Author Topic: Decemberists  (Read 16756 times)

proudestmonkey22

Decemberists
« on: March 05, 2005, 01:15:00 pm »
Are they here in may or june or what

afireinside

Re: Decemberists
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2005, 08:13:00 pm »
I just checked their website and it says they'll be here on may 6th...looks like tix not on sale yet...

measure 4

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2005, 07:57:00 pm »
anyone have an idea when tickets for this show go on sale? the decemberists web site claimed they would be on sale 3/1, but apparently that was not the case...

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2005, 09:14:00 pm »
are you on the 9:30 email list?  thats the best way to get info on when shows go on sale....

email list_serve@930.com  to get on the list.
T.Rex

ggw

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2005, 11:05:00 am »
Hello All,

At some time between 3 a.m. and 8 a.m., the bandâ??s gear trailer was stolen from outside a house in SE Portland, near the Aladdin Theatre. Heartbreakingly, it housed practically every piece of instrumentation belonging to the Decemberists.

So this is a sort of call to arms; I figure if we get the word out, maybe we all can collectively track it down.

The trailer in question is a WHITE 6′ x 12′ WELLS CARGO trailer. Thereâ??s a green â??VTâ?? (as in Vermont) sticker on the side door, among other smaller stickers, a BRITISH FLAG sticker on the front, and a â??NO ON 36′ sticker on the left back door. The license number is U34 8717 (Oregon).

Any information you might have on this, please report to the Portland Police. If you do see it, by all means call 911.

http://decemberists.com/news/2005/03/17/our-trailer-stolen/

ratioci nation

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2005, 11:07:00 am »
that sucks

markie

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2005, 11:34:00 am »
Ahh maybe it is for the best. I preffered Colin solo that way he cannot play the Tain.

Yay!

Bags

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2005, 11:51:00 pm »
I posted this in the St. Patty's Day thread, since this is how I celebrated:

I was in Portland, OR, gearing up for the Decemberists show at The Crystal Ballroom. And then my friend who lives out there (and bought the tickets) calls me and says, "you sittin' down? All the band's stuff was stolen, and they don't say whether the show is cancelled or not." See Pitchfork story below, and I'll tell you what happened next.....

quote:
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------
 The Decemberists' Trailer, Gear Stolen!
 (See Pitchfork story posted by ggw}
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, they borrowed instruments and they were GREAT. The new songs sound awesome, and the addition of Petra Haden adds some really interesting, different harmonies (and a great cover of Kate Bush's "Wuthering Heights"). It was really quite funny because some of the instruments -- the standing double bass, a bass guitar and something else -- still had price tags hanging on them. It was a wee bit Hee Haw. But, Portland is their hometown, so I wasn't surprised they could get gear. But I was surprised at how well they played with borrowed instruments, etc.

As for the Crystal Ballroom, it's a new venue in Portland (relatively -- couple years old). Big space, and the drinking section is fully separated with black-light entrance, and you have to stay there if you have a drink. There's an aisle divided between the two sections, and they have a beer/jagermeister cart they run up and down the aisle. And the floor is bouncy -- some technical architectural feature. ?? Great show, cool to be at a new place, but certainly reifies my love and admiration for the 9:30.  

Markie, I think the addition of Petra will make the show worthwhile.  Plus, no "Tain"!  

Bags

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2005, 11:53:00 pm »
Posted today on The Decemberists' website.

Vancouver Show Postponed
    General News â?? admin @ 9:28 am

Hello All,

Iâ??m terribly sorry to report that weâ??ve cancelled our show in Vanouver as a consequence of our recent gear theft. We desperately need just one more day to breath and collect our thoughts before heading out on the rest of the tour.

This a postponement, not a cancellation, and as soon as I have information about another date I will post it. All other dates will go an as scheduled.

Thanks to everyone for being so sweet and supportive during this whole debacle. There are some ugly, soulless people in this world but thankfully they are exponentially outnumbered by lovely, kind and sweet people.

Colin

ggw

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2005, 01:27:00 pm »
Hello All

As you may or may not know, the police found our trailer. Tucked in some tidy corner of Clackamas, just outside Portland, the thieves had emptied it of all its contents aside from the boxes of t-shirts and CDâ??s. Getting the trailer and the merchandise back was a huge relief, but we are still bereft of our beloved instruments. In an effort to get the word out, weâ??ve included the Stolen Gear List on the site. You will need Adobe Reader to view it.

We entreat you to keep an eye out for these instruments if you happen to be browsing through eBay or craigslist or are wandering through your local music store or pawn shop.

Also, a few kind souls from the message board have set up a benefit fund through PayPal for offsetting the cost of replacing these instruments, as well as the outboard gear of our brand new sound engineer, Will Markwell, who had been with us for only one show before this terrible event occurred. Naturally, we feel pretty terrible about this. Sadly, much of the equipment was not insured. We know to not be so callow in the future.

If youâ??d like to donate to this fund (between $1 and $100 â?? it all helps) simple go the following page: www.decemberists.com/fund.html and enter the amount you feel comfortable donating.

Thank you so much.

Colin.

jkeisenh

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2005, 02:09:00 pm »
I plan on donating and hope everyone else will too.  

Come on, the Tain is awesome.  It's not like the rest of the Decemberists' stuff, but it's musically an achievement that's truly amazing.

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2005, 02:16:00 pm »
I dunno, any band that is up to playing venues the size of the 9:30 Club is probably not really in major need of donations to replace their stolen instruments.

This same thing happened to BR549 last year, twice. Insurance paid both times. It seems it's not an uncommon thing, and to not have insurance on the stuff is just retarded. I feel bad for them, but not that bad.

ggw

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2005, 11:55:00 am »

jkeisenh

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2005, 12:08:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  ...camel's in disrepair...
c'mon, man, that zoo's in disrepair!  they should have closed the place a while ago.  it can't seem to keep anything alive.

Bags

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2005, 01:03:00 pm »
Quick Spins
 Wednesday, March 23, 2005; Page C05
 The Washington Post

PICARESQUE

The Decemberists

The Decemberists' Colin Meloy is a man of many affectations. He sings in an approximation of a British accent, has an acute affinity for maritime themes, and his songs are stuffed with words that would make a Scrabble player salivate.

The first line of "The Infanta," the first song on "Picaresque," ends with the word "palanquin," which Meloy promptly half-rhymes with "elephant." Needless to say, the Decemberists trade in deliriously pretentious faux exoticism, the songs populated by prostitutes, princes and pirates, spies and street vendors coveting "silk Arabian thread," all in service of songs redolent of the lush romanticism popularized by the likes of Jacques Brel, Kurt Weill and (splitting the difference) cult crooner Scott Walker. What brings such immaculately detailed songs as "16 Military Wives," "The Engine Driver" and the epic "The Mariner's Revenge Song" (which ends with an East European-styled rave-up) down to earth is Meloy's modest voice, his comfortably mundane indie-rock delivery somewhat at odds with the highly literate material.

It's a Brechtian illusion-breaking reminder that, like the staged interpretations of several songs reproduced in the disc's booklet, the Decemberists' carefully constructed tunes -- folk flavored with the half-familiar foreignness of the Old Country -- ultimately amount to little more than an elaborate game of dress-up.

-- Joshua Klein

The Decemberists are scheduled to play May 6 at the 9:30 club.