Author Topic: Hey Seth  (Read 1760256 times)

bearman🐻

Re: Hey Seth
« Reply #2370 on: February 22, 2010, 12:56:49 pm »
I don't think it was sold out, but there was a good crowd since Sneaker Pimps and Death in Vegas were on the bill too. That was truly one of those events where it was such a moment in time...the sofa, coffee table and laptop to me was pretty ridiculous until the music started to play. Richard was curled up and he could have been checking e-mail for all you knew, but the music was insane...and then when the 2 Donkey Rhubarb bears came out to dance, it went from surreal to just plain absurd. But in a way that was genius. That whole night was truly epic. Oddly enough, the Sneaker Pimps got the main dressing room for whatever reason...I think at one point I was hanging out with them while Death in Vegas was playing.

betao

« Reply #2371 on: February 23, 2010, 02:08:34 am »
Damn, hearing about these live Aphex shows make me jealous as can be. When were they? Before 2002 I'm assuming, because prior to Coachella in 08, his only stateside gig was at UCLA in 2002.

I saw his Coachella set and it was a complete mindfuck. It was a DJ set, I don't think he even does "live" sets anymore. He only had an hour to go, too. He opens with Public Enemy's "welcome to the terrordome", and then plays some old hip hop, and then onto old Chicago house from the 80s. The entire crowd was confused, and people were leaving left and right. Around the 25 minute mark, he plays a bit of gabba, and then breaks into some of the most intense drill n bass, jungle, techno, and drum n bass I've ever heard for the remaining of his set. It was basically a "history of electronic music" set. During the last 15 minutes, four guys wearing animal costumes came onstage and started dancing to it, and the last five minutes of the set were basically glaring noise with looped screams over it. After it turned off, he simply stood up, gave a thumbs up to the crowd, and walked off stage. My friend and I just looked at each other and started laughing - our jaws had hit the floor. The most brilliant and intense set I saw all weekend.

azaghal1981

« Reply #2372 on: February 23, 2010, 02:10:40 am »
احمد

distance

« Reply #2373 on: February 23, 2010, 11:19:50 am »
Damn, hearing about these live Aphex shows make me jealous as can be. When were they? Before 2002 I'm assuming, because prior to Coachella in 08, his only stateside gig was at UCLA in 2002.

I saw his Coachella set and it was a complete mindfuck. It was a DJ set, I don't think he even does "live" sets anymore.

as posted before this, it was 1997.  it was a pretty short tour.. maybe 10-ish dates? it was a few weeks before the US release of the 'come to daddy' ep.  it was just major cities like dc, boston, nyc, chicago, etc.  it was not a dj set.  probably my favorite 930 show.  even though i worked all day, went to the show (doors@1130?) and got home at 630 and then worked all day again, it was very much worth it.

edit for:
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 01:23:21 pm by distance »

bearman🐻

« Reply #2374 on: February 23, 2010, 11:37:12 am »
It was a VERY late show...the date was September 5, 1997. I remember him playing "Bucephalous Bouncing Ball" and was like "what IS this?" but loving it.

But on the Aphex scale, I'd also put the Kraftwerk shows from 2005 up there. There'd be no Aphex without "Metal on Metal".

I remember sleeping about 13 hours nonstop after the Aphex show. I woke up at about 5pm, then had to head over to the club to work Luna, which was SO sedate by comparison. I love "Pup Tent" though, great record. It was incredibly sedate after Aphex though.

eltee

« Reply #2375 on: February 23, 2010, 08:07:04 pm »
It's a stretch but do you think M83 could squeeze in a visit?
July 11 - T In the Park, Scotland
July 14 - New York Ambient Performance, US
July 16 - Ottawa, Canada
July 17 - Toronto, Canada
July 18 - Columbus, Canada
July 19 - Pitchfork Festival, Chicago, US
July 24 - Fuji Rock, Japan
http://www.ilovem83.com/index.php/virgin/m83/saturday_youth/tour

Also, Sting is touring w/ an orchestra I think at most shows...guess he couldn't swing by for something even more intimate? Either way would love it if you could get your hands on the show vice another outlet.

distance

« Reply #2376 on: February 23, 2010, 11:10:43 pm »
But on the Aphex scale, I'd also put the Kraftwerk shows from 2005 up there. There'd be no Aphex without "Metal on Metal".

i did enjoy those kraftwerk shows too, but i guess my view is a little different since i'd just seen them 4th row in miami about 6 months earlier (and also at coachella)... and the people around me on the second night were incredibly chatty.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #2377 on: February 24, 2010, 03:22:14 am »
those M83 dates were from 2009.

July 11 - T In the Park, Scotland
July 14 - New York Ambient Performance, US
July 16 - Ottawa, Canada
July 17 - Toronto, Canada
July 18 - Columbus, Canada
July 19 - Pitchfork Festival, Chicago, US
July 24 - Fuji Rock, Japan

Also, Sting is touring w/ an orchestra I think at most shows...guess he couldn't swing by for something even more intimate? Either way would love it if you could get your hands on the show vice another outlet.

(_|_)

azaghal1981

« Reply #2378 on: February 24, 2010, 01:36:19 pm »
Please bring The Fall by if they tour the US for their new album.

kthxbye
احمد

Davyboy

« Reply #2379 on: February 25, 2010, 12:51:16 am »
Virgin mobile fest 2010......

Soundgarden and Rage Against the Machine would be great..

thanks

Vas Deferens

« Reply #2380 on: February 25, 2010, 02:51:44 pm »
why? they probably can't even sell out rock n roll hotel...

Please bring The Fall by if they tour the US for their new album.

kthxbye

(_|_)

DotTheEyes

« Reply #2381 on: February 25, 2010, 08:34:58 pm »
http://www.digitalspy.com/music/news/a205284/damon-albarn-promises-big-gorillaz-gigs.html

Please, please, please, if they tour America, bring them to D.C.  DAR, Merriweather, doesn't matter.

eltee

« Reply #2382 on: February 28, 2010, 03:47:30 pm »
those M83 dates were from 2009.

Oh, whoops, thanks for the catch. Pulled them from their website. Hm. I put this request at the back of the queue until it is sorted out.

eltee

« Reply #2383 on: February 28, 2010, 03:55:53 pm »
Hey Seth, how about being a little more "green" and using recycled, partially recycled, or less glossy earth friendly paper for the snail mail newsletter? (unless it is one of those and I can't tell?)
Since the newsletter contains different information than the email blast, of course, I want to continue receiving them. (especially for those times the email doesn't reach me.) Sorry to use one of my wishes for this, but I thought it might be a good suggestion and the Earth thanks you too. (probably cheaper $ paper out there too)

Yada

« Reply #2384 on: March 01, 2010, 10:21:09 pm »
How about a two night Pavement run at the 930! There are a lot of open dates on their tour in September and I'll cry if they play DAR.