Author Topic: The perfect metaphor for 95% of the 9:30 club message bo  (Read 7451 times)

Brian_Wallace

The perfect metaphor for 95% of the 9:30 club message bo
« on: April 29, 2008, 10:34:00 am »
Hippest of festivals? check.  Retarded baby boomer? check ...who everyone thinks is a genius?  check.

"Vote Obama" slogans?  check.

Your pathetic fellation of Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Morrissey, Nick Cave, Lou Reed, Springsteen, Beatles, Lennon, Paul Weller floating away while fresh, young talent remains?  check.

Where or where has your little pig gone?

Brian

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: The perfect metaphor for 95% of the 9:30 club message bo
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 10:41:00 am »
Who votes I delete this garbage!
T.Rex

alex

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 10:41:00 am »
I think this is the first Brian Wallace post that has actually made me laugh.

manimtired

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 10:50:00 am »
This reminds me of the Homerpalooza Simpsons episode.

bearman🐻

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 10:56:00 am »
It's not funny...it's tiring and boring. If he hates being here so much, why doesn't he just go the fuck away? It's a waste of his time, and ours. I moved away from my family to get away from people who spew negativity. Brian Wallace is like the drunken guest at the Christmas dinner table who gets up on the table and takes a shit on your plate. I'm done with it.

sonickteam2

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 10:58:00 am »
Originally posted by bearman:
   Brian Wallace is like the drunken guest at the Christmas dinner table who gets up on the table and takes a shit on your plate. I'm done with it.
the fat drunken guest, actually!

nkotb

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 11:01:00 am »
Man, no wonder you wanted to get away from your family.

Originally posted by bearman:
  Brian Wallace is like the drunken guest at the Christmas dinner table who gets up on the table and takes a shit on your plate.
I say leave the post.  It's a post from Brian, so everyone should know what to expect, and the title doesn't exactly give the warm and fuzzies that he's NOT going to mock the board.

If you really can't stand Brian's posts, just don't read them.  Seems pretty easy.  Personally, I'd rather have someone to offer different (if not fundamentally wrong) opinions here, but that just might be me...

Seth Hurwitz

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 11:15:00 am »
I love the guy

makes me feel good about not trying to please the perennially unhappy

RustyOrgan

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 11:18:00 am »
How come Seth isn't No. 1??
 I'd delete this lame thread

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 11:20:00 am »
bearman: agreed.  i don't get why he bothers with this bboard.  maybe brian is delusional and thinks he's on a crusade to change hipsterdom?   :roll:  

question: is brian as much of a loud-mouth douche in real life as he is on this board?

methinks not.  i'm willing to bet he's a frustrated, quiet man who has trouble talking to other people.  probably a shut-in.  should we send food, brian?  maybe a hug?  a therapist to help you work through the issues associated with having been abused by a classic rock hit?

or maybe you just need to grow up.  your on-going whining is childish.
<sig>

sonickteam2

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 11:27:00 am »
Originally posted by Seth Hurwitz:
  I love the guy

makes me feel good about not trying to please the perennially unhappy
Yeah, cause Brian is such a happy go lucky guy. is he going to your festival?  i bet he isnt!

i think some people have the strange stereotype that people on here are perenially unhappy.  

I think its ridiculous. But i guess if thinking the Offspring, Lil Wayne and KT Tunstall at a festival isnt worth spending $200 on....then color me unhappy!

There are several , i mean, dozens of threads on this board that are positive.  But one negative thread and "OMG these people are crybabies!!!"  

Is it easier to discount a demographic when you say they are impossible to please?

RustyOrgan

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2008, 11:34:00 am »
I think it's time to retire the expression 'color me '

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2008, 11:39:00 am »
Well, I don't consider myself a misanthrope but...

Actually, this probably belongs in the Vfest thread but Seth, PLEASE, specify some sort of rehearsal for Mr. Berry and the Silver Jews or Silver ELO or whatever.  I've personally seen Mr. Berry perform and:

#1)  Bo Diddley blew him off the stage which...

#2) ...wasn't too hard a feat.

It sounds shambolic and not in the Mats-in-'84-after-the-club-offered-free-beer "cool" shambolic way.  Really sort of "what the hell is he playing?" kind of way, which tends to lose a festival crowd.

Funny anecdote.  You know what a Springsteen nut I am (R.I.P., Phantom Danny.) Anyhow, during the early 70's Springsteen was playing various halls up and down the Jersey shore and was in a promoterâ??s office after the show.  Springsteen saw that Chuck Berry was coming in soon and the promoter complained that he would have to put together a backing band.  Springsteen looked at the other E Streeters and volunteered "WE could be his band!"  So, Bruce and company rehearse Berry's catalog and set up the night of the show.  With the crowd waiting, Berry gets out of his Cadillac carrying his Gibson ES-335 in its case and goes to the promoterâ??s office to get paid.  After that he gets introduced, comes on stage and plugs in, never acknowledging Bruce and the band.  Bruce asks him what songs they're going to play.  Chuck replies "We're going to play some Chuck Berry songs, son" and launches into "No Particular Place to Go."  

True story.  But it's actually a lot better when Bruce tells it.

Brian

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2008, 11:48:00 am »
I say let him have his say...he spends his whole life in his bedroom posting on the 930 board or wanking off to National Geographic magazine because he's not old enough to buy Penthouse or Hustler.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2008, 11:51:00 am »
ok calling it garbage was a bit harsh.. however, what bugs me most is the constantly flawd logic being used here...

sure 95% of this board still listens to and gets excited for acts/bands of the past.  i would also say that the vast majority of the people here also get excited for the young fresh talent out there as well..  however apparently we can't listen to the past and aren't listening to the proper young fresh talent.  i honestly want to know what proper young fresh talent is BW approved as all it has ever seemed to be is Fallout Boy, Panic At The Disco and Dana Cook.  none which is very fresh...  BW claims to being saving us hipsters and olde music fans from themselves, but trying to foist those acts don't our throats ain't going to cut it.

p.s. bashing people here for liking any band that appears in pitchfork is such a non-starter, given it's become a clearing house for "indie rock".  it's like bashing a gadget that shows on gizmodo or engadget.
T.Rex