Author Topic: Hey Seth  (Read 1760067 times)

MonkeyPants

Re: Hey Seth
« Reply #1740 on: January 03, 2009, 11:56:44 am »
Perhaps premature, but Phoenix have just announced that their new album will be out this Spring, which hopefully means they'll tour the US...I've been hoping to see them at the club again since I saw them last!  Pretty pretty please?

I second that request.  I always seem to miss them...
PANTS

azaghal1981

« Reply #1741 on: January 04, 2009, 04:37:50 pm »
So it's been over a month since it was announced that The Jesus Lizard will be reuniting and nobody's thought to ask for them here?

For shame, 930 board; for shame...

And I think it's about that time again:
Aphex Twin?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 04:39:35 pm by azaghal1981 »
احمد

rich_WDC

« Reply #1742 on: January 04, 2009, 05:45:08 pm »
re: Bands Reuniting

What's your a personal opinion on how long an artist/band should be "retired" before launching into a reunion.   Not a hiatus that is for a set time, but especially for the bands who bid farewell and then show up in what appears to be too short of a time.
I'd think that professionally you'd want whatever timeframe will bring in a decent concert $deal, but what do you think, as a music fan?

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #1743 on: January 04, 2009, 05:59:15 pm »
re: Bands Reuniting

What's your a personal opinion on how long an artist/band should be "retired" before launching into a reunion.   Not a hiatus that is for a set time, but especially for the bands who bid farewell and then show up in what appears to be too short of a time.
I'd think that professionally you'd want whatever timeframe will bring in a decent concert $deal, but what do you think, as a music fan?

No such rule. You can't mandate something lke that.

First off, it sure does make a band look stupid to say they've officially retired and then come back only to do it all again. IE: The Rolling Stones.

The other thing is that you don't want to let a band keep waiting around to make a comeback only to lose any burst of energy, creative edge or audience interest. Waiting too long will only let it all wither away.

Bottom line: Any band calling it quits should be a little bit more on the ball and be careful how they publically stop putting out any new music or doing any tours. Sure you can say you've disbanded but never, ever burn that last bridge for a possible comeback regardless of how unexpected it may be.

Just my 2 cents.

walkonby

« Reply #1744 on: January 04, 2009, 06:07:25 pm »
hey seth . . . i love you.

hey azag . . . come to daddy.

azaghal1981

« Reply #1745 on: January 04, 2009, 06:19:46 pm »
Completely agreed with Jaguar.

Bands that never officially completely (say specifically that they're done forever) call it quits can resurface whenever and it's completely acceptable but when someone makes this huge deal about a given show or album being their last ever, their attempt to make a comeback just shouldn't be taken seriously. More times than not, comebacks such as this are nothing more than attempts to cash in. Sorry Walkonby but Trey Anastasio has an awful lot to prove. ;) Until then, he's nothing more to me than a musician passed his prime who needs cash to pay his bills/support his drug habits.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 06:41:00 pm by azaghal1981 »
احمد

walkonby

« Reply #1746 on: January 04, 2009, 07:00:27 pm »
if i was phish, this is what i would have done.  the day i announced the hampton shows, and the blood of full tour wading, i would dedicate the month of december to a six day a week, three hour jam (faux shows of sorts) each evening to get back into the rhythm.  then for january i would dedicate the same crueling work week in studio proving i can still do new songs.  for february, i (as phish) would take myself out on the road with a preplanned city by city mini tour, playing only small out the way places as a phish cover band called a different name each show, in disguise, to hone the set before 3/6/09.

theend

Jaguar

« Reply #1747 on: January 04, 2009, 07:15:50 pm »
Playing along with your game, Swimonby, they could use some of the following names:

Talapia, Cod, Haddock, Grouper, Perch, Salmon, etc...

But if all failed and the tour was a bust, than they would have to officially change the name of the band to Flounder.

azaghal1981

« Reply #1748 on: January 04, 2009, 07:18:13 pm »
Phlounder
احمد

Jaguar

« Reply #1749 on: January 04, 2009, 07:21:52 pm »

eltee

« Reply #1750 on: January 05, 2009, 11:08:59 am »
your wish is my command

Oh ee. I hope this was for me!

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #1751 on: January 05, 2009, 01:38:45 pm »

First off, it sure does make a band look stupid to say they've officially retired and then come back only to do it all again. IE: The Rolling Stones.

Did the Stones ever really say they officially retired?  I don't remember a big farewell tour or anything.   I know The Who did that and there's speculation around every Stones tour that "this might be the last one" - but I don't ever remember the band saying they were retiring.

rich_WDC

« Reply #1752 on: January 05, 2009, 04:00:57 pm »

Did the Stones ever really say they officially retired?  I don't remember a big farewell tour or anything.   I know The Who did that and there's speculation around every Stones tour that "this might be the last one" - but I don't ever remember the band saying they were retiring.

Correct you are.... The Stones have never retired.   

azaghal1981

« Reply #1753 on: January 05, 2009, 04:34:34 pm »
Kiss have, though.

But they suck to begin with.
احمد

Here's the thing

« Reply #1754 on: January 05, 2009, 06:52:59 pm »

Re: Just Announced
« Reply #15610 on: Today at 01:22:26 PM »
The Feelies Saturday 3/14