Author Topic: Snailhook...  (Read 86869 times)

azaghal1981

Re: Snailhook...
« Reply #75 on: September 03, 2008, 02:38:00 pm »
Oh no I'm going.

Was thinking maybe we could get a Fursaxa set down here too.
احمد

BookerT

« Reply #76 on: September 03, 2008, 02:44:00 pm »
i saw brightblack last time they were here and it was ok, but kinda boring. a pleasant kind of boring, but still. not sure if they are worth a trek to b'more. espers opened for them and were waaaaay better.

azaghal1981

« Reply #77 on: September 09, 2008, 06:47:00 pm »
Don't know how I forgot to mention them until now but I'd love to see Emeralds.
احمد

snailhook

« Reply #78 on: September 10, 2008, 04:57:00 pm »
you guys are gonna have to start a "hey bucket" thread soon, because he's the dude taking over for me at the velvet lounge in a few months. free folk fest 5 on saturday, details coming soon...

azaghal1981

« Reply #79 on: September 18, 2008, 11:31:00 am »
Check your email.
احمد

Captain Jack

« Reply #80 on: September 18, 2008, 04:17:00 pm »
let me get the contact for the new VL booking dude

snailhook

« Reply #81 on: September 19, 2008, 03:28:00 pm »
we'll both be using velvetloungedc@gmail.com for a while. while he'll be doing most of the booking come january, i will still have my filthy hands in the pot and will continue to bring some quality acts to dc.

azaghal1981

« Reply #82 on: November 26, 2008, 07:25:00 pm »
Jack Rose is playing in Philly on 12/16, NC on 12/18 and nowhere on 12/17. Any chance of getting him to play the Velvet for the third time this year?
احمد

snailhook

« Reply #83 on: November 27, 2008, 01:41:00 am »
nope, he's not coming through again. probably next spring. however, we might be getting flower travelin' band in march...

azaghal1981

« Reply #84 on: November 27, 2008, 01:58:00 am »
"however, we might be getting flower travelin' band in march..."

That'd be amazing.
احمد

teepo

« Reply #85 on: November 28, 2008, 12:19:00 am »
SATORI!

azaghal1981

« Reply #86 on: November 30, 2008, 11:02:00 pm »
Holy shit they've still got it.

Please make this happen.
احمد

azaghal1981

« Reply #87 on: January 15, 2009, 08:27:26 pm »
Will Marshall Allen and/or Elliott Levin be joining Han Bennink or will it just be him or him and someone else?

Came across the Marshall Allen thing here but anyone can post anything there so I have no idea as to how legit it is.

Also, will I catch any of Kohoutek Dashin Gassoudan's set if I show up at 12:30-ish?
احمد

snailhook

« Reply #88 on: January 16, 2009, 02:20:30 am »
Azaghal, Marshall is not playing the DC show.  There was talk about it happening, but we decided to keep it Han solo.  The fabulous Nathan Bowles from Blacksburg VA, who is in Black History Moth, Black Twigs and Spiral Joy Band and who has played with Jack Rose and Pelt, will be joining KDG on kit and various percussion.  John Howard (of Hat City Intuitive/Plums/Foreign Press/Spaceships Panic Orbit) will be playing kit.  We're going to start the show at 10ish.  It should be done my midnight.  See info below.

You will like to know, however, that I've formed a new ensemble called Chromatic Mysteries, featuring Marshall Allen on saxes/flute, Elliott Levin (Cecil Taylor/New Ghost/Tyrone Hill) on saxes/flute/vocals, Michael Gibbons (Bardo Pond/Alasehir) on guitar, and Ed Ricart (PRV Trio) on guitar.  We'll be playing Twins on Wednesday 2/18.  Expect some monstrous space rock-influenced free jazz.

Clavius Productions is pleased to present the first DC solo appearance by Dutch improv legend Han Bennink. This is one event not to be missed, especially for those who appreciate percussion and progressive artistic thinking. I am incredibly honored to be sharing a stage with Bennink, whose approach has left one of the strongest impressions on me as a percussionist:

Saturday, January 17
Velvet Lounge
915 U St NW WDC
http://www.velvetloungedc.com
202-462-3213
$10, doors at 9pm, 18+!

Han Bennink (legendary Dutch improv percussionist)
Kohoutek Dashin Gassoudan (no guitars!)
plus a set including a few of DC's premier improvisers

Han Bennink
http://www.hanbennink.com/

Throughout the 1960s, drummer and artist Han Bennink (b.1942) was
increasingly recognized as an uncommonly versatile drummer. A hard swinger in the tradition of his hero Kenny Clarke, he accompanied touring American jazz stars, including Sonny Rollins, Ben Webster, Wes Montgomery, Johnny Griffin, Eric Dolphy and Dexter Gordon. At the same time, Bennink participated in the creation of a European improvised music which evolved apart from its jazz roots. With fellow Dutch pioneers, pianist Misha Mengelberg and saxophonist Willem Breuker, he founded the musicians? collective Instant Composers Pool in 1967, with which he still performs. Since, Bennink has collaborated frequently with Steve Lacy, Roswell Rudd, Peter Brötzmann, Derek Bailey and Dave Douglas, as well has continued to lead Clusone 3 with Michael Moore and Ernst Reijseger.

Kohoutek Dashin Gassoudan
http://www.claviusproductions.org/kohoutek

The standard Kohoutek bio is thrown out the window for this performance, which will be the 5th all-percussion set. Joining me will be John Howard (Hat City Intuitive/Plums/Spaceships Panic Orbit/Foreign Press), and southwest Virginia's amazing Nathan Bowles (Pelt/Spiral Joy Band/Black Twigs/Black History Moth/Jack Rose). Howard is one of my favorite percussionists in the DC area, and I am pleased to have us all onstage simultaneously. Think Milford Graves' ESP record, Tony Oxley, Bennink, and Bruford/Muir circa 1973 Crimson and you're on the right track.

azaghal1981

« Reply #89 on: January 16, 2009, 08:07:58 am »
Thanks for the info.

Guess I have a small conflict now.

That Chromatic Mysteries does sound like it could be incredible given the diverse backgrounds of each musician and what they bring. Where's twins?
احمد