Author Topic: Just Announced  (Read 10597001 times)

IMAmoose24

• 4 Stars out of 5
Re: Just Announced
« Reply #53925 on: April 18, 2023, 08:03:55 pm »
Explosions In The Sky
The Club
10/3

So glad to hear they're still active. I was just thinking of them the other day... Anyone remember their epic show at the club in 2006'ish? That was an all-time top 5 "insane crowd" show- punters would not stop yelling for more, dude from the band had to come out and plead with us to stop and go home because there was a late show (Bob Mould DJ thingy iirc). Truly epic show.

A friend of mine and I still occasionally bring this show up, specifically how strange the bill was and how awful we found The Paper Chase to be. Appears others felt at least somewhat similar (really liked Eluvium and thought Explosions were great).

https://dcist.com/story/07/03/20/explosions-in-t/

"It’s not often that you go to the 9:30 Club and witness three very different shows in one night. Usually you find that the opener, or openers, as in this case, have at least some relative similarity to the main act. And perhaps a case can be made that the instrumental post-rock of headliner Explosions in the Sky, the punk-pop of The Paper Chase and the ambient electronica of Eluvium, all have a sense of drama to them, but whereas Explosions and Eluvium are like epic poems, The Paper Chase is just soap-opera-y. In fact, the disparity is so large that a stronger case could be made that the only thing linking The Paper Chase and Explosions in the Sky is that they are both from Texas."

distance

« Reply #53926 on: April 18, 2023, 10:00:26 pm »
Explosions In The Sky
The Club
10/3

So glad to hear they're still active. I was just thinking of them the other day... Anyone remember their epic show at the club in 2006'ish? That was an all-time top 5 "insane crowd" show- punters would not stop yelling for more, dude from the band had to come out and plead with us to stop and go home because there was a late show (Bob Mould DJ thingy iirc). Truly epic show.

A friend of mine and I still occasionally bring this show up, specifically how strange the bill was and how awful we found The Paper Chase to be. Appears others felt at least somewhat similar (really liked Eluvium and thought Explosions were great).

"It’s not often that you go to the 9:30 Club and witness three very different shows in one night. Usually you find that the opener, or openers, as in this case, have at least some relative similarity to the main act. And perhaps a case can be made that the instrumental post-rock of headliner Explosions in the Sky, the punk-pop of The Paper Chase and the ambient electronica of Eluvium, all have a sense of drama to them, but whereas Explosions and Eluvium are like epic poems, The Paper Chase is just soap-opera-y. In fact, the disparity is so large that a stronger case could be made that the only thing linking The Paper Chase and Explosions in the Sky is that they are both from Texas."

my first eits show had coheed & cambria as the opener.  i think they were just passing through town at the same time.
i had to double check that i was at this 930 show and apparently i was.  i have zero recollection of the paper chase even though i caught 3 of those eits shows with them.

i think i'm going to this show.  haven't been to the club since 2011.  has much changed? i don't think i've popped on here in ages either.

« Reply #53927 on: April 19, 2023, 07:21:55 am »
They have the full 2015 EITS show at 9:30 taped professionally by NPR

Explosions In The Sky: Full Concert | NPR Music Front Row
https://youtu.be/DNMhiMtNq2g
slack

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #53928 on: April 19, 2023, 08:26:30 am »
didn't see an explosion of interest for a show i posted here

there is a presale today.. h/t Simon Raymonde

THE
END
TOUR

Presale tickets Weds April 19, 10am local. PW: THEENDTOUR
General on sale Friday April 21, 10am local

https://twitter.com/mrsimonraymonde/status/1648438640874512386?s=20

T.Rex

Yada

« Reply #53929 on: April 19, 2023, 09:11:16 am »
Explosions In The Sky
The Club
10/3

my first eits show had coheed & cambria as the opener.  i think they were just passing through town at the same time.
i had to double check that i was at this 930 show and apparently i was.  i have zero recollection of the paper chase even though i caught 3 of those eits shows with them.

i think i'm going to this show.  haven't been to the club since 2011.  has much changed? i don't think i've popped on here in ages either.

greetings distance... curious, what makes a man or woman not attend a show at the club for over a decade? Assuming you left town?

« Reply #53930 on: April 19, 2023, 09:36:13 am »
greetings distance... curious, what makes a man or woman not attend a show at the club for over a decade? Assuming you left town?

Hmm, could this be the answer?

September 2011
After a multi-million dollar ground-up construction, the Fillmore Silver Spring opened in September 2011.
slack

distance

« Reply #53931 on: April 19, 2023, 01:03:41 pm »

never was in town.  various things made the 100 mile trek each way less appealing.  also just in general going to less shows.  only been to 5 since my last visit to 930 12 years ago.  it's not personal.  been to the club far more than any other venue.  i'd guess 20% of all the shows i've been to?

Yada

« Reply #53932 on: April 19, 2023, 01:43:41 pm »

never was in town.  various things made the 100 mile trek each way less appealing.  also just in general going to less shows.  only been to 5 since my last visit to 930 12 years ago.  it's not personal.  been to the club far more than any other venue.  i'd guess 20% of all the shows i've been to?

gotcha... was just curious.

distance

« Reply #53933 on: April 19, 2023, 02:16:41 pm »

believe me, if i lived within say easy metro range of dc i would have gone to a LOT more shows over the years.

Space Freely

« Reply #53934 on: April 19, 2023, 02:46:55 pm »

The bolded part probably describes every person I know not associated with this forum. Edit: except for a couple of people.

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #53935 on: April 19, 2023, 02:48:08 pm »

believe me, if i lived within say easy metro range of dc i would have gone to a LOT more shows over the years.
I feel like the concert scene in Richmond is the best it’s ever been over that same time period. Between Broadberry and national you aren’t finding decent shows to go to?
LVMH

distance

« Reply #53936 on: April 19, 2023, 04:37:07 pm »
I feel like the concert scene in Richmond is the best it’s ever been over that same time period. Between Broadberry and national you aren’t finding decent shows to go to?

well, i responding specifically about 930, but i've been to a couple shows at the national.
however, in general i:
a) haven't completely kept track of all the shows happening in richmond
b) started going to bed a lot earlier / getting up earlier / not skipping sleep
c) haven't really been seeking out new music either

i feel like i've really been embracing my role of needing to keep the kids off my lawn and yelling at clouds.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #53937 on: April 19, 2023, 05:10:02 pm »
Running marathons really put a crimp in my attendance too.

« Reply #53938 on: April 19, 2023, 05:22:16 pm »
odd? do most marathons start at 9pm?
Seems like you are just making excuses
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #53939 on: April 19, 2023, 06:47:40 pm »
odd? do most marathons start at 9pm?
Seems like you are just making excuses

one doesn't just wake up one morning and run 26.2 miles at the drop of a hat... it's an all-encompassing lifestyle (or, at a minimum, a very serious months-long dedication). Walking up 4-6 times a week to run up to 10 miles before breakfast, watching what you eat, cutting back or eliminating alcohol, etc. when the missus was training for marathons going to a show was completely out of the question.
<sig>