Author Topic: Pogues tickets...  (Read 10111 times)

bikerchickdc

Pogues tickets...
« on: December 10, 2005, 07:34:00 pm »
... They're going for $400/pair on eBay. And I'll admit, I sort of wish I had gotten some extras to sell for that kind of cash. But really it just makes me a little sick inside.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
Re: Pogues tickets...
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2005, 12:24:00 am »
Generation X:  grown up, gotten good jobs, willing to pay anything to relive rapidly-disappearing youth
_\|/_

bearman🐻

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2005, 01:55:00 am »
Don't worry, karma will come back and fuck them in the ass. It always does.

alex

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2005, 09:12:00 am »
damn, i'm a pogues fan, but at that price, especially right around the holidays, i'm almost tempted to sell...

but i'll remain strong

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2005, 03:13:00 pm »
I don't see where it's bad karma to sell your concert tickets, if the money you will receive is good enough.

Just about anything I own is for sale if the price is right. It's not like there's anything holy or sacred about concert tickets. Get a fucking grip. If I had a pair, and someone offered me $400, you bet your ass I'd sell. My wife would beat my ass if I didn't.

I had four pulled up in the early going, but decided to wait and try to make it to the box office to save on service fees. I'm kicking myself now.

And it's not like you're twisting someone's arm to buy them, or ripping off someone who was unable to get tickets. Tickets were available for three hours before selling out. People who really wanted to go made sure they got tickets. People who are paying $400 for a pair of tickets  are people who $400 means little to.

chokeychicken

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2005, 11:33:00 pm »
i agree totally.  it blows my mind that people get on these message board and on craigslist and complain about how much concert tickets are going for.  I would understand for a show like audioslave at 930 that sold out instantly and a lot of people got shut out.  But on a show like the pogues, you had over 3 hours to buy them, just like everybody else..including those who bought them to re-sell them.  If you wanted them that bad, you would have gotten off your ass, stopped thinking you're the only person who listens to a band, and bought tickets early.  you didn't, and now you've got to pay for your mistake.  

if you want to pay face value for a concert ticket, buy them when they're on sale to the public, just like everybody else does.  do you think ticket brokers have special connections for every singel show they buy for?  No, they do their reserach, and know when every show that will make money is going on sale.  

quit bitching about how high tickets on the secondary market are.  instead, set your alarm clock and get off your ass and buy them when they're on sale at face value.

adavici

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2005, 11:47:00 pm »
You are missing the point that tickets weren't supposed to be on sale till 5:30 (advance) then saturday (public).  Plenty of people who  really wanted to go  were logged into the advance sale at 5:30.  People who are on the 930 mail list lucked out after a communication lapse between the club and the promoters.  Things happen, and rotten luck for some of us, but spare me the "too bad", "lazy" and "mistake" spiel.  it's just not the case for plenty of people who  really wanted to go .

markie

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2005, 11:49:00 pm »
Originally posted by Etan de Balzac, Footie Ball Player:
 anything I own is for sale if the price is right.
How much for your wife? I'll give you a couple of camels and a goat

bearman🐻

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2005, 01:04:00 am »
I shouldn't be surprised that people would sell their tickets for $400. If you want to go ahead and be a capitalist, nobody is stopping you. But I find it pretty sick that people find it OK to gouge music fans just because they weren't sitting on their ass in front of a computer when tickets went on sale. Some people have jobs that require them to be in other places and thus don't have the luxury of buying tickets online when they go on sale. I guess for me music is a little too sacred and I respect the musicians too much to do something like that. Ticket scalper is up there with papparazzo in my opinon.

burninggirl

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2005, 01:54:00 am »
If someone is dumb enough to pay $400 for the Pogues tickets, then great, but I think some things should be sacred.  People who think there is a price for everything have no soul.

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2005, 06:07:00 am »
Originally posted by MTB-Markie:

Originally posted by Etan de Balzac, Footie Ball Player:
 anything I own is for sale if the price is right.
How much for your wife? I'll give you a couple of camels and a goat [/b]
I'll up that.......make one of the camels pretty and an extra goat.

Relaxer

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2005, 09:30:00 am »
Originally posted by bearman:
  But I find it pretty sick that people find it OK to gouge music fans just because they weren't sitting on their ass in front of a computer when tickets went on sale.
Werent' most of you worker drones sitting on your ass in front of a computer at 10:00 am on a Thursday? Or were you out fighting wild elk?
oword

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2005, 10:16:00 am »
One reason people consider scalping to be bad karma is that scalpers who buy up huge blocks of tickets in advance end up depriving people of tickets who had wanted to buy them at the normal price.  It may be your "right," but like many things people do because they think it's their right, it's still an asshole move.  

The other reason people get pissed about it is that some people think of certain music scenes, such as indie rock, as a "community."  In a community, you have responsibilities to other people, not just yourself, so again, gouging people is an asshole move.   Are Pogues followers a community?  I don't think so, since the Pogues long ago ceased being the exclusive darlings of alterna-rockers and are pretty much listened to by all Americans, at least once a year on St. Patrick's Day.  So it probably doesn't matter.  

Finally, it can be fun to gouge the scalpers back.  This works best at stadium shows.  I've never tried it at a small venue like the 930, and I think it would be harder due to the limited market.  I've paid as little as $10 for a stadium ticket using this technique.  You just wait until the band has begun to play, and suddenly the value of scalped tickets drops precipitously -- usually to below face value.   Scalpers are desperate to unload their tickets instead of taking a total loss, so you just bargain them down.
_\|/_

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2005, 10:31:00 am »
I think you were limited to no more than four tickets per purchase for this show.

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2005, 10:43:00 am »
I don't even think it's elk season!

I think the bottom line is that if you wanted Pogues tickets, you were at a pc at 10 am on thursday. And you had three hours before they sell out. If it was a problem to be in front of a pc at that time, take a half day off from work, or have someone else buy them for you.

As far as the mixup in timing, I have little sympathy. I DON'T RECEIVE THE 9:30 EMAIL, and yet I still knew that the tickets went onsale Thursday at 10. How did I know? Because I was proactive, and kept looking on tickets.com. And when I finally saw something on tickets.com for Thursday, I called to confirm. It's too bad that the Pogues website had the start date of ticket sale wrong, but they're not the people selling the tickets. Tickets.com is. That's who you should be checking with.

Originally posted by Relaxer:

Originally posted by bearman:
  But I find it pretty sick that people find it OK to gouge music fans just because they weren't sitting on their ass in front of a computer when tickets went on sale.
Werent' most of you worker drones sitting on your ass in front of a computer at 10:00 am on a Thursday? Or were you out fighting wild elk? [/b]