Author Topic: Absurd Service Fees  (Read 12411 times)

nkotb

Re: Absurd Service Fees
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2004, 02:50:00 pm »
As always, masterful, my dear Thirsty.  Masterful.

Originally posted by thirsty moore:
  Mankie still only charges 5 quid for one of those in the bathroom.

Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
 How much for the deluxe lube job?
[/b]

ggw

« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2004, 02:52:00 pm »
Originally posted by nkotbie:
  As always, masterful, my dear Thirsty.  Masterful.

Back-to-back, no less.

mankie

« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2004, 03:01:00 pm »

Originally posted by mankie:

....scam merchants....
How much do you charge for an oil change on one of those Ferraris you peddle? [/b]
Dumb-ass, they don't do "oil-changes" like on your Lexus/Benz/BMW or whatever it is. [/b]
Do tell more.......

How much for the deluxe lube job? [/b]
If you need to ask that question then you're obviously not in the Ferrari league...try BMW next door sir. Thank you, have a great day.

nkotb

« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2004, 03:03:00 pm »
This might be a record.  For the first time in recorded history, GGW is being knocked down for NOT being elitist enough.  Surely the first sign of the end times.

If you need to ask that question then you're obviously not in the Ferrari league...try BMW next door sir. Thank you, have a great day.

ggw

« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2004, 03:03:00 pm »
COP-OUT!!!!

ggw

« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2004, 03:04:00 pm »
Originally posted by nkotbie:
  This might be a record.  For the first time in recorded history, GGW is being knocked down for NOT being elitist enough.  Surely the first sign of the end times.

I feel like such a failure.

mankie

« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2004, 03:07:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bags:

I realize that 9:30 made the vendor choice, but there are no other options.   [/b]
There are always options bags....the 930 and all the other venues that use these scam merchants can't be bothered to do anything about it though. [/b]
What are the options, outside of setting up a service run by the club, which I would never do as a club owner.  9:30 tried, by going with tickets.com early on. [/b]
Well, for example, if all the venues got together and started their own ticket agency and completely cut the other two out, and charged a more reasonable service charge, that's just one idea.

There's no eleventh commandment that says "All tickets must be purchased via ticketbastard or tickets.scam."

It cracks me up how everyone jumped all over microsoft for being a "monopoly" which it isn't by the way, but are quite happily shafted by the two ticket agencies day in day out without any action being taken.

thirsty moore

« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2004, 03:10:00 pm »
I think Pearl Jam addressed this issue a few years back.  It didn't really catch on though.

It cracks me up how everyone jumped all over microsoft for being a "monopoly" which it isn't by the way, but are quite happily shafted by the two ticket agencies day in day out without any action being taken.

mankie

« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2004, 03:12:00 pm »

COP-OUT!!!! [/b]
Not at all, when you come in and buy one I'll be happy to give you a tour of the service dept. and race shop and explain in detail the maintenance schedule...Anyway, I'm sure you can find it on one of your little websearches.

mankie

« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2004, 03:16:00 pm »
Originally posted by thirsty moore:
  I think Pearl Jam addressed this issue a few years back.  It didn't really catch on though.

[/b]
Because nobody but Pearl Jam gave a toss, and the fans will let themselves get screwed because they love the music so much.

It's a dead issue that's been discussed on the board many times though thirsty. The club owners still get people in their venues so they don't care, and the fans obviously aren't pissed off enough to start boycotting shows.

Bags

« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2004, 03:19:00 pm »

I realize that 9:30 made the vendor choice, but there are no other options.   [/b]
[/b]
[/b]
It cracks me up how everyone jumped all over microsoft for being a "monopoly" which it isn't by the way, but are quite happily shafted by the two ticket agencies day in day out without any action being taken. [/b]
I am not "happily shafted" as I rarely use TM or T.com, and I agree that this is a monopoly issue.  In terms on 9:30 Club's level of responsibility, I argue that the blame is not theirs.  And to me, not going to shows does no good for the marketplace.

I'm not arguing with you -- the ticket services SUCK ASS -- except that I don't think there are all that many options for a venue at this time.  They should not *have* to get into a business they don't want to.

mankie

« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2004, 03:29:00 pm »

I am not "happily shafted" as I rarely use TM or T.com, and I agree that this is a monopoly issue.  In terms on 9:30 Club's level of responsibility, I argue that the blame is not theirs.  And to me, not going to shows does no good for the marketplace.

I'm not arguing with you -- the ticket services SUCK ASS -- except that I don't think there are all that many options for a venue at this time.  They should not *have* to get into a business they don't want to. [/b]
..and I'm not arguing with you.

They're already in the business, they put on shows that requires a ticket to see it, so that puts them in the ticket business.

I'm just saying if the venues/stadiums really wanted to do something about it they could.

Personally, I hardly ever go to shows anymore and the service charges are a very large part of the reason. My decision on which shows etc. I see is based on what artist/sporting event/show I'll accept getting ripped off by the ticket agency for. Which is not exactly a positive start to an entertainment experience is it?

ggw

« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2004, 03:38:00 pm »
 They're already in the business, they put on shows that requires a ticket to see it, so that puts them in the ticket business.

And they sell tickets at the club. For a $1.

But some people can't be inconvenienced by going to the club to buy tickets.  They would prefer the convenience of buying them at a closer location, or buying them very conveniently over the phone or on the computer.  Convenience costs money.  It costs money to build ticket outlets, license software, man phone lines, design and maintain websites, send out tickets, etc... Hence, the convenience of acquiring a ticket is a service that is separate from the ticket itself.  And it costs money.  

If you are willingly paying the price for using that convenience, then the only one "shafting" you is you.

Bags

« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2004, 03:43:00 pm »

And they sell tickets at the club. For a $1.

But some people can't be inconvenienced by going to the club to buy tickets.  They would prefer the convenience of buying them at a closer location, or buying them very conveniently over the phone or on the computer.  Convenience costs money.  It costs money to build ticket outlets, license software, man phone lines, design and maintain websites, send out tickets, etc... Hence, the convenience of acquiring a ticket is a service that is separate from the ticket itself.  And it costs money.  
 [/b]
Yup.  It's far different operating a venue and selling tickets at a walk-up window from dealing with a HIGHLY resource-intensive consumer service which involves mailing, dealing with tickets not showing up, customer complaints, customer screwups, name changes for ticket pick-up, etc.

Blech, makes my head spin.

Seth Hurwitz

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2004, 08:08:00 am »
Originally posted by mark e smith:

Its not worth it for me, either.
and that is the correct answer

add up the total, don't get hung up on who gets what and, if it's too much, don't go

otherwise go and have fun