply #37375 on: February 29, 2016, 01:02:06 pm »
More info on Flight of the Conchords upcoming tour.
New music on the tour as well!
http://pitchfork.com/news/63857-flight-of-the-conchords-announce-tour/

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #37376 on: February 29, 2016, 01:03:21 pm »
think about how much better the sound will be...
I have never thought an indoor venue (particularly one of that size) had better sound than an open-air amphitheater.
LVMH

« Reply #37377 on: February 29, 2016, 01:04:39 pm »
I have never thought an indoor venue (particularly one of that size) had better sound than an open-air amphitheater.
Really...I've had very few good sounding outdoor experiences on the whole
guess I've been spoiled by the 930 club
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #37378 on: February 29, 2016, 01:09:29 pm »
Really...I've had very few good sounding outdoor experiences on the whole
guess I've been spoiled by the 930 club

How does Strathmore compare to MPP Pavillion?

hutch

« Reply #37379 on: February 29, 2016, 01:12:48 pm »

POTW