Author Topic: Visiting Baltimore  (Read 27308 times)

hutch

Re: Visiting Baltimore
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2016, 06:45:52 pm »
here is what my friend posted :

Here's the latest from the Baltimore Sun. http://www.baltimoresun.com/?/bs-md-ci-morgan-canvassing-20?
Is anyone up for a gathering tonight or tomorrow night to tell Marcus stories? You all were such great friends of Marcus, and he was to you. He and you do not deserve this, but we can at least get together and smile a little bit about why we all loved him.
My younger students and alums, this is why we call and text so often.

Morgan State student killed in stabbing Monday night
A Morgan State University student was stabbed about a mile north of campus in Northeast Baltimore Monday night, city police said.
BALTIMORESUN.COM|BY BALTIMORE SUN

hutch

« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2016, 06:46:33 pm »
and this is the second one

AddThis Sharing
 ·
So sad. I knew Mike and he was a super nice guy. We worked at summer camp together. The violence just never ever seems to end. I don't understand. I know poverty, lack of resources and a million other things make desperate people do desperate things. But everyone - most everyone - has a mother. Should know basic right from wrong. Should at least value and respect life. I find it hard to believe that every crime is committed by someone who never had a single chance or love from a parent. How did we get so far off the rails and why and how do we get back on? My heart aches for Mike. For his family. For our mutual friends that are grieving for him. And for all those affected by senseless violence, including myself, because my father was also killed by a completely senseless and random act of theft and murder. I feel overwhelming sadness.

Local Chef Shot, Killed During Robbery In Baltimore
Baltimore Police say a man has died after he was shot during a robbery overnight in Baltimore.
BALTIMORE.CBSLOCAL.COM|BY WJZ-TV | CBS BALTIMORE

hutch

« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2016, 06:46:55 pm »
I don't have that many FB friends so I found it all kind of striking....

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2016, 06:51:56 pm »
Be careful if you are in Baltimore.. two people I know on Facebook personally knew someone who got killed there in the last two days....

any deets; I am there nearly every weekend.  ???

well one was a student at morgan state i think? got stabbed about a mile north of there.. the other was a cook that a friend of mine knew... the first kid my other friend- an older guy who works helping people from the dc inner city academically or to go to college- used to work with/tutor i guess....

this is the second morgan state university student killed recently...

I love Baltimore; but the unsafe areas are Really unsafe; and the "safe" areas are not to be trifled with either...head on a swivel at all times.

Fells Point:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/crime/bs-md-briefs-arrest-0806-20160805-story.html

Roland Park:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/crime/bs-md-ci-homicide-20160709-story.html

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2016, 01:36:12 pm »
Fell's Point is pretty safe.  As safe as anyplace in DC.  Been going there all my life and never saw any issues.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2016, 01:41:12 pm »
Any place in Baltimore is safe as long as you ingratiate yourself to the locals. Look at your surroundings and point out similarities to the plot of The Wire. They love that. Bonus points if you lecture them on the challenges their school system faces in poverty stricken neighborhoods.
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #51 on: September 22, 2016, 01:51:54 pm »
Fell's Point is pretty safe.  As safe as anyplace in DC.  Been going there all my life and never saw any issues.

It only takes one incident to sour anybody on a certain place. I used to live in the "nuclear free zone" lovey-dovey hippie town of Takoma Park, Maryland. One day as I was walking home from the train station, two teenaged guys jumped me from behind and started pummeling me. I quickly gave my wallet to one of the guys. The other guy, not realizing his buddy had taken off with my wallet, continued kicking me in the head and demanding my wallet.

The silver lining of the story is that it was the Xmas season and they were probably able to split the $20 I had in my wallet and get their baby-mamas some nice stocking stuffers.

« Reply #52 on: September 22, 2016, 02:01:51 pm »

It only takes one incident to sour anybody on a certain place. I used to live in the "nuclear free zone" lovey-dovey hippie town of Takoma Park, Maryland. One day as I was walking home from the train station, two teenaged guys jumped me from behind and started pummeling me. I quickly gave my wallet to one of the guys. The other guy, not realizing his buddy had taken off with my wallet, continued kicking me in the head and demanding my wallet.
Shit, son. Do you wear a name tag with your board handle out in public? How did they know it was you?
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2016, 02:14:17 pm »

Shit, son. Do you wear a name tag with your board handle out in public? How did they know it was you?

I think ggw probably would have been the better target if they were looking for Xmas money.

vansmack

« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2016, 02:35:55 pm »
Any place in Baltimore is safe as long as you ingratiate yourself to the locals. Look at your surroundings and point out similarities to the plot of The Wire. They love that. Bonus points if you lecture them on the challenges their school system faces in poverty stricken neighborhoods.

Don't forget your love for Johns Hopkins.
27>34

« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2016, 02:42:02 pm »

Don't forget your love for Johns Hopkins.
#1 in LAX!!! Wooooo!!

We are practically natives.
LVMH

Got Haggis?

« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2016, 02:43:42 pm »
i've lived in baltimore for 12 years, no problems

although i did witness a brutal mugging a few months ago.  2 teens on top of this guy on howard st, 5pm - on light rail tracks...beating the shit out of him.  me and another guy were able to get them to stop, but they got his phone. 

moral of the story is....teenagers suck

« Reply #57 on: September 22, 2016, 02:55:15 pm »
i've lived in baltimore for 12 years, no problems

although i did witness a brutal mugging a few months ago.  2 teens on top of this guy on howard st, 5pm - on light rail tracks...beating the shit out of him.  me and another guy were able to get them to stop, but they got his phone. 

moral of the story is....teenagers suck

I think the moral of the story is if you come at the king you best not miss.
LVMH

Vas Deferens

« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2016, 05:41:02 pm »
Just don't go to the neighborhoods with those blue light police cameras and you'll be fine... ::)
(_|_)

hutch

« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2016, 06:53:36 pm »
 I dirve through a lot of Baltimore to go to the Kennedy Krieger Center and I have to say I have never seen anything as bad...its like Mad Max or some movie after a nuclear holocaust.. I'm guessing many people who live in Baltimore never go into these areas.. these areas are obviously the high crime areas....