Author Topic: Hey Seth  (Read 1760026 times)

azaghal1981

Re: Hey Seth
« Reply #2070 on: July 10, 2009, 09:49:52 am »
Boris?

They were just added to ATP NY. I don't want to see them on the BC mainstage where the subpar sound does them no justice again.

احمد

azaghal1981

« Reply #2071 on: July 10, 2009, 08:14:56 pm »
Broadcast are putting together a fall tour. A DC show would be great.

I'm pretty sure it's also safe to say that ixkpd-bk seconds this.
احمد

hutch

« Reply #2072 on: July 10, 2009, 11:09:15 pm »
Broadcast are putting together a fall tour. A DC show would be great.

I'm pretty sure it's also safe to say that ixkpd-bk seconds this.

Can they fill up the bathroom of the Black Cat?

azaghal1981

« Reply #2073 on: July 10, 2009, 11:12:37 pm »
They'd probably draw the same amount of people as Stereolab. They're 10x better, though.
احمد

hutch

« Reply #2074 on: July 10, 2009, 11:20:20 pm »
They'd probably draw the same amount of people as Stereolab. They're 10x better, though.

Sure.. and pigs fly.

Both those statements are patently absurd.

You may like Broadcast 10x more than Stereolab but thats about it...Anyways, don't hold your breath cause they ain't playing the 930 (unless they are opening).

There is no way Broadcast could even sell 200 tickets. Did they even sell out the Black Cat when they were the hipster flavor of the month back around 2000/2001?

« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 11:22:40 pm by hutch »

hutch

« Reply #2075 on: July 10, 2009, 11:26:13 pm »
I mean I'd like to see Sloan at the 930 too but the last time they played the Black Cat- and I was there- it was 25% full..

Some of these bands people are requesting for the 930.. well there is just no way its going to happen...unless they have a career rebirth..

hutch

« Reply #2076 on: July 10, 2009, 11:47:24 pm »
You know what would be a great act to bring though...

Andres Calamaro (Argentine rocker).. He'd sell the place out and it would be cool for the 930 to bring around a few more Latin rock acts....

I tried to contact his manager Olga Castreno about coming to DC but I'm a nobody and I can't blame her for not replying. Truth is he can make so much money playing Spain and Latin America he might not be interested but IMP should try! I also tried to have LN go for it but they had no interest; I don't think they know who he is frankly.

Another option would be a big Latin Rock festival - but with serious acts- at Merriweather...Cafe Tacuba/Calamaro/Julieta Venegas... Venegas and Calamaro could even duet on "Sin Documentos"...

Los Fabulosos Cadillacs didn't play DC because they didn't get the offer they were looking for..a shame...they would have been a great choice for that merriweather Latin Rock Festival...

Also, Babasonicos have never played DC that I know of..and they would do very well..Its a shame no one from the 930 thinks about these bands... Babasonicos has been repeatedly playing NYC but they never come here.. The 930 is the best place for these bands. Babasonicos have got to be the best Latin Rock band of the moment having put out FOUR superlative records in a row including two or three produced by Andrew Weiss (yes the same guy who did all the Ween records); these guys are not fooling around.

Tired of the same tired acts .. bring somebody new and it would be nice to have some Latin rock/music acts...This is a very underserved market (the ocasional State Theatre show and Amigos Invisibles show).. How about Joaquin Sabina from Spain?? I don't think he's ever played DC and again he'd sell it out and he's pretty much the spanish speaking world's Bob Dylan.

And for those that think there isn't a market for this both Los Autenticos Decadentes and Gustavo Cerati  got pretty close to selling out the State Theatre with next to no advertising. And the State is not the best place for these shows because an overwhelming amount of the audience goers are from DC.

I've had all this on my mind for a while Seth and I hope you'll give it some consideration.. There's a lot of hispanics in DC and we're not all Luis Miguel or Daddy Yankee fans and frankly we are being neglected.

And Seth thanks for Manu Chao at Merriweather, Los Amigos at 930 (twice now that I count), and all the great shows (Toots coming up, Dead Weather, you name it..). I'd just like to see more Latin rock and there are many bands (top bands) that are passing on DC because nobody is making the play.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 12:05:16 am by hutch »

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #2077 on: July 11, 2009, 11:00:38 am »
Include The Ganjas (Chile) and Resplandor (Lima, Peru) and I'm in.

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #2078 on: July 13, 2009, 12:16:14 pm »
they will be in NYC in September. They just cancelled their July date up here. And not that this will help too much - but theres the LAMC (Latin Alternative Music Conference) in NYC every year. I think it just ended this weekend, and Calle 13 were awesome. I also really liked Eric Bobo.

Los Fabulosos Cadillacs didn't play DC because they didn't get the offer they were looking for..a shame...they would have been a great choice for that merriweather Latin Rock Festival...

HeyLa

hutch

« Reply #2079 on: July 13, 2009, 02:28:55 pm »
they will be in NYC in September. They just cancelled their July date up here. And not that this will help too much - but theres the LAMC (Latin Alternative Music Conference) in NYC every year. I think it just ended this weekend, and Calle 13 were awesome. I also really liked Eric Bobo.

I don't go to NYC for shows anymore unless its someone like Joao Gilberto or on my short short list. I don't have that type of time..

My point is these bands should play DC because there is a market (maybe not for the Fabulosos Cadillacs or Soda Stereo reunions; at least not for the money they want) and that nobody is supplying...

I hope Seth considers getting more involved in booking these bands.. if he doesn't eventually someone else will cause everyday there are more and more hispanics with more and more money...Its economics

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #2080 on: July 13, 2009, 03:29:17 pm »
Another Soda Stereo reunion would be good!

Just recently uploaded serveral of their songs to Air Atlantic Underground Radio.

Would also like to see Un.Real and Los Psiconautas (both from Puerto Rico).

Jerrinna

« Reply #2081 on: July 14, 2009, 09:39:37 am »
Any chance we can get a 930 date for the arctic monkeys in August/September?

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #2082 on: July 14, 2009, 11:31:28 am »
Seth, no Arctic Monkeys date? Man!
‼‼?‼‼

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2083 on: July 14, 2009, 11:55:54 am »
depending on what the new album sounds like i might give the monkeys a chance, but they are pretty dreadful live... one of the worse discrepancies i've ever experienced between how good a band sound on record vs. how disappointing their live show is.
<sig>

mdh9857

« Reply #2084 on: July 14, 2009, 01:36:55 pm »
Fall Out Boy is touring with Blink but they have a few open dates 8/10-11 and after the tour ends, and will be in this area.  Any chance we can get a headline show by them at the club since it's so small as a surprise?