Author Topic: The Smiths  (Read 12717 times)

Brian_Wallace

Re: The Smiths
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2007, 01:54:00 pm »
Originally posted by le sonick:

every generation needs bands to call their own.
Amen.  I agree 100%.  I'm going to get that tattooed on my forehead.  

Brian

sonickteam2

« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2007, 01:55:00 pm »
Originally posted by Brian Wallace:

The most amazing thing about the Smiths was that from the time they released "Hand in Glove" (May 1983) to the time Johnny Marr spoke the words: "I didn't form a group to perform Cilla Black songs" (August 1987) it was four years and three months.

All they accomplished: Four albums, seventeen singles (eight(!!!) of which weren't on a proper studio album) and millions of fans whose lives were changed.

Fifty-one months and they were gone.  You can place their entire career in the time between Radiohead albums.  

sounds like Blink 182 to me!!!!

perhaps if the smiths did this sort of stuff now, they would be a "flash in the pan"???

sonickteam2

« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2007, 01:56:00 pm »

Originally posted by le sonick:

every generation needs bands to call their own.
Amen.  I agree 100%.  I'm going to get that tattooed on my forehead.  

Brian [/b]
how about on your forearm, you may live to regret a forehead tat!

:D

« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2007, 01:58:00 pm »
You're more sarcastic than I am!

Originally posted by sweetcell:

how can it possibly compete with AFI or fallout boy?

confused. [/b]
A Fire Inside, My Chemical Romance and Fall Out Boy all ROCK!  They are awesome.

Brian [/b]

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2007, 02:12:00 pm »
Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes,Japanese Golfer:

confused. [/b]
A Fire Inside, My Chemical Romance and Fall Out Boy all ROCK!  They are awesome.

Brian [/b]
[/b]
My sincerity is often mistaken for sarcasm.  That's my curse.  I really do like those bands.  Whether I have gladioli hanging out of my back pocket or not...

Brian

bearman🐻

« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2007, 02:19:00 pm »
I thought that was the case...my sarcasm-meter was surprisingly still when I read that post.

« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2007, 02:25:00 pm »
You're at least 20 years younger than I am!

confused. [/b]

Brian [/b]
[/b]
My sincerity is often mistaken for sarcasm.  That's my curse.  I really do like those bands.  Whether I have gladioli hanging out of my back pocket or not...

Brian [/b]

bnyced0

« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2007, 02:55:00 pm »
Originally posted by TheDirector217:
  Note: Sorry to swagger-jack your trademark, B.     :D  
NO CE PROBLEMA, BUT IF YOU'RE GOING TO DO IT....

A sad fact widely known
 The most impassionate song
 To a lonely soul
 Is so easily outgrown
 But don't forget the songs
 That made you smile
 And the songs that made you cry
 When you lay in awe
 On the bedroom floor
 And said : "Oh, oh, smother me Mother..."
 No ...
 Rubber ring, rubber ring, rubber ring, rubber ring
 La ...

The passing of time
 And all of its crimes
 Is making me sad again
 The passing of time
 And all of its sickening crimes
 Is making me sad again
 But don't forget the songs
 That made you cry
 And the songs that saved your life
 Yes, you're older now
 And you're a clever swine
 But they were the only ones who ever stood by you

The passing of time leaves empty lives
 Waiting to be filled (the passing ...)
 The passing of time
 Leaves empty lives
 Waiting to be filled
 I'm here with the cause
 I'm holding the torch
 In the corner of your room
 Can you hear me ?
 And when you're dancing and laughing
 And finally living
 Hear my voice in your head
 And think of me kindly
 No ...
 La ...
 No ...

Do you
 Love me like you used to ?
 Oh ...
 La ...

You're clever
 Everybody's clever nowadays
 You're clever
 Everybody's clever nowadays

You are sleeping
 You do not want to believe
 You are sleeping
 You are sleeping
 You are sleeping

....KEEP IT ON POINT.

b.   :cool:

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2007, 02:07:00 pm »
I give up on this board because it became boring and then I have a little lurk one day and come across this topic!

The Smiths - Johnny Marr, a wonderful musician with his own style that nobody has been able to mimick even though some have tried. Mike Joyce a barely average drummer and Andy Rourke an average bassist on a good day. You basically have a one man band who could've been been accompanied by anyone who can tune a bass or hold up a drumstick. Then you have Morrissey who is one of the most gifted and underrated songwriters of any generation. Between Morrissey and Marr you have a songwriting partnership who should be recognized alongside Lennon/McCartney and John/Taupin, but they aren't because of the subject matter of many of his lyrics. The only difference is Morrissey will write a song about uncomfortable subjects that other songwriters either won't or can't - November Spawned a Monster for example. (Post Smiths I know, but still Morrissey)

What do The Smiths mean to me? Well, being the same age as Morrissey and growing up in Manc I really connect with many of his songs. Headmasters Ritual and Suffer Little Children to name just two. At the time, I loved The Smiths but never truly appreciated them. I remember watching them on Top of the Pops singing "Heavens Knows I'm Miserable Now" with my dad sat in his favourite chair smoking like a trooper and making remarks like "Look at that pillock with the twig sticking out of his arse" (if you haven't seen it youtube it) If only my dad knew what that he could've been the subject of a Morrissey song himself, with his victorian views and dry and sometimes hurtful wit.

What The Smiths meant to me as a younger man was that other people feel this angst, fear, depression and helplessness that I felt as a teenager trying to become a man, and it was a great comfort to know that someone was writing songs about it so I didn't feel such a freak. What they meant to me as an adult was totally different. When I first moved to the USA I was hopelessly homesick, which was weird seeing as I'd not really lived anywhere other than on a warship for the previous 10+ years. I think it had more to do with being alone in America with this weird accent that the locals couldn't understand (think Gallagher brothers and the necessity for subtitles when they get interviewed stateside) and this very strange culture shock that I wasn't expecting whatsoever. I was newly married to an American who either didn't get it, or didn't want to get the fact I was finding it hard to settle in. What did I do? I did what I always did during difficult times, I turned to my music collection. All of a sudden The Smiths became something totally different to me. They became 'home' to me. I would sit and listen to them constantly and be back home in manc, and being in the weird country surrounded by these fake people telling me to have a nice day when they really didn't give a toss if a double decker bus killed me as soon as I walked out of the shop, didn't matter so much anymore. I also tried stop trying so hard to fit in and just started to be myself again, instead of just another foriegner trying to become a psuedo American.

I am one of these people who reads the lyrics before playing an album so very much influenced by the words. I admire Bowie - Mike Scott and other great songwriters, but none write songs that touch me like Morrissey. Paul Heaton comes close because he also writes about northern England...kind of a Moz lite if you know what I mean.....

ggw

« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2007, 04:55:00 pm »
So, Dylan and the Beatles suck, but My Chemical Romance and Fall Out Boy are "awesome"....

I thought one had to be at least 13 to post on this board.

confused. [/b]

Brian [/b]
[/b]

Brian [/b]

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2007, 08:41:00 pm »
in the midst of the sniping, I think this post must receive recognition for showing the power that great music can hold... far more than entertainment.

Originally posted by Roadbike Mankie:
  I give up on this board because it became boring and then I have a little lurk one day and come across this topic!
_\|/_

Mobius

« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2007, 09:52:00 pm »
Originally posted by They call me Doctor Doom.:
  in the midst of the sniping, I think this post must receive recognition for showing the power that great music can hold... far more than entertainment.

Originally posted by Roadbike Mankie:
[/b]
Agreed.  Very nice post.  Although it was a little boring (just kidding).

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2013, 09:53:01 am »
(o|o)

Relaxer

« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2013, 10:02:51 am »
Anyone ever get the feeling that Atomicfront and Brian Wallace are the same person? I feel like over the years, there's always been one poster whose every opinion and every post was just perfectly tailored to outrage people. I honestly can't believe Atomicfront is a real person who is representing himself genuinely, in the same way I couldn't believe BW was a real person. Is this all a Dupek experiment?
oword

K8teebug

« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2013, 10:07:50 am »
That is wonderful.