Author Topic: How was Coachella?  (Read 11983 times)

eltee

Re: How was Coachella?
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2005, 04:31:00 pm »
he's just passionate.  :)
 personally I love the desert.
 But I'm saving for SXSW (still) vice Coachella.

Bags

« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2005, 04:31:00 pm »
I think the issue with Bauhaus is they're not necessarily referred to as a direct influence, but those bands claimed to influence today's bands looked back to Bauhaus.  Does that make sense?  Definitely a progenitor of Goth and post-punk....Kinda like a band like the NY Dolls, in that a lot of newer bands grew up on the bands influenced BY NY Dolls, perhaps not NY Dolls directly (but the influence is so clearly there...).

joz

« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2005, 04:32:00 pm »
Originally posted by HoyaSaxa03:

what flew up your ass? [/b]
i was thinking the same thing...sonick and my opinions on things are generally agreeable. maybe some invasion of the body snatchers shit is happening...rhett's been missing for a while you know.

eltee

« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2005, 04:32:00 pm »
Originally posted by abulum:
  I heard Wilco wasn't "eh"

*edit*
 Wilco WAS "eh"

xcanuck

« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2005, 04:33:00 pm »
Ouch. What did I start?

From a personal point of view, I would've loved to go Coachella. I have friends from all over the States that like the lineup and it would've been fun for us to get together at Coachella. Half the fun would be seeing old friends and half the fun would be the music. But after going a few years back, I swore I'd never go again (as did many friends) because of the heat and remoteness.

Now, I think the Intonation Music Festival in July in Chicago is going to be awesome. I'm digging the lineup - Decemberists, Broken Social Scene, Death From Above, among others. Fingers crossed that Stars and/or Arcade Fire will join the lineup. Already got my flights booked!

sonickteam2

« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2005, 04:35:00 pm »
Originally posted by joz:
   last year, there were a few that, at the time, were standouts (pixies, kraftwerk, radiohead, muse, belle & sebastian just to name a few) in that i may not have gotten to see them all otherwise.
yeah, i didnt go cause i have no money, or i am buying a house.  but i thought the lineup was good enough.  when i looked at the set times. i see for instance on Sat, i would've seen Buck 65, K-os, raveonettes, roli kiley, unkle, weezer, secret machines, bloc party, mercury rev and chemical brothers.

with some scattering in between, i couldnt ask for much of a better show....

cant wait to see who crawls out of the woodwork next year!

sonickteam2

« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2005, 04:42:00 pm »

Originally posted by sonickteam3:
 [qb] it's perfectly valid to say that you'd rather see these bands over the course of 6 months or a year or something in the district rather than flying out for a weekend, it's the exact reason why i don't go.

what flew up your ass? [/b]
thats not what joz said, (and actually its not joz that really get me going, i hear that lame excuse constantly)

saying you would rather see them all in the same place, down the st from your house, is one thing....implying that the experience of seeing the bands all at one festival is the same as seeing them all seperately at the same place, is the same?  not valid, at all.  

perhaps i am just mad that i didnt go, but that excuse is still really lame, though i would expect it from you Hoya.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2005, 04:55:00 pm »
  thats not what joz said, (and actually its not joz that really get me going, i hear that lame excuse constantly)

saying you would rather see them all in the same place, down the st from your house, is one thing....implying that the experience of seeing the bands all at one festival is the same as seeing them all seperately at the same place, is the same?  not valid, at all.  

perhaps i am just mad that i didnt go, but that excuse is still really lame, though i would expect it from you Hoya.
awww, thats cute sonick ...   :p  

i will fight to my death for sensible gun legislation and to preserve the notion that seeing these bands separately over a long period of time in my hometown is just as reasonable as flying out to see them in one weekend.

to the death!!
(o|o)

Random Citizen

« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2005, 05:49:00 pm »
NPR's All Things Considered will run a story on Coachella this evening.

sonickteam2

« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2005, 05:52:00 pm »
  awww, thats cute sonick ...    :p  

i will fight to my death for sensible gun legislation and to preserve the notion that seeing these bands separately over a long period of time in my hometown is just as reasonable as flying out to see them in one weekend.

to the death!!
you dont even read the posts you're responding to, do you?

eltee

« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2005, 05:55:00 pm »
leave the east coast for a short stint - it does a body good!

godsshoeshine

« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2005, 06:47:00 pm »
for me the farness is what usually makes me back out of coachella. if it was in north carolina or something, i'd be all over it. but yeah, last year was the year to go
o/\o

jakez468

« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2005, 07:20:00 pm »
anyone want to review the show?

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2005, 08:26:00 pm »
  you dont even read the posts you're responding to, do you?
shit, you're right ... your logic here is just crystal clear:

saying you would rather see them all in the same place, down the st from your house, is one thing....implying that the experience of seeing the bands all at one festival is the same as seeing them all seperately at the same place, is the same? not valid, at all.
(o|o)

bearman🐻

« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2005, 10:27:00 pm »
Well, just got back from my trip out West.

First of all, Coachella 2005 was FAR more subdued than 2004. It was a totally different audience though. If you had 3 times as many of the folks that showed up this year, you would have had a lot of jerks. IT just seemed like there were more people messed up on drugs and the lack of major heat allowed people to drink more booze and get messed up more.

But that being said, there were the positives: fewer people, less heat, more room to hang out, dance, etc. Less time getting out of the parking lot. But the bands just didn't blow me away like they did last year. The one exception was the Chemical Brothers, whose performance was easily one of the best things I've ever seen. The energy coming off of them blew everyone out of the water. Weezer were really great, so were the Faint. Prodigy rocked the house...Bauhaus were really good and Peter Murphy hanging upside down during Bela Lugosi was the most memorable single moment. New Order likewise had some great moments doing Joy Division tunes like Transmissoin and Atmosphere, some not so great too. Nine Inch Nails were OK...but honestly there was no Radiohead or Pixies this year, it seemed like there was more emphasis on style and delivery than on actual songs and substance. Even Bauhaus, whose music I like, didn't really capture my attention fully for their whole performance. New Order are notoriously hit and miss live, and this time it just seemed like they didn't rehearse. Bernard Sumner was using a teleprompter for his lyrics.

Random celebrity sighting: Carlos D from Interpol last night, eating a slice of pizza and looking like part of the Goth gestapo as always. For me, the trip was just as much about hanging by the pool during the day as it was about the performances. It was a great time.

I'm sure I'll think of more, but I'm pretty wiped out. Time for bed...hope everyone that went had a blast!