Author Topic: Hey Seth  (Read 1760910 times)

slappy

Re: Hey Seth
« Reply #3240 on: September 28, 2011, 04:14:32 pm »
I've always thought it was questionable taste to name a theater after someone that was killed in a theater. Kinda like having a Kennedy Chevrolet in Dallas.

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #3241 on: September 28, 2011, 05:46:25 pm »
Jaguar, Iota was the most ridiculous setting imaginable for that SotL Hammock show. I lucked out and had a bar stool but that show never should have been there.

Not many places would have been ideal for that show. My bedroom, maybe. It was kind of funny seeing people falling asleep all over the place. Definitely the quietest audience I've ever seen. Very unlike your average crowd. You could have easily heard a pin drop and people would have looked around wondering who was making all that noise.

It does not excuse the douchetastic way the SotL dudes acted, though.

Okay, I must have missed something. Maybe I slept through it. They seemed quite likable to me with a good sense of humor.

Seth Hurwitz

• Administrator
« Reply #3242 on: September 29, 2011, 03:00:48 am »
Now that the Lincoln is going out of business, any chance of you taking it over? 

My thoughts exactly!

This would be great for shows that work best as seated shows, even if you have to concentrate on booking mostly Folk, Jazz, Blues and other laid back acts that tend to appeal to the seated crowds. I know I would have absolutely loved some nice comfy seats when I saw Hammock and Stars Of The Lid. Those bands put you right to sleep, in a good way.

If anybody can bring that place back up to snuff and turn it back into a success, it's you Sir Seth. Come on, you know you can do it.  ;)

I heard the DC Govt is funding Live Nation to put a DC Fillmore in there.  :o

I'LL SUE!!!

azaghal1981

« Reply #3243 on: September 29, 2011, 07:14:18 am »
Jaguar, Iota was the most ridiculous setting imaginable for that SotL Hammock show. I lucked out and had a bar stool but that show never should have been there.

Not many places would have been ideal for that show. My bedroom, maybe. It was kind of funny seeing people falling asleep all over the place. Definitely the quietest audience I've ever seen. Very unlike your average crowd. You could have easily heard a pin drop and people would have looked around wondering who was making all that noise.

It does not excuse the douchetastic way the SotL dudes acted, though.

Okay, I must have missed something. Maybe I slept through it. They seemed quite likable to me with a good sense of humor.

They were being snarky about it. At one point, one of them mumbled something to the effect of "a classical ensemble in a rock club. Here's another hit." There were a couple other comments like that.
احمد

Seth Hurwitz

• Administrator
« Reply #3244 on: September 29, 2011, 08:47:21 am »
from CityPaper blog:
http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/housingcomplex/2011/09/27/do-rock-clubs-have-to-be-daytime-blights/

man, this dude hurt from my feelings...

"The 9:30 club is a dump, both inside and out.
Hurwitz should be ashamed of himself, foistering this grungy dump on music-hungry fans.
I have been to rock clubs in several cities, and some of them are very well maintained and offer fan amenities that Seth should have invested in long ago. So I welcome venues such as Birchmere and the new Fillmore in Silver Spring. I know where I will spend my money."

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #3245 on: September 29, 2011, 08:59:30 am »
from CityPaper blog:
http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/housingcomplex/2011/09/27/do-rock-clubs-have-to-be-daytime-blights/

Hurwitz should be ashamed of himself, foistering this grungy dump on music-hungry fans.
I have been to rock clubs in several cities, and some of them are very well maintained and offer fan amenities that Seth should have invested in long ago. So I welcome venues such as Birchmere and the new Fillmore in Silver Spring. I know where I will spend my money."

YIKES!! Just think what he would've written had he witnessed the original 930 location!!!  :o

The venue is simply bricks and mortar.....it's the staph and fellow patrons that make it a show. I've come across the odd pretentious wanker on the 930 staph but they are a tiny majority. 930 is the best place I've ever been to see a show....including the Hacienda in manc. (too many drugs for me in that place)

There's no other place I would've let my (then) 14 year old daughter in to see a show without me being with her (I waited outside) than the the 930, thanks to Josh and the gang....

Seth, I don't know what you do.....but keep doing it mate!

eltee

« Reply #3246 on: September 29, 2011, 09:28:29 am »
Don't let it.
The place is not a dump. This person obviously is going to some squeaky clean "venue" vs. an actual music club. Just think F St. (well, the person might be thinking about that venue and smell, but I digress) and know you set the tone and standard for everyone in this area who is trying to run an actual music nightclub. Birchmere learned probably from RHT and FSS learned from the local mall. Your ideas and clubs are not just bars, or karaoke clubs; they are clean, safe, friendly and always have a great artist on stage.
Sound and lights have always been stellar. Intimate places are few and far between for big name acts these days. Your club is still intimate, laid back and rock without being sterile and mass produced. Even with the modern additions of food, various beverages, multiple bars and cupcakes. Chin up, Seth.
(and what Mankie said about kids and all ages!)
(edit: and Bags/Jags/Seth to thank for stall hooks!)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 10:29:21 am by Nomeimporta »

hutch

« Reply #3247 on: September 29, 2011, 09:33:48 am »
Of course the DC government should not subsidize a DC Fillmore but they DO subsidize the Lincoln Theatre ..thats the problem.. they've been doing it for a long time and the place needs to change.. they are open just a few nights a month it seems...

It would be a shame to lose the Lincoln Theatre just as the Howard is being readied to reopen...

azaghal1981

« Reply #3248 on: September 29, 2011, 09:54:41 am »
That City Paper blog entry as a whole is fucking stupid.
احمد

Seth Hurwitz

• Administrator
« Reply #3249 on: September 29, 2011, 10:46:52 am »
I feel better now, thanks

every now & then, I get asked by some dc govt type what I would do with the Lincoln

I think it should be turned back into a great movie theater, with occasional shows...what a home run that would be

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #3250 on: September 29, 2011, 10:59:57 am »

every now & then, I get asked by some dc govt type what I would do with the Lincoln

I think it should be turned back into a great movie theater, with occasional shows...what a home run that would be

[like]

mbg73

« Reply #3251 on: September 29, 2011, 11:54:04 am »
from CityPaper blog:

I'd be more ashamed for using the word "foistering" in a public forum, but that's just me.

hutch

« Reply #3252 on: September 29, 2011, 11:56:49 am »
i didn't bother to comment earlier but the 930 Club is the best music venue I have been in... the staff are excellent, the sound is great, things are professionally run, etc

the 930- and more broadly IMP- is one of the best things about DC actually...

eltee

« Reply #3253 on: September 29, 2011, 12:22:21 pm »

That's what I wanted to do with the old Vienna movie theater. Coffee by day, then movies or shows by night. Then it became a Lens Crafters, now a bike shop. And, Jammin Java took over the Christian music place so...DO it, Seth. It will be like having grandkids! You have to start to find a protege by some point right? Have a contest to search.
I agree with the comment that IMP makes DC events (Md/Va) a whole lot better.  When I find issues with other events / venues in other states it's b/c they lack the mgmt/ideas and your staph.

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #3254 on: September 29, 2011, 12:29:03 pm »
They were being snarky about it. At one point, one of them mumbled something to the effect of "a classical ensemble in a rock club. Here's another hit." There were a couple other comments like that.

I remember them joking about that but didn't in the very least perceive it as snarky. In fact, I thought it was very funny and that they saw the irony of how super laid back their music is compared to the normal shows we all tend to see. If anything, I thought that they were taking the piss on themselves about being a very under the radar band and also about how opposite they are from a 'hit' kind of band. The last thing you are ever going to do is rock out to any of their music. It made me like them even more.