Author Topic: Is Morrissey a racist?  (Read 8807 times)

HoyaSaxa03

Re: Is Morrissey a racist?
« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2007, 03:28:00 pm »
Originally posted by Brain Walrus:
  And may I remind you...it was our language first, you lot bastardized it.
are you really that block-headed?  not to pat myself on the back too much (although i'm really good at that), but i'll walk you through my limited thought process in that post:

i anticipated your using the amusingly stereotypical self-righteous harangue that "americans bastardized our language."  i then used this anticipation along with rhetorical tools known as "irony" and "sardonicism" to turn your words against you and illustrate your utter hypocrisy.  it's really some pretty incredible stuff   ;)
(o|o)

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2007, 03:37:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:

The fact that the father and uncle of the girl I was referring to are sat in prison wondering what they did wrong tell me their beliefs are far stronger than our laws, so NO, it won't change.
It's not them you need to worry about Mank - it's the generation behind them who see this and have to come to terms with it.  Eventually, the Muslim world will find vocal leaders that will point out that sitting behind bars is no way to live your life, and all we need to do as a developed society is provide them with an audience.  They're not going to get an audience in an undeveloped society. [/b]
I hope you're right smackie, but I think you're just naive. It hasn't changed since the 7th century so it's not likely to change now.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2007, 03:45:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:

The fact that the father and uncle of the girl I was referring to are sat in prison wondering what they did wrong tell me their beliefs are far stronger than our laws, so NO, it won't change.
It's not them you need to worry about Mank - it's the generation behind them who see this and have to come to terms with it.  Eventually, the Muslim world will find vocal leaders that will point out that sitting behind bars is no way to live your life, and all we need to do as a developed society is provide them with an audience.  They're not going to get an audience in an undeveloped society. [/b]
one would think so, but then, booker t. washington died nearly 100 years ago. . oh wait, you're talking about muslims.  sorry.
OU812

godsshoeshine

« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2007, 03:51:00 pm »
good thread
o/\o

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2007, 04:42:00 pm »
Originally posted by Hoya Paranoia:
 i wasn't being truthful in my previous posts (i thought they were kind of funny, i guess that was lost on everyone)
no no, i got it.  i thought it was quite funny.
<sig>

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2007, 06:57:00 pm »
Hey smackie, maybe there is hope

Peer criticises Muslim 'hotheads'  

Lady Warsi helped win the release of UK teacher Gillian Gibbons.

Muslim peer Baroness Warsi has hit out at Muslim "hardliners and hotheads" who use Islam to argue against voting and equal rights for women.
 The Conservative shadow minister for community cohesion said it was crucial to distinguish between social demands and genuine religious requirements.

She urged Muslims not to allow such confusion to cut them off from society.

Lady Warsi, speaking at a conference in London, also said Muslims had a special responsibility to defeat extremism.

Addressing the conference on race equality organised by the Guardian newspaper, she said it was possible to be both proud to be Muslim and British and that extremists did not represent the majority of the UK's Muslim community.

"I've got a clear message to the hardliners and hotheads who claim to speak for British Muslims. When you say that voting is un-Islamic, you're wrong.

Confusing the cultural and the religious is wrong because it's divisive

Lady Warsi
 Conservative Muslim peer

"When you say that women should not have access to education or employment; that women's equality is un-Islamic; or that women should not adopt leadership positions like politics, you're wrong, wrong, wrong."

Lady Warsi, who lobbied the Sudanese president to secure the release of British schoolteacher Gillian Gibbons after she was jailed for letting her class name a teddy bear Muhammad, called on all Muslims to "engage robustly" with "cultural opinions" about Islamic behaviour where they threatened to divide communities.

She warned that social expectations - "often pretty dubious ones" - should not be mistaken for true religious requirements.

"Confusing the cultural and the religious is wrong because it's divisive - it leads to separation as devout young people think it's their religious duty to cut themselves off from wider society," she said.

"As long as the Muslim community remains in a victim culture, a siege mentality, they allow others to control the debate."

Veil 'choice'

Islam was "unambiguous" in its rejection of forced marriages, she argued, while those behind so-called honour killings should not be permitted "to hide behind any faith".

She went on to say Muslim women should have the choice whether to wear the face veil or not, but acknowledged there would be times when - for reasons of security or health and safety - it would be necessary to remove it.

She called on all members of the Muslim community to help in the fight against terrorism.

"We must accept that we're in all in this together - but Muslims have an added responsibility to defeat extremism, because extremism is claimed in the name of Islam," Baroness Warsi said.

"It's also more personal to us because it's in our community that any backlash is also felt."

The government and society in general also had roles to play in making the Muslim community feel part of the wider community of Britain, she added.

but then again, she'll probably be 'honor killed' by ramadam

vansmack

« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2007, 07:03:00 pm »
  Hey smackie, maybe there is hope

I've been accused of a lot worse than being naive, Mank.  And yes, every muslim leader that steps forward puts their life at risk - but that's not new to any "opposition" leader.
27>34

930clubber

« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2007, 09:26:00 pm »
nice to see the natives mix it up.

i like morrissey's willingness to put his money where his mouth is -- he emigrated rather than stay and complain like most.

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2007, 10:29:00 am »
Originally posted by 930clubber:
  nice to see the natives mix it up.

i like morrissey's willingness to put his money where his mouth is -- he emigrated rather than stay and complain like most.
Yeah, me and the Mozzer have a lot in common really!  ;)

I also left DC for the similar reasons....