Author Topic: Just Announced  (Read 10681910 times)

Space Freely

Re: Just Announced
« Reply #52860 on: October 20, 2022, 09:54:48 am »
No matter how much Julian tries to tell us that Chapelle's standup is unfunny.
Its so funny you bought a ticket, right?

I've never understood why one would buy a ticket to a large venue comedy show when on can just watch a Netflix special with a better seat and better beer. That would apply to Chapelle, Rock, and Burr. I'd see any of their shows, but i'd see them on my TV.

Starsky

« Reply #52861 on: October 20, 2022, 10:04:04 am »
Sounds suspiciously like the old men complaining about parking, beer prices and cell phones at concerts and proudly talking about how they will wait for the concert DVD.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #52862 on: October 20, 2022, 01:26:03 pm »
buddy guy going on his farewell/retirement tour, but no dates on the east coast... or west coast, for that matter.  the article says more dates are expected but it's unclear to me if they mean in the US or in Australia.

Buddy Guy announces farewell tour, featuring Eric Gales, Christone “Kingfish” Ingram, Ally Venable and more
Tom Hambridge and King Solomon Hicks will also join the blues guitar veteran, who bids adieu to extensive touring
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #52863 on: October 20, 2022, 01:32:29 pm »
Sounds suspiciously like the old men complaining about parking, beer prices and cell phones at concerts and proudly talking about how they will wait for the concert DVD.

I'm certainly not going to criticize someone if that's how they feel about live music. Hell, i'm married to one of those people. But for me, live music is different and (usually) better in person than watching it on TV. Experiencing the energy of the band and how they play off the energy of the crowd, as well as the sheer volume and sound quality and in some cases the lighting really can't be duplicated on my TV screen. Dudes telling jokes, at least for me, is a different story than live music.

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #52864 on: October 20, 2022, 01:38:08 pm »
I'm going to take a weird tangent for a second because this reminds me of something:

When I was in Europe recently, I saw a poster for a French stand-up comic. And obviously, comics exist in other non-English speaking countries, of course. But I was wondering, do we think there's a "comic buff" world (like film buffs) that trades subtitled tapes of other country's standup comics the way people watch non-English films in the US?

If so, does the comedy still "work"? Is much of the comedy lost reading it vs hearing a person say it in a language you understand and understanding the tone of their voice? I know Western Europe is a melting pot where the majority of people are multi-lingual, but are there legitimately totally-non-English speaking Bill Burr or John Mulaney fans somewhere out there?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2022, 01:45:01 pm by Julian, Adroit TASTEMAKER »
LVMH

bearman🐻

« Reply #52865 on: October 20, 2022, 01:57:35 pm »
That show was fucking awesome!!

Agreed!  Then I could finally see them again! Anyone remember that show at Black Cat...??

B&S reverting to a 9:30 Club level band wouldn't be the worst thing
I do, Isobel's last tour with the band too I think

I was at the Black Cat show. It was dramatically better than the show at the Metro in Chicago I saw the week prior to that. Was also at DAR, can confirm Isobel wasn't there. One of the gals from Rasputina filled in for her.

« Reply #52866 on: October 20, 2022, 02:24:37 pm »
I'm going to take a weird tangent for a second because this reminds me of something:

When I was in Europe recently, I saw a poster for a French stand-up comic. And obviously, comics exist in other non-English speaking countries, of course. But I was wondering, do we think there's a "comic buff" world (like film buffs) that trades subtitled tapes of other country's standup comics the way people watch non-English films in the US?

If so, does the comedy still "work"? Is much of the comedy lost reading it vs hearing a person say it in a language you understand and understanding the tone of their voice? I know Western Europe is a melting pot where the majority of people are multi-lingual, but are there legitimately totally-non-English speaking Bill Burr or John Mulaney fans somewhere out there?

It's hard unless it's physical comedy (i.e. a mime or Roberto Benigni)
Part of comedy is language, and comics like Carlin or steven wright use that
'why do you park on a driveway and drive on a parkway' I don't think would translate correctly and not be funny
but another part is customs/cultural norms ....that don't always translate at all because there is nothing in that culture that is like that

Some things are universal, so those would likely work

but getting to the smakie response...Physical media!  And can you really watch a comedy special more than once?

« Last Edit: October 20, 2022, 02:35:03 pm by snickett-Hatch ıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #52867 on: October 20, 2022, 02:36:53 pm »
Maggie Rogers
Anthem
2/13

Space Freely

« Reply #52868 on: October 20, 2022, 02:44:49 pm »

It's hard unless it's physical comedy (i.e. a mime or Roberto Benigni)
Part of comedy is language, and comics like Carlin or steven wright use that
'why do you park on a driveway and drive on a parkway' I don't think would translate correctly and not be funny
but another part is customs/cultural norms ....that don't always translate at all because there is nothing in that culture that is like that

Some things are universal, so those would likely work

but getting to the smakie response...Physical media!  And can you really watch a comedy special more than once?

I've tried watching some of the foreign standup comedians (mostly in Spanish with English subtitles) on Netflix and they just didn't do it for me.

To answer your final question...for me, I can. If it's months or years later, and i'm watching it with someone else. I've pretty much watched all the Burr and Chapelle Netflix specials with my wife. I went on vacation with my brother, and enjoyed teh same specials almost as much with him, given that it was his first time.

Another question: Can you enjoy a comedy show as much watcing it alone as watching it with someone else? I don't think I can. I prefer having someone to laugh with.

Whereas I definitely think I can enjoy a live music show alone as much as if i'm with someone else.

« Reply #52869 on: October 20, 2022, 02:52:17 pm »

Another question: Can you enjoy a comedy show as much watcing it alone as watching it with someone else? I don't think I can. I prefer having someone to laugh with.

Whereas I definitely think I can enjoy a live music show alone as much as if i'm with someone else.
so that's why live comedy is soo good, just that feeling of the whole audience erupting with laughter is awesome
although I ccan enjoy comedy alone, I often get yelled at for my bellowing laugh out loud moments on the couch after 11 PM by the rest of the light sleepers in the house
slack

Starsky

« Reply #52870 on: October 21, 2022, 10:46:21 am »
Maggie Rogers
2-13
Anthem

Yada

« Reply #52871 on: October 21, 2022, 10:50:47 am »
Maggie Rogers

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #52872 on: October 21, 2022, 11:22:40 am »

bellenseb

« Reply #52873 on: October 24, 2022, 12:56:30 pm »
Chicago
MGM
6/27

« Reply #52874 on: October 24, 2022, 01:14:44 pm »
Rishi Sunak, UK’s next PM
slack