Author Topic: Visiting Baltimore  (Read 27310 times)

paul3mac

Re: Visiting Baltimore
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2006, 04:31:00 pm »
Originally posted by K8teebug:
  and I'll take a show at the ottobar over a bad sound, smoky ass, expensive drinks black cat any day.
amen sister!

yr covers blown

« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2006, 02:28:00 am »
Everyone hates the town they live in.  I love living in Austin most of the time, but that's because I moved here for college in 1999 from a shitty border town.  Sometimes the whole clique-ish everyone knows everyone bullshit gets to me and I want to leave.  Hello trip to MD.  Again, thanks for all the feedback.

Got Haggis?

« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2006, 08:39:00 am »
I love baltimore and live in the city.  Fells Point is not only for tourists...yeah there are some real shitty places there, but there are some great ones as well.

sonickteam2

« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2006, 08:52:00 am »
Originally posted by Jaguar:

Have you noticed that the only ones who tend to like Baltimore are a few people who don't live here? Accept for Sonick who has some weird, morbid fascination with the place since he left Canada. Wonder if he's on the mayor's payroll?

its not really that i have a fascination with baltimore, its just i cannot see why some people have this horrible opinion of it.  I mean, from the sounds of you and dupek and some others, when you go to Baltimore you step on dirty needles as bullets go whizzing by your head!
   I have lived here for 7 years and the only negative experiences i have are the same ones i had while living 2 years in Boston, and 1 /12 in Manhattan.

i find it pretty sad that people live somewhere they hate. if i thought i was stuck in a town, i would certainly feel terrible about it.

sounds more like you are too lazy to leave than that you just cant.

« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2006, 09:02:00 am »
Originally posted by the sonick:
     sounds more like you are too lazy to leave than that you just cant.
It may sound like that, nevertheless, truth it is.

lbcardoni

« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2006, 09:05:00 am »
I think that Fells Point has lost its tourist appeal to Power Plant Live...
 I don't see too many "tourists" strolling into Red Star, Trixies, Fletcher's, The Blarney Stone, or Reptillain Records....Unless by tourists, you mean people from Catonsville, then I am guilty of said charges.

« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2006, 09:11:00 am »
I work with two people who choose to live in Baltimore and commute to DC. Both have PHD's, both probably make at least 100K, and both prefer Baltimore.

Originally posted by Jaguar:

Have you noticed that the only ones who tend to like Baltimore are a few people who don't live here? Accept for Sonick who has some weird, morbid fascination with the place since he left Canada. Wonder if he's on the mayor's payroll?

lbcardoni

« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2006, 09:11:00 am »
Has anyone checked out  Shop Gentei ?

I went in after it openned and wasn't impressed with the selection and was wondering if it had gotten better

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2006, 12:09:00 am »
Listen, I grew up in Baltimore and know it well unlike those who didn't get to know Baltimore until the last 10 years or so. It is not the same city that it once was by any means. A few places have gotten better but, as a whole, the place has gotten so much worse, mostly because of vastly increased crime and political corruption.

For privacy reasons, I will not write about some of the things that I know of that would piss anyone off that have gone on just in City Hall alone that affect the entire city. I know, or have known, lots of people who work/ed there and have heard some horrible tales of insider corruption. BTW, most of these people were in middle or upper level management positions. Not just some courier or lower level employee.

Also Sonick, you may have gotten by unscathed but I have had more than my share of negative experiences here, mostly all in the past 10 years. Worse yet, I've known way too many people who have had bad experiences that were even worse than mine, including death. One of my long time friends was murdered in Bolton Hill by a couple teenagers in broad daylight during a robbery. This kind of stuff has greatly increased in the past decade or so for reasons I won't elaborate on now. It's for many more reasons than just drugs.  

Most of my personal experiences, though not all, were within the public school system. Now, you might say something like, "Yeah, but that's different. Everyone knows how bad the schools are." But the thing is, those schools are part of the city and I was usually in the very worst of them. They are real and they are horrendous and those kids who the system allows to get away with the worst behavior you can imagine are taking it right out to the streets and the cops aren't allowed to stop them either. So, consider yourself lucky so far and continue to take your street smarts with you. And make sure you watch out for your girlfriend and not be so cavelier about how tough and street smart she might be because a bullet can stop all that thinking in an instant. BTW, dodging bullets was sometimes par for the course on a typical trip to and from school...or even just getting through the school day.

Finally, for the record, I don't live in Baltimore City proper. I'm north of there in a nice neighborhood maybe akin to what Reston, Chantilly or Woodbridge would be to DC. I love my apartment, have a fantastic and peaceful view and lots of room for much, much less than what I'd pay in any of those areas. So, unless I can find a worthwhile job in the DC area that would allow me to afford something similiar, I'm not that quick to move. The downside is that I rarely go out anywhere in the Baltimore area since most of the places I prefer are in DC. One trade off for the other.

« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2006, 08:16:00 am »
I didn't grow up in Baltimore, but I did live the biggest chunk of my life in small town MD.  Now I am a suburban Baltimoron.  

Maryland, while not the worst of states, is certaintly no garden spot.   Most foreigners seems to like it somewhat, though.  So what do I know?  My son is growing up in Baltimore.  He seems to love it. He goes downtown nearly every day.  Go figure.

Myself, I much prefer the upper Great Lakes area over most of the rest of America.  I don't like city life, but if I had to choose one I'd pick Green Bay.  I like cheese.

K8teebug

« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2006, 08:19:00 am »
Fine.  Stay in your house.  Don't go out.  Then, I can enjoy a beer in my favorite bar in BALTIMORE without having to hear whiners like you complain about a fun city.

And for the record, I have more friends who've had problems in DC than in Baltimore.  So, I guess you should just move to South Dakota.

« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2006, 08:33:00 am »
Originally posted by K8teebug:
 I can enjoy a beer in my favorite bar in BALTIMORE
I don't hang out in restaurants.  I don't talk to debutantes. And the Great Lakes aren't in SD.

hutch

« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2016, 06:32:49 pm »
Be careful if you are in Baltimore.. two people I know on Facebook personally knew someone who got killed there in the last two days....

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2016, 06:38:15 pm »
Be careful if you are in Baltimore.. two people I know on Facebook personally knew someone who got killed there in the last two days....

any deets; I am there nearly every weekend.  ???

hutch

« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2016, 06:43:34 pm »

any deets; I am there nearly every weekend.  ???

well one was a student at morgan state i think? got stabbed about a mile north of there.. the other was a cook that a friend of mine knew... the first kid my other friend- an older guy who works helping people from the dc inner city academically or to go to college- used to work with/tutor i guess....

this is the second morgan state university student killed recently...