Author Topic: Hey Seth  (Read 1760355 times)

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
Re: Hey Seth
« Reply #3510 on: February 10, 2012, 08:53:04 pm »
You could actually make MORE money if the prices were a little less is my guess. I'll still buy five* drinks at a show whether it's $5 a beer or $8 a beer.

One of the first things one learns in marketing and econ is that it is often better to sell more at a smaller margin than less at a higher margin.
FUKIT

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #3511 on: February 10, 2012, 09:09:13 pm »
I am having a tad bit of difficulty keeping track of who is replying to whom, so I am just going to make a general point here. 

1) This is not a simple matter of $1.00 or $1.50.  One particular dollar for any given drink may not mean much, but when you we add up that extra $1 every time it is paid, the sums gets significant quickly.  If we increased the price of everything in the market place by (lets say) 25¢, one could argue that 25¢ really does not matter.  We probably all agree though that in this scenario the cumulative effect of the 25¢ increase would be significant to a lot (if not all) of us.

2) Going from $3 to $4 is in excess of a 33% increase which is substantial.  The fact it is done in a small dollar increment does not change that fact.  Almost any commodity that was presented with a 33% price increase will evoke some sort of response from consumers.

3) I understand that there is more than that there is more than water and syrup in that coke.  I totally comprehend fixed cost, variable cost, mark up on sales, etc (my undergrad degree is in econ and accounting).  I simply think that a price of $4 for a coke is well beyond an equitable allocation of these costs to this product.

Again I hope this isn't taken as a bitch fest by anyone.  It is more me, as a consumer, giving feedback to the vendor.  Sometimes we do this by choosing or not choosing a particular vendor.  Sometimes we do this by engaging in a conversation as we are now.  (I hope that all made sense.  I feeling pretty crappy right now so I may be a bit delusional, even more so than normal!)

FUKIT

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3512 on: February 11, 2012, 04:25:38 pm »
One of the first things one learns in marketing and econ is that it is often better to sell more at a smaller margin than less at a higher margin.

apparently we went to different schools.  where i studied, those types of generalizations wouldn't get you very far.  without specifics (like which market you are after, overhead cost, marginal cost, substitution, state of competition, elasticity of demand, etc) your statement is meaningless. 
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #3513 on: February 11, 2012, 05:48:25 pm »
Alas, there's a difference between community college in southern VA and community college in Canada.  ;D

apparently we went to different schools.  where i studied, those types of generalizations wouldn't get you very far.  without specifics (like which market you are after, overhead cost, marginal cost, substitution, state of competition, elasticity of demand, etc) your statement is meaningless. 

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #3514 on: February 11, 2012, 08:07:09 pm »

Which is why I said "often" rather than "usually" or "always".
FUKIT

Seth Hurwitz

• Administrator
« Reply #3515 on: February 12, 2012, 08:32:50 am »
listen, I'll take care of the economics here

everyone go back to their homes, move along now

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #3516 on: February 12, 2012, 12:12:52 pm »
posted it once and i'll post it again

seth . . . as a cat.

Seth Hurwitz

• Administrator
« Reply #3517 on: February 12, 2012, 01:56:19 pm »
I like it

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #3518 on: February 13, 2012, 01:53:14 am »

So like is there a possibility that the club has or will come up with a designated driver policy of some sorts?  I kind of got lost in the flurry or posts whether there was a response or not.  Thanks...
FUKIT

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #3519 on: February 13, 2012, 01:54:21 am »
posted it once and i'll post it again

seth . . . as a cat.
<tongueincheek>Looks like about $1,000 worth of bottled products on the table there.</tongueincheek>
FUKIT

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #3520 on: February 13, 2012, 11:21:31 am »

It all comes back to the value proposition.  Seth is (if I may be so bold) not trying to be the "cheapest soda guy in town".  If he were, he'd raise the price of other products to subsidize the price of a diet coke.  He's created IMHO the best damn club in the universe, where you can see great bands at great prices in an intimate setting with great sound and decent sight lines.  The staff is professional, serious and largely unintrusive.  Thats' what he's selling.  It doesn't appeal to everyone.  Maybe the Black Cat is better for you, since their soda is cheaper.  My experience there has been that the sound sucks, the lights are too bright and there's too much space, even for a sold out show.

Seth is competing on quality, not on soda price.  I think he pulls it off most of the time.

[/soapbox]
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 11:32:56 am by grateful »

nkotb

« Reply #3521 on: February 13, 2012, 11:24:35 am »
Isn't that a little hyperbolic?  He can't even book these guys!

the best damn club in the universe

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #3522 on: February 13, 2012, 11:32:09 am »
Isn't that a little hyperbolic?  He can't even book these guys!

the best damn club in the universe

Cantina Band
6/17
$15

James Ford

« Reply #3523 on: February 13, 2012, 12:25:22 pm »
I was with you until the "there's too much space during a sold out show" part.

Does that mean that you're not smushed together with strangers? That you can actually stand in a normal posture? Where's the negative in that?

It all comes back to the value proposition.  Seth is (if I may be so bold) not trying to be the "cheapest soda guy in town".  If he were, he'd raise the price of other products to subsidize the price of a diet coke.  He's created IMHO the best damn club in the universe, where you can see great bands at great prices in an intimate setting with great sound and decent sight lines.  The staff is professional, serious and largely unintrusive.  Thats' what he's selling.  It doesn't appeal to everyone.  Maybe the Black Cat is better for you, since their soda is cheaper.  My experience there has been that the sound sucks, the lights are too bright and there's too much space, even for a sold out show.

Seth is competing on quality, not on soda price.  I think he pulls it off most of the time.

[/soapbox]

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #3524 on: February 13, 2012, 12:31:29 pm »
I was with you until the "there's too much space during a sold out show" part.

Does that mean that you're not smushed together with strangers? That you can actually stand in a normal posture? Where's the negative in that?

[/soapbox]

No, I don't love that part, but it does speak to the "feel" of a sold out show.  BC seems cavernous, especially at the back, most of the time.  It detracts from the excitement, roar of the crowd, etc. 

Part of the genius of 930 is the movable stage, which can be pushed back to create capacity when needed, or to be pushed forward to create more intimacy when a show doesn't sell as well.  I'm not sure if there's an industry standard for that, but I've never seen it anywhere but at 930.