Author Topic: Hey Seth  (Read 1749703 times)

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
Re: Hey Seth
« Reply #6165 on: September 28, 2017, 04:35:30 pm »
It’s not an attempt at trolling. Vansmack agrees with me. If it’s not about money, then why? It’s about selling beer. Any person with half a brain knows that because NO OTHER PLAUSIBLE EXPLANATION EXISTS OR HAS BEEN PROFFERED.

staph are already busy, updating the website every day isn't high on their priorities list, someone needs to be trained in the website backend, they need to chase after whoever is responsible for daily scheduling to get set times, etc.  it's not a lot of effort, but it's some.
The website is changed "daily" to reflect that night's show. You cannot play the "updating the website every day is hard and no one knows how to do it" card when they're literally already doing that.

This can be automated.

Seth Hurwitz

• Administrator
« Reply #6166 on: September 29, 2017, 02:39:37 pm »
so...

set times...

a few different reasons...

they were often inaccurate, as we are dealing with human beings not videos and they just don't function like clockwork...we got complaints when the schedules weren't as posted, so we got tired of that

and the new website provider for some reason is now not able to add this info the day of, which is often when we figure this stuff out, so we just put door times now, which we do know in advance

but as you all are vastly experienced 930 goers...how are you not able to figure out approximately when the band you want to see goes on, and how often are you wrong and by how many minutes?

besides all that, yes we want you getting there early and not pre-gaming and spending your money elsewhere

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #6167 on: September 29, 2017, 02:45:08 pm »
So...maybe twitter is a better venue for set times?

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #6168 on: September 29, 2017, 03:45:41 pm »
and the new website provider for some reason is now not able to add this info the day of, which is often when we figure this stuff out, so we just put door times now, which we do know in advance
Is the new website provider the reason Eddie no longer gives the set times in the FAQ?
LVMH

bearman🐻

« Reply #6169 on: September 29, 2017, 05:10:22 pm »

« Reply #6170 on: October 02, 2017, 01:14:42 pm »
...bearman encapsulated my feelings in one simple gif
and excon has a great suggestion

Personally I've been amazed how well that 930 has been to get a generally unreliable group of people to keep to set times...but you do

How about you put a paywall up for set time access...charge maybe a quarter per request
that way..the person who has to manage that can generate income for IMP that might offset the one beer I might not get

but I do appreciate your response...unlike Julian's shtick seems to imply
by getting back to us shows me that you care about the unwashed masses that patronize your establishment

slack

Yada

« Reply #6171 on: October 02, 2017, 02:14:47 pm »
Appreciate the response Seth, but I for one don't think once in 15 years a band I came to see came on later than 15 minutes from the posted set time.

bearman🐻

« Reply #6172 on: October 02, 2017, 02:25:39 pm »
Appreciate the response Seth, but I for one don't think once in 15 years a band I came to see came on later than 15 minutes from the posted set time.

The set times were pretty much always dead on for every single show I've seen. Maybe once did times change.

hemisphire

« Reply #6173 on: October 02, 2017, 03:06:25 pm »
I can tell you that if parking is sold out for a show and I'm relying on Metro, if I don't know when the headliner goes on I'm not going (still bummed about seeing 4 songs from Living Colour in 2001 before I had to leave to catch the last train).

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #6174 on: October 02, 2017, 05:45:43 pm »
so...

set times...

a few different reasons...

they were often inaccurate, as we are dealing with human beings not videos and they just don't function like clockwork...

in my experience, posted set times were very accurate.  i can't recall an event that was more than 10 minutes off.

we got complaints when the schedules weren't as posted, so we got tired of that

that seems weak, seth.  i'm willing to believe that some complained about inaccuracies, but how many more complaints are you getting now that they aren't posted at all?  if number of complaints is truly your motivation, you'll be putting them back up again, right?

i'm surprised to learn that "ability to easily and immediately update the website" wasn't included as a requirement for the new website.  if it wasn't, that was an oversight on the club's part.  patrons aren't happy.  to me, this amounts to something that should be fixed.

as others have pointed out, there are other avenues for posting this info.  FB and Tw seems perfect for this.

but as you all are vastly experienced 930 goers...how are you not able to figure out approximately when the band you want to see goes on, and how often are you wrong and by how many minutes?

i can indeed make an educated guess: openers 30 to 60 mins after doors, play for 30-40 mins, 30-45 min break, second opener plays for 30-45 mins, 30-45 min break, headliner.  delta between low and high estimates: almost an hour and a half.  that's a pretty big window, enough to miss the headliners set entirely.  obviously that's an extreme, doubtful anyone would be that far off, but missing half of the headliner wouldn't be that hard.  there are occasions when we just can't hang out all night at the club and wait...

besides all that, yes we want you getting there early and not pre-gaming and spending your money elsewhere

fair enough, you run a business and you want to maximize revenue.  but at what cost?  are you going to take the airlines' strategy of nickle and diming us on everything?  pulling every trick in the book to get us to spend more?  of course not, that's never been your business model.  along with profitability, it's my belief that you care about the experience, about getting repeat business, and differentiating yourself from your competitors.  the posting of set times contributed to all 3 of these.
<sig>

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #6175 on: October 02, 2017, 07:36:30 pm »
FWIW, I missed most of Alison Moyet at 930 because I didn't check the posted set times.

lily1

« Reply #6176 on: October 03, 2017, 06:00:05 am »
Rarely did a band hit the stage more than 15 minutes past the posted set times. I always thought it was incredible Seth and his Staph were able to get a stereotypical unpredictable lot to commit to a stage time. 

bearman🐻

« Reply #6177 on: October 03, 2017, 10:14:15 am »
I realize this might not seem like a big deal, and in the grand scheme of life we deal with stuff and move on (if we survive another day that is). But this is a business and we are patrons, and this thread is a constructive way to come up with solutions to issues and money makes the world go round. So here's me stepping up to the mic one more time to whine. The more I think about this, the more annoyed I get simply because the excuses Seth gave weren't really valid reasons, as sweetcell showed. No disrespect at all to Seth, but if I think of the thousands and thousands of dollars I've spent and literally hundreds of nights I've spent at the 9:30 and IMP shows, it just feels like a slap away when all I've tried to do is be loyal. What bothers me is that in this day and age of technology, just send out a fuckin' Tweet or a Facebook update if your web site designer (who I'm sure got paid good money) can't be bothered to include a feature that clearly existed in previous versions. Stick a window on the main page like the Black Cat does to show the Twitter feed, which shows what the set times are. I don't even care if it goes out at 5pm when you have it locked in. I don't buy that people complained if set times weren't entirely accurate. I mean, like to the minute? Maybe the bands I choose to see deserve attendance and punctuality gold medals. Because I never had issues. 

Yada

« Reply #6178 on: October 03, 2017, 10:29:44 am »
Amen bearman... Seth really doesn't have a leg to stand on regarding this argument. By the way, I hope they didn't pay someone good money for this redesign.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #6179 on: October 03, 2017, 10:37:04 am »
It does leave you with the sense that now that the Anthem is opening, the 9:30 club, it's bookings, website, etc have become less important...