Author Topic: Hey Seth  (Read 1760527 times)

Mr.Whippy

Re: Hey Seth
« Reply #2490 on: April 05, 2010, 11:25:40 am »
This is probably a stupid question, but for big name shows why couldn't ticket providers print the buyer's name on the ticket and then label any extra tickets they buy as guest? When you enter the venue, you have to show ID showing it is actually you and then if you buy any extra tickets label them as guest tickets? It wouldn't solve everything, but scalpers would be more reluctant to buy a ticket if they know one of their tickets can only be used on themselves.

This is exactly what Nine Inch Nails used to do with their fanclub, and it was a great system.  It is probably a little labor-intensive to think it could be done for all the seating, though. 

There is also the paperless ticketing system that Springsteen and ACDC used which is another good option.  It doesn't make scalping impossible, but makes it much harder.

Seth, you have come out as saying you are against scalping.  Well, this might be your chance to do something about it.  Instead of having TicketFly scramble to increase capacity for demand that was largely driven by scalpers, why not institute a system for big shows that seriously curbs the scalping.  It might even cost less to do that than to do the needed upgrades to TicketFly. 

It is worth noting that the TicketFly system worked fine for MMJ.  I think it is just a matter of handling that initial period of very high demand.  So, handle that high demand period in a different way that has the added bonus of getting the tix to the real fans and not the scalpers.

betao

« Reply #2491 on: April 05, 2010, 11:27:25 am »
I was just about to mention thats what NIN did. It was pretty effective in combating scalping, made it pretty hard for them to prosper. At least a few artists are doing something about it.

ggw

« Reply #2492 on: April 05, 2010, 11:34:41 am »
If you search "Ticketmaster" you get a shitload of posts complaining about technical snafus on the TM site, particularly for big shows.  I guess the grass is always greener though...

betao

« Reply #2493 on: April 05, 2010, 11:35:05 am »
Because they would probably still "work" in order to get them.

Yes, some might continue to work to get them, but isn't that an improvement over the current system where it takes scalpers virtually no work to get premium tix? 

You have to think that making people actually put in hours of effort to get tix would curb some of the e-bay and craigslist scalpers.

Yeah but it would also curb alot of honest buyers who for whatever reason can't be at a box office at the given time. The profit margins for some tickets that scalpers sell are so damn high that I can easily see them taking the time to get out there.

And still, I think even then, the majority of fans who buy tickets would prefer to do online selling, as opposed to showing up with thousands of other people to get tickets. It unfortunately appears to be more convenient for everyone.

However, I stand by the other post regarding what NIN did. Issue non-transferable tickets with the buyers name on them. The problem is though is that the NIN camp doesn't get to issue all the tickets themselves. Reznor wrote an essay on it, it's a good read.

Mr.Whippy

« Reply #2494 on: April 05, 2010, 11:51:41 am »

Yes, some might continue to work to get them, but isn't that an improvement over the current system where it takes scalpers virtually no work to get premium tix? 

You have to think that making people actually put in hours of effort to get tix would curb some of the e-bay and craigslist scalpers.

Yeah but it would also curb alot of honest buyers who for whatever reason can't be at a box office at the given time. The profit margins for some tickets that scalpers sell are so damn high that I can easily see them taking the time to get out there.

And still, I think even then, the majority of fans who buy tickets would prefer to do online selling, as opposed to showing up with thousands of other people to get tickets. It unfortunately appears to be more convenient for everyone.

However, I stand by the other post regarding what NIN did. Issue non-transferable tickets with the buyers name on them. The problem is though is that the NIN camp doesn't get to issue all the tickets themselves. Reznor wrote an essay on it, it's a good read.

I understand the ease of online buying, and maybe it is unrealistic to think about going back to in-person, but there are still things TicketFly could do to reduce scalping and thus the demand on their system.

Having a paperless system where ID or the credit card used to purchase the tickets has to be shown for entry would curb a ton of the scalping and thus cut the demand on the system.  Maybe this would be a good option if it is possible to implement.

eltee

« Reply #2495 on: April 05, 2010, 01:42:02 pm »
we're gonna get this thing right, but it might take a few stumbles

the fact that someone couldn't get Phish tickets during the first 40 minutes is not a reason to stop trying

btw...in case nobody noticed...the Merriweather Ticketfly fees are a flat $7 per ticket regardless of ticket price...$4 per order handling...no other charges unless you want them overnighted...we absorb credit card fees, which is probably what people didn't realize was jacking up the price at check-out

this is a huge drop from what it used to be

930 is different because we weren't able to make the same kind of deal that we could with the huge volume that Merriweather does
Seth, a wish / question not pertaining to the recent MPP sale issue but still on topic...What about offering the ability to purchase different show tickets in one bulk order? We used to be able to do this at tickets.com.
This would be really helpful. It's one thing for there to be multiple fees to be tagged on one order, but when purchasing multiple tickets for different events - it's way more costly. (you do have repeat patrons for multiple shows throughout the year) Maybe it's a compromise? Some of us can't afford the fees, but purchasing tickets in bulk (different shows / ticket orders combined) still makes you money on multiple tickets sold (shows vary in price) and helps the customer with less fees on multiple orders. Please?  :-*

Sorry to put this in this thread and to repeat what I wrote long ago. It's not whining, it just would be really helpful and it was great in the past. Currently there are at least 4 shows I want to attend and would purchase each online if I could bulk them together. Otherwise, I just can't afford it.

mdh9857

« Reply #2496 on: April 06, 2010, 01:35:48 am »
So Rihanna/Ke$ha/Nicki Minaj have a show at Jiffy Lube on 8/20 and they have an off night before that.  Any chance we can have a Ke$ha solo show at the club that night?.  I think that would be a pretty fun party for some people.

Thanks Seth.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #2497 on: April 06, 2010, 02:18:15 pm »

This is correct...and they will charge you for the "extra work" they had to put in and the "difficulty" of obtaining the best tickets.  Problem definitely not solved.

The NIN solutuion last year worked flawlessly.  Put a name on the ticket and insist that the person whose name appears on the ticket enter the venue with all of the tickets he/she purchased.  Sure it sucks when people back out and/or cannot meet beforehand to walk in together but that's another (smaller) problem for another day.

Mr.Whippy

« Reply #2498 on: April 06, 2010, 03:35:02 pm »

This is correct...and they will charge you for the "extra work" they had to put in and the "difficulty" of obtaining the best tickets.  Problem definitely not solved.

The thing you are not accounting for, though, is that the prices people will pay for scalped tickets has an upper bound on it.  Making the scalpers really work to get the good tix won't push up people's maximum willingness to pay for them, but it would really eat into the profit that a scalper makes (if you consider their time spent).  I think it would deter some casual scalpers who do it now just because it is so easy to get tix under the current system.

It doesn't sound like in-person ticketing is a realistic option anyway, but if some kind of paperless system could be done for the premium seats at Merriweather, that would be great and really help the scalping issue, as well as Ticketfly's issues with meeting capacity for selling tix during the initial rush.

mamaspeed

« Reply #2499 on: April 12, 2010, 04:53:56 pm »
Every scalper is salivating at the thought of in-person sales only. If you gave them the choice of competing against 200-500 people at a box office or against 2000-5000 people online? They'll take the in person option in a heartbeat. It would be a double win for them. Less competition for good tickets and they would no longer have to pay the $5,000+ they annually dish out to various memberships for all the venues and fan clubs they sign up for.

FYI - As much as every venue say's there against scalping, off the record every venue believes: "If you're tickets aren't being scalped your not having a good season"

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #2500 on: April 12, 2010, 04:58:09 pm »
Yeah, I agree in-person ticketing would be a disaster. Not only does it isolate people who live more then 30 minutes from your venue, but who is going to be in the best position to camp out for tickets: Mr I Have A Real Job, or Mr Scalper? Geez.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #2501 on: April 13, 2010, 08:52:49 am »
I think it would deter some casual scalpers who do it now just because it is so easy to get tix under the current system.

This I agree on.  The deadbeat who works a regular job but buys tix online just to be a craigslist scalper would be eliminated.  But I think the pros would absorb that part of the market and when they have a bigger piece of the prime ticket pool the prices will go up.   The tix have a higher cost and are more difficult to obtain.

betao

« Reply #2502 on: April 13, 2010, 10:07:21 am »
Hey Seth

Just thought I'd chime in a request for Gary Numan and Orbital again.

Mr.Whippy

« Reply #2503 on: April 13, 2010, 10:55:04 am »
OK, I get the point that in-person sales might be a bad idea.  I just hate how with the current system there is no way to reward effort.  It seems like in a fair system, there should be a way to reward people that are willing to put in the effort to get prime seats.

On the issue of Hey Seth requests, can we get some Slayer action?  Two more nights at the club would be peachy!

imbecile

« Reply #2504 on: April 17, 2010, 04:11:48 pm »
Hey Seth, Modest Mouse is in South Carolina on July 20th, New Jersey on the 22nd.  Anychance you can get them to pop into the club on July 21st as they drive through the area?