Author Topic: Hey Seth  (Read 1759952 times)

hutch

Re: Hey Seth
« Reply #5655 on: March 25, 2016, 03:49:40 pm »
as I understand it Mudcrutch was Tom Petty's original Jacksonville band where he was the bassist and one of the singers.. included Mike Campbell and Tom Leadon (brother of Bernie who was in Eagles).. anyways when Mudcrutch moved to Los Angeles Benmont Tench joined but they did not make it -although they did release a 45 on Shelter which went nowhere.. so they broke up and Campbell/Tench/Petty went on to be Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers..The story is that the record label broke them up and signed Petty as a solo act...although after the first album Petty released albums under "Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers"

fast forward over 30 years and Tom Petty got the band back together for a new album and a few shows.... they didn't hit the East Coast a few years ago but are now coming out with a new album...

anyways.. that is the story of MUDCRUTCH...

as far as why tickets are expensive.. um I think its cause you get to see Petty and cohorts in a pretty small club so demand will be high.. also its in DC where things can be expensive...

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #5656 on: March 25, 2016, 03:50:40 pm »
TL;DR

Tom Petty is playing the 9:30 club.

hutch

« Reply #5657 on: March 25, 2016, 03:52:53 pm »
Anyways, yes.. Tom Petty in a 1000 capacity club.. doesn't happen every day.. but also Benmont Tench and Mike Campbell... the first Mudcrutch album is pretty darn good.. its a nice story... many good things going on here..

really looking forward to it...

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #5658 on: March 25, 2016, 03:59:33 pm »
So you're all in for $255?

hutch

« Reply #5659 on: March 25, 2016, 04:01:25 pm »
So you're all in for $255?

I am assuming I can get a ticket for $104 or what have you. plus charges.. if tickets are 255 i will not be able to go... at least not to DC show...i have no idea what the $255 is about but i assumed it was something else.. like you get a fancy laminate .. i dunno.. do you know?

Space Freely

« Reply #5660 on: March 25, 2016, 04:02:36 pm »
So is there any guarantee the set will mainly be Heartbreakers songs with a few Mudcrunch songs sprinkled in, or is there danger than Tom will go full on Mudcrunch?

How do those ticket prices compare to Bob Dylan, Paul Simon, and Johnny Cash tickets at the Club? I know Cash was much, much cheaper...but that was many years ago so apples to oranges.

And as much as I love American Girl (the song), I still don't think he's in the same category as those other three, certainly not if he's heavy on Mudcrunch material.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #5661 on: March 25, 2016, 04:05:16 pm »
$255 must be a VIP / meet and greet / soundcheck thing, or some combination.

Paul Simon was $75 (?).  I think Lou Reed was $45, but that was a while back.

I'm guessing the show will be mostly Mudhoney with a few TPH hits.

hutch

« Reply #5662 on: March 25, 2016, 04:07:05 pm »
So is there any guarantee the set will mainly be Heartbreakers songs with a few Mudcrunch songs sprinkled in, or is there danger than Tom will go full on Mudcrunch?

How do those ticket prices compare to Bob Dylan, Paul Simon, and Johnny Cash tickets at the Club? I know Cash was much, much cheaper...but that was many years ago so apples to oranges.

And as much as I love American Girl (the song), I still don't think he's in the same category as those other three, certainly not if he's heavy on Mudcrunch material.

I doubt they will play ANY Heartbreakers.. I doubt they will play even one Heartbreakers song..... this is a MUDCRUTCH show.. MUDCRUTCH was a band for many many years before Petty and the Heartbreakers.. They will have two full albums by the time of this show.. plus whatever they used to play in the old days including I'm guessing many covers... they were a fixture in Jacksonville for years...playing bars I assume..

This is kind of pricier than those shows you mention.. all of which I was at..... I noticed Philly FIllmore said tickets were $64..  

It just comes down to an individual choice..sometimes if you want to see a show you pay what it costs even if its more than you usually pay.. seeing Petty in a club- for me- has always been a dream so I'm going to try to make it happen! The way I look at it a ticket in the first 20 rows of a Petty show at Jiffy Lube would probably set you back $200 anyways... and I've seen Petty and the Heartbreakers do all the songs we know.. I stopped going to Petty shows cause I dont' need to hear them and I dont' go out of my way to go to Nissan.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 04:09:40 pm by hutch »

hutch

« Reply #5663 on: March 25, 2016, 04:08:22 pm »
Petty is a Wilbury.

The end.

Space Freely

« Reply #5664 on: March 25, 2016, 04:17:49 pm »
$255 must be a VIP / meet and greet / soundcheck thing, or some combination.

Paul Simon was $75 (?).  I think Lou Reed was $45, but that was a while back.

I'm guessing the show will be mostly Mudhoney with a few TPH hits.

Seems like if Paul Simon or Lou Reed had played some Mudcrunch songs instead of their own, they would have been able to charge more for the tickets.

Kubacheck

« Reply #5665 on: March 25, 2016, 04:55:08 pm »
.. I stopped going to Petty shows cause I dont' need to hear them and I dont' go out of my way to go to Nissan.

Petty has made this decision a lot easier by not even playing DC the last few tours..... I think (but am not sure) that he hasn't played here since 2010, maybe 2012..... and I don't count the Lock'n Fest that he played a couple years ago, that was probably a longer drive from DC than Philly is....

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #5666 on: March 30, 2016, 02:30:34 pm »
Air!  They just announced a US festival in LA, surely they need a couple gigs as warm-up
T.Rex

Yada

« Reply #5667 on: March 30, 2016, 02:37:59 pm »
Hey Seth, saw you on the 1980's Washington, DC special on PBS last night. No clue how old the program was, but it was interesting!

bearman🐻

« Reply #5668 on: March 30, 2016, 02:55:20 pm »
Air!  They just announced a US festival in LA, surely they need a couple gigs as warm-up

My favorite French band. Yup. Their live shows are the best. So happy to see they're performing again.

killsaly

« Reply #5669 on: April 01, 2016, 04:22:07 pm »
Dark Tranquillity is on tour later this year and has three days off after their Philly show!