Author Topic: How was Coachella?  (Read 11984 times)

sonickteam2

Re: How was Coachella?
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2005, 02:03:00 pm »
I can see Bauhaus being pretty boring live.

actually.

vansmack

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2005, 02:43:00 pm »
Oh my.....

I leave for a while and I return to people wondering who Bauhaus is?  This is unaccepable.

I'm going back to the Star Wars thread.

And Fico, you know I love you, but Bauhaus will have a much more profound effect on your music than Coldplay ever will.  Give 'em a listen.
27>34

xcanuck

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2005, 02:50:00 pm »
OK. Yay Bauhaus. Boo Coldplay.

Good. That's over and done with. What about the other bands that played Coachella? How were Arcade Fire, British Sea Power, Amublance Ltd, Doves, etc.

The lineup is so awesome. Why do they have to do in the middle of a f**king hot desert?

sonickteam2

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2005, 03:16:00 pm »
Originally posted by xcanuck:

Good. That's over and done with. What about the other bands that played Coachella? How were Arcade Fire, British Sea Power, Amublance Ltd, Doves, etc.

The lineup is so awesome. Why do they have to do in the middle of a f**king hot desert?
Doves didnt play, and i agree canuck, i think Edmonton would be the perfect setting for this show!  or Moose Jaw!

joz

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2005, 03:27:00 pm »
Originally posted by xcanuck:

could see (or could have seen) all the bands you listed within a 6 month period in dc. no need to stand in a desert for those.

sonickteam2

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2005, 03:30:00 pm »
Originally posted by joz:
  could see (or could have seen) all the bands you listed within a 6 month period in dc. no need to stand in a desert for those.
quit it with that god-awful lame stupid excuse.

jesus.

joz

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2005, 03:35:00 pm »
Originally posted by sonickteam3:

quit it with that god-awful lame stupid excuse.

jesus. [/b]
it's not a lame excuse...i went to coachella last year. totally worth it. this year's lineup wasn't. anyway, i was just pointing out that if xcanuck thought the lineup was great but standing in the desert isn't, that he could easily have seen the bands he mentioned in dc.

eltee

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2005, 03:59:00 pm »
I heard Wilco wasn't "eh"

From another board:
 "Wilco:
 War on War, Shot in the Arm. They also played:
 I am trying to break your heart
 Muzzle of Bees
 At least that's what you said
 Spiders"

"Weezer was great except they still refuse to play anything off of PInkerton their greatest album. It's total B.S. They played a bunch of new stuff too. Here is their entire set list that I wrote as they played for someone on another board.

Say it Ain't so
 Don't Let Go
 Sweater Song
 (new song) Peace
 (new song) This is such a Pity
 In the Garage
 (new song) Hold me
 Island in the Sun
 (new song) We are all on drugs
 (new song) Beverly Hills
 Hash Pipe
 Buddy Holly"

sonickteam2

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2005, 03:59:00 pm »
  it's not a lame excuse...i went to coachella last year. totally worth it. this year's lineup wasn't. anyway, i was just pointing out that if xcanuck thought the lineup was great but standing in the desert isn't, that he could easily have seen the bands he mentioned in dc.
i think he was just mentioning some of the list off the top of his head.  

sure, if he only wanted to see those 4 bands he mentioned then you are right, but if by chance he likes a few more bands on that bill...how "easy" would it have been??? easy??

if i remember correctly all 4 of those band are/were playing on Weeknights. and say you wanna see more than that.

you can go out

thurs 5/12 for Kasabian $10
 thur 5/19 for Stereophonic $20
  fri 5/20 for a long Dresden Dolls, Gang of Four/Radio 4 night $40
  sun 5/22 for pinback  $14
  mon 5/23 for doves and mercury rev $20
  tue 5/24 for snow patrol $20
  thur 5/26 for bright eyes / faint $25
 fri 5/27 for blood brothers $12
  sat 5/28 for rilo kiley $15

wow.  that is easy, if you have nothing else to do besides go to rock shows.

sonickteam2

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2005, 04:01:00 pm »
Originally posted by abulum:

"Weezer was great except they still refuse to play anything off of PInkerton their greatest album. It's total B.S.
hahaha, i love it.  god bless Weezer.

joz

« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2005, 04:11:00 pm »

i think he was just mentioning some of the list off the top of his head.  

sure, if he only wanted to see those 4 bands he mentioned then you are right, but if by chance he likes a few more bands on that bill...how "easy" would it have been??? easy??

if i remember correctly all 4 of those band are/were playing on Weeknights. and say you wanna see more than that.

you can go out

thurs 5/12 for Kasabian $10
 thur 5/19 for Stereophonic $20
  fri 5/20 for a long Dresden Dolls, Gang of Four/Radio 4 night $40
  sun 5/22 for pinback  $14
  mon 5/23 for doves and mercury rev $20
  tue 5/24 for snow patrol $20
  thur 5/26 for bright eyes / faint $25
 fri 5/27 for blood brothers $12
  sat 5/28 for rilo kiley $15

wow.  that is easy, if you have nothing else to do besides go to rock shows. [/b]
figure in $50+/day for food/water/"beverages", tix at $160 for 2-day pass, lodging at $100+/night (luckily, i stayed with my friend's family last year) and airfare at $200+...that's well over $800. not to mention 2 days off work (fri/mon), assuming you want to see the entirety of both days. it's not necessarily easy, nor is it cheap. i don't know about you, but i don't take days off work to go to weeknight shows in the district.

sonickteam2

« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2005, 04:18:00 pm »
  figure in $50+/day for food/water/"beverages", tix at $160 for 2-day pass, lodging at $100+/night (luckily, i stayed with my friend's family last year) and airfare at $200+...that's well over $800. not to mention 2 days off work (fri/mon), assuming you want to see the entirety of both days. it's not necessarily easy, nor is it cheap. i don't know about you, but i don't take days off work to go to weeknight shows in the district.
i thought we were talking easier, not cheaper.

and certainly more fun. But i guess:

a. i dont live in DC, so i get home from weeknight shows in time to sleep for about 5 1/2 hours.

b. i dont really enjoy going to the same place twice a week with the same people and drink the same beer and drive the same way home, etc. to see all these bands.

nor do i have the free time to be going to shows 3 nights a week.  

saying that you could see all the bands in DC and thats why you arent going is really the lamest reason you could ever come up with.

unless you are just seeing the bands to say you saw them....cause i can guarantee that 2 days in coachella (and a weekend in socal) is much more enjoyable than 25 nights at the dark smokey 930 club!!!!!

even if it costs twice as much.

sonickteam2

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2005, 04:21:00 pm »
oh, and me and the lady went to Coachella last year, and spent 2 days in San Diego beforehand for a total of, $1500.

and that includes the oceanfront hotel room (in san diego) and convertible we rented.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2005, 04:25:00 pm »
   saying that you could see all the bands in DC and thats why you arent going is really the lamest reason you could ever come up with.

it's perfectly valid to say that you'd rather see these bands over the course of 6 months or a year or something in the district rather than flying out for a weekend, it's the exact reason why i don't go.

what flew up your ass?
(o|o)

joz

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2005, 04:28:00 pm »
  oh, and me and the lady went to Coachella last year, and spent 2 days in San Diego beforehand for a total of, $1500.

and that includes the oceanfront hotel room (in san diego) and convertible we rented.
actually, i'm not sure why we're disagreeing. i personally think that desert heat is a pretty bad excuse for not going. i didn't really mind the heat too much last year. like you, i thought coachella was a great experience...well worth the money and time i spent traveling there. like i said earlier in this thread, i'd do it again in a heartbeat if, and when, the lineup is better. i thought the bands were pretty weak this year. most of the bands playing (with the exception of bauhaus and a couple of others) have come or will be coming through dc. last year, there were a few that, at the time, were standouts (pixies, kraftwerk, radiohead, muse, belle & sebastian just to name a few) in that i may not have gotten to see them all otherwise.