Author Topic: $12.25? Go fuck yourself, Tickets.com  (Read 20811 times)

ggw

Re: $12.25? Go fuck yourself, Tickets.com
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2003, 11:47:00 am »
Hey Mankie -- have you ever listened to the Decemberists?

They could be your token 21st century band.  They're really quite good.

mankie

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2003, 11:49:00 am »
Originally posted by The Pariah:

Originally posted by mankie:
  Read my earlier comment...I buy about 70% less tickets now,  
Is that just because you have less free time and more commitments though. Patriot center is a pisser as there is no other way of getting tickets other than ticketmaster.

And that is really what I am getting at, the 930 does a good service keeping the ticket window open a lot of the time.

I will miss you at the badly drawn boy show though.... And B&S is losing out to the decemberists...... [/b]
The main reason I've cut down is the service fees, so I make less of an effort to check out new bands. I work out near Dulles airport and live in Aspen Hill and don't get home till 8'ish every night, so "zipping" down to the club is not really an option for me....which brings us back to the service fees.

Patriot center is definately one of the worst venues EVER, and after suffering through Oasis there a few years ago vowed I would never go unless it was a major concert that I couldn't live without...Bowie meets that requirement. Although I admit I was thinking of passing on it because of the venue, but my wife has never seen the man in concert so that was the deciding factor.

I'm bummed about BDB too, but I had tic's for B&S last time but couldn't go....I may break-down at the last minute if it doesn't sell out so I can get tic's on the night for old Damon, but for now I'm not planning on going.

mankie

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2003, 11:53:00 am »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  Hey Mankie -- have you ever listened to the Decemberists?

They could be your token 21st century band.  They're really quite good.
looks like I'm off to Barnes & Noble sometime this week to give them a listen.

I've been listening to my B&S albums this week to get into that mode....they really are a great band but if he was a friend I'd have togive him a dope slap and tell him to stop his fucking whinging and be a man and pull himself together for crying out loud!!!!   :D

markie

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2003, 11:58:00 am »
Would Mankie, like the decemberists.....

Pitchfork likened them to an American Coral. I bet he would prefer the coral...... But the decemberists are hard to judge from a quick listen of just one song. It took a little while to grow on me. The first album and here I dreamt I was an architect and July July are fantastic. the middle of the album is slower and more awkward.

My verdict is Mankie will like the decemderists only if he buys the album and he wont buy the album if he just listens to the 30s clips.

Instead, if he has not already, he should get the coral.

ggw

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2003, 12:07:00 pm »
  Pitchfork likened them to an American Coral.
That's funny -- that's a completely accurate description.  I think it's the use of atypical instruments like the accordion, and a penchant for mixing indie and traditional musical styles - something both The Coral and The Decemberists do.

I agree that ...Architect and July July are the best songs on either album, but I think that the new album is the better album.

mankie

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2003, 12:09:00 pm »
  Would Mankie, like the decemberists.....

Pitchfork likened them to an American Coral. I bet he would prefer the coral...... But the decemberists are hard to judge from a quick listen of just one song. It took a little while to grow on me. The first album and here I dreamt I was an architect and July July are fantastic. the middle of the album is slower and more awkward.

My verdict is Mankie will like the decemderists only if he buys the album and he wont buy the album if he just listens to the 30s clips.

Instead, if he has not already, he should get the coral.
errr. HELLO! I am here you know. Stop talking about me......

markie

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2003, 12:13:00 pm »

I agree that ...Architect and July July are the best songs on either album, but I think that the new album is the better album.
track 8 as well " I am a legionaire, camel in dis-repair, waiting for frigidaire, to come passing" is pretty good.

I think you are crazy for prefering the second album. The first two songs are a bit of a turn off, too quiet and sparse, for me.

The coral are way more poppier than the decemberists. More like the decemberists after they had listened to the jam. Perhaps even more so with the new Coral albumn. Billy McCai, reminds me of the Jam quite a bit..... Its a bit like Smithers-Jones. I did give you that coral albumn, right?

markie

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2003, 12:14:00 pm »

[qb] Would Mankie, like the decemberists.....

errr. HELLO! I am here you know. Stop talking about me...... [/b]
I thought you would like that.

So do you have the coral?

Bags

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2003, 12:31:00 pm »
Uh oh, then I think the Decemberists are out for Bags.  I bought a couple Coral singles, giving me five songs altogether, and they just don't float my boat.  If the Decemberists are even less poppy, I'm not sure they'll grab me.

[qb]
 The coral are way more poppier than the decemberists. More like the decemberists after they had listened to the jam. Perhaps even more so with the new Coral albumn. [/b]

Tom Cashel

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2003, 01:31:00 pm »
The Decemberists are great!

Sir HC

« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2003, 01:38:00 pm »
Originally posted by bags:
  Uh oh, then I think the Decemberists are out for Bags.  I bought a couple Coral singles, giving me five songs altogether, and they just don't float my boat.  If the Decemberists are even less poppy, I'm not sure they'll grab me.

[qb]
 The coral are way more poppier than the decemberists. More like the decemberists after they had listened to the jam. Perhaps even more so with the new Coral albumn. [/b]
[/b]
The Coral while nice remind me too much of the Three Dog Night.

mankie

« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2003, 01:43:00 pm »
Originally posted by Sir HC:

The Coral while nice remind me too much of the Three Dog Night. [/b]
...then markie was obviously taking the piss.

markie

« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2003, 01:55:00 pm »

Originally posted by Sir HC:

The Coral while nice remind me too much of the Three Dog Night. [/b]
...then markie was obviously taking the piss. [/b]
No, I wasnt taking the piss. the coral are great in my book.

I have never heard of three dog night. A perousal of allmusic and their song highlights did not bring back any memories of ever hearing them at all.

Bags, which singles did you get?

PR_GMR

« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2003, 02:22:00 pm »
I hear all of you about your service charge woes. I sat down on Sunday to buy a ticket for Belle And Sebastian and went I found out the services charges amounted to 9 bucks, I just cancelled my purchase. That's 1/3rd of the price of the ticket. I said, Hell No. I guess I'll have to miss that show.

I'm in Baltimore and just can't zip by the club to get tickets. I'll be down there tommorrow night for Supergrass.. so if there are still tickets for B&S, I'll get mine then.   :cool:

Sir HC

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2003, 02:28:00 pm »
 I have never heard of three dog night. A perousal of allmusic and their song highlights did not bring back any memories of ever hearing them at all.

I like them too, but the vocals and instrumentation have that early 70's vibe and remind me of Three Dog Night.  When I first played the album for a friend, onee song, Dreaming of You, sounded like a cover of a Three Dog Night (TDN) song.  My friend said it was a TDN song, but alas it is listed as an original.