Author Topic: Hey Seth  (Read 1759997 times)

Yada

Re: Hey Seth
« Reply #6030 on: July 13, 2017, 09:36:21 am »
my assumption is Seth is just being a bit fececious in this here thread and due to the really modern new website, they'll be updates soon to come.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #6031 on: July 13, 2017, 10:08:28 am »
my assumption is Seth is just being a bit fececious in this here thread and due to the really modern new website, they'll be updates soon to come.
Unless you mean "of or relating to feces," it's facetious.
LVMH

Yada

« Reply #6032 on: July 13, 2017, 10:28:13 am »

yeah, he's being a bit of shithead.

« Reply #6033 on: July 13, 2017, 10:47:45 am »

I almost1 regret blocking Hutch because he's no doubt currently fanboy-ing harder than anyone has ever fanboy-ed and going on a tirade about how time is an arbitrary construct and we're all stupid and Seth is the best and has a very large penis and he's naming his next child Imp in honor of 9:30's greatness and he doesn't even own a watch so what difference would it make if he knew when things start?

1 I am using hyperbolic language for dramatic effect and, in no way, approach any regret related to blocking Hutch.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 10:54:00 am by Yes, that JULIAN »
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #6034 on: July 13, 2017, 11:33:02 am »

I almost1 regret blocking Hutch because he's no doubt currently fanboy-ing harder than anyone has ever fanboy-ed and going on a tirade about how time is an arbitrary construct and we're all stupid and Seth is the best and has a very large penis and he's naming his next child Imp in honor of 9:30's greatness and he doesn't even own a watch so what difference would it make if he knew when things start?

1 I am using hyperbolic language for dramatic effect and, in no way, approach any regret related to blocking Hutch.

While Seth's face does look like it had a collision with a Mack truck, I'm bet dollars to donuts that he does indeed have a very large penis.

« Reply #6035 on: July 13, 2017, 12:03:36 pm »
While Seth's face does look like it had a collision with a Mack truck, I'm bet dollars to donuts that he does indeed have a very large penis.
I see where you're going with this, and yes, we can resurrect that thread where we shallowly objectify others by their personal appearance. I have a lot of thoughts on Katy Perry's new haircut. I do.
LVMH

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #6036 on: July 13, 2017, 12:05:54 pm »
Wait.  She got a haircut?!?  Do tell!

vansmack

« Reply #6037 on: July 13, 2017, 12:36:21 pm »
it is important to my day of show logistics.
 sometimes i want to arrive for the opener.
 sometimes for the headliner only.
 sometimes want to catch dinner beforehand.

Seth wants you in there spending money on his food and drink, so if he doesn't post the set times, your concern over missing the headliner will have you there early, presumably spending money.

Makes perfect business sense to me.
27>34

« Reply #6038 on: July 13, 2017, 12:55:35 pm »

Seth wants you in there spending money on his food and drink, so if he doesn't post the set times, your concern over missing the headliner will have you there early, presumably spending money.

While I do agree with vs...getting people in early helps bar sales

for a long time it was a given the set times would be there and I  have come to depend on it for scheduling for almost every show

I will say that I have always been impressed how the 930 club keeps the talent to stick to the set times
Bands are rarely more than a minute or two late at most IMP shows

So do you think this was a business decision to remove the set times or just an oversight
slack

rich_WDC

« Reply #6039 on: July 13, 2017, 04:30:41 pm »

While I do agree with vs...getting people in early helps bar sales

for a long time it was a given the set times would be there and I  have come to depend on it for scheduling for almost every show

I will say that I have always been impressed how the 930 club keeps the talent to stick to the set times
Bands are rarely more than a minute or two late at most IMP shows

So do you think this was a business decision to remove the set times or just an oversight
I'm sorta thinking it is an oversight with the transition to the new web stuff.   But now the issue has I.M.P.'s attention.   

The bar revenue thing (and any increased entry lines or smoking-area gathering at announced start time) probably doesn't affect the majority of the crowd.   Us, on the Board, know of the resource of settimes and make use of that but the clear majority of the crowd -- since the place is usually crowded enough by the time we get in there -- is already there and buying drinks.      But an extra beer or two multiplied by X number of people who show up "too early" multiplied by Y number of shows.... well that does add up.   Yes, I.M.P., that's true. 

But in today's world, especially because the set-times were part of our lives for so long, and lives now are scheduled more and more, and we've all got smartphones to enable our busy world, we want and need the times, I.M.P.    (If anything, lie a little teensy bit to force us in a little early.   And adjust the pattern so we don't detect it.....   But better to not tinker)    If you take away the set-times, might as well take away our free water at the end of the bar too.   :(

Yada

« Reply #6040 on: July 13, 2017, 04:42:00 pm »

hutch

« Reply #6041 on: July 13, 2017, 04:47:47 pm »
well the question was asked..so I take it at face value.

pretty much what everybody else said...I mean everybody who took the question seriously and not the forum clown, village idiot, etc..

but here is how I would honestly answer it:

I am in my 40s with two young kids... the set times make it possible for me to know when I can leave and still make the show...time is a luxury I don't have especially at night with having to get the kids fed and to bed..same goes for most people I know in my age group..... I can't be at the club much before the band goes on..if a band goes on at 9 that is just about the time I can make it.. . my family's schedule doesn't allow much else..I rarely can meet people before shows for drinks or whatever.... also the set times allow me to be somewhat calm about making the show, trying to pick sidehatch up, or whatever...otherwise everything becomes pretty chaotic and messy ...then you get to the club all frazzled...this is precisely not the point of going to see a show for me... I'm trying to get away from the stress not create more of it! if I get there frazzled it will take a few songs to relax..

the other key reason the set times come in so handy for me is I like to pre-party before shows..its been years since that involved drugs unfortunately but I do like to drink a few before the show...then when I get there I keep drinking so i don't think it cuts down on what I drink at the club. .in fact the opposite.. if I show up sober to a show I'm less likely to drink than if I show up with a little buzz...I do have to put in a plug for people that like to get legally high in DC... the set times help them get there for the show feeling on Cloud 9...instead of sitting around with a killer buzz being wasted.

i can't speak to what reasons would spur the 930 to eliminate something that makes its customers very happy, adds to the quality of the experience, etc... it could be simply the idea that people might get there earlier and they might be able to sling more drinks and make more money.. .. or it might be that too many people show up close to when the main act goes on (although I always do this and never notice long lines, etc.) putting a strain on door staff and also meaning too many people opt out of giving the opener a chance.....  I'm not sure I entirely buy the money reason... there is a whole hell of a lot of good will that is engendered when the 930 Club treats people like adults and I think it comes back to the 930 Club..

I have always thought that the club posting the set times was really respectful of MY time..when I go to Live Nation events- rarer and rarer- I sometimes think I've been taken hostage and am being offered really crummy beer at exorbitant prices etc.. when I go to the 930 at least I feel like I am allowed to decide when to get there for the main event because i am told when it starts..when what I am interested in starts....and the beer options are good (for me)..going to a 930 show from arlington va, arriving there and walking in, getting my tab at the bar going, drink in hand, and the band i'm there to see going on right then- like clockwork- is AWESOME! makes you feel like a million bucks.. at least that is the way it is for me..

I guess I like it a lot the way it is..but i would adapt and i bet I can estimate when the main act goes on fairly well... i can also reach out to Eddie on the board or the club via twitter or whatever.. but there would always be that nagging insecurity that would come from not being sure...to illustrate... recently i went to charlottesville to see franz ferdinand.. i tweeted to the venue when they thought they would go on cause going down there for me was a huge deal and i can only leave when i can leave...they said "aiming for 945".. i took that as 945 although in the back of my mind i thought "hmm..sounds a bit late".. I ended up getting there at 945.. the band was on like song 5.. that sucked... the Jefferson Theatre is no 930 Club.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 04:56:51 pm by hutch »

hutch

« Reply #6042 on: July 13, 2017, 05:00:03 pm »

umm.. challenged is a respected professional.. if he doesn't feel like he can get a good grasp on timing for making his plans he may choose to have that dinner at a fancier restaurant and forego the show entirely..or he might amble over to the Hamilton instead..

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #6043 on: July 13, 2017, 08:08:28 pm »
Can't most set times be guessed for the Club?

Its the smaller venues that are difficult.

Yada

« Reply #6044 on: July 14, 2017, 09:11:54 am »
I'm hoping this is an elaborate troll by Seth, but it's pretty damn obvious why it's helpful to have set times posted.

If this is a ploy to get you to buy more drinks, it ain't gonna work for most concert goers. I either get tanked or have max three drinks no matter what at a show and that won't change if I show up an hour early.

I guess a good rule of thumb for now on, if you can't handle to miss a second of the headliner, show up no later than 9pm.