Author Topic: How was Coachella?  (Read 11968 times)

sonickteam2

Re: How was Coachella?
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2005, 08:41:00 am »
Originally posted by HoyaParanoia:

Originally posted by sonickteam3:
  you dont even read the posts you're responding to, do you?
shit, you're right ... your logic here is just crystal clear:

saying you would rather see them all in the same place, down the st from your house, is one thing....implying that the experience of seeing the bands all at one festival is the same as seeing them all seperately at the same place, is the same? not valid, at all.
[/b]
i am not sure how you can't understand it, try reading it slower.....

K8teebug

« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2005, 10:51:00 am »
 figure in $50+/day for food/water/"beverages", tix at $160 for 2-day pass, lodging at $100+/night (luckily, i stayed with my friend's family last year) and airfare at $200+...that's well over $800. not to mention 2 days off work (fri/mon), assuming you want to see the entirety of both days. it's not necessarily easy, nor is it cheap. i don't know about you, but i don't take days off work to go to weeknight shows in the district.
Joz, you forgot the 200 bucks to rent a car.  Glad to see one review of the show on here.

COLDPLAY SUCKS!

sonickteam2

« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2005, 11:01:00 am »
Originally posted by K8teebug:
  Joz, you forgot the 200 bucks to rent a car.  
you dont have to get the Jag, you know  :)

joz

« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2005, 11:19:00 am »

Originally posted by K8teebug:
  Joz, you forgot the 200 bucks to rent a car.  
you dont have to get the Jag, you know     :)    [/b]
actually, k8teebug and i went to coachella together last year...we definitely didn't rent the jag. when we got off the plane, we were kicking ourselves for not reserving a convertible...we tried to upgrade but they're weren't any available.     ;)

sonickteam2

« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2005, 11:26:00 am »
Originally posted by joz:
  actually, k8teebug and i went to coachella together last year...we definitely didn't rent the jag. when we got off the plane, we were kicking ourselves for not reserving a convertible...we tried to upgrade but they're weren't any available.      ;)  
hmmm, i forget who i rented from (in San Diego) but we were going to get the convertible, but it was $179 for the whole weekend, so we were just getting the regular Mustang.  Only they didnt have the regular Mustang when we got there, so they gave us a white convertible Mustang, $118 for 5 days.  damn sweet, considering the year before we got the Pontiac Grand Am cause they had no Mustangs....

sonickteam2

« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2005, 11:28:00 am »
oh, and it was so fucking hot there last year, we only had the top down in San Diego and on the way home from the show each night.....

joz

« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2005, 11:37:00 am »
  oh, and it was so fucking hot there last year, we only had the top down in San Diego and on the way home from the show each night.....
did you drive back and forth to san diego each night too? if so, that must ahve been a long drive...

sonickteam2

« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2005, 11:44:00 am »
Originally posted by joz:

did you drive back and forth to san diego each night too? if so, that must ahve been a long drive... [/b]
no no no.  but at night, back to Rancho Mirage or wherever, we had the top down.  but on the way to the show in the AM, shit no, it was 100 degrees by 11am (and we were already sunburned from Sea World!)

distance

« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2005, 12:04:00 pm »
   but on the way to the show in the AM, shit no, it was 100 degrees by 11am  
yeah, on  the way to the festival on saturday of last year some gas station thermometer said 103 and that was at 11something.

last year would have been so much more enjoyable with this year's weather.

joz

« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2005, 12:12:00 pm »
Originally posted by distance:

[qb]  
 last year would have been so much more enjoyable with this year's weather. [/b]
maybe not, if what the bearman said is true...i didn't really come into contact with any really annoying, drunk or drug-addled people last year. i think the heat also helped to quell any agression within the crowd. i know that i was definitely too damn hot to get really worked up over anything. i think it kept people in check and the crowd was nicer for it.

bearman🐻

« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2005, 12:27:00 pm »
Last year there were the folks into Belle and SEbastian, Air, Radiohead, etc. That attracts a different kind of audience. When you've got NIN, Prodigy and Bauhaus playing, it's a different vibe. I saw bodysurfing during Weezer, which I was surprised by. But the crowd didn't bug me too much, except for the guys who were stoned out of their heads and tried to hug me. They got to my sister and we bailed pretty fast.

I couldn't get over just how EMPTY that place felt to me. I know there were like 30,000 people there, but somehow by Sunday night it just felt like a ghost town. Last year had a different energy for sure. I guess the most "feel good" moment for me was that into of "Hey Boy Hey Girl" from the Chemical Brothers, then when the song kicked in the place just exploded. It was unreal. Tom and Ed were totally in their element, they rocked the house. The visuals were stunning too...I would give anything to see that again.

sonickteam2

« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2005, 12:34:00 pm »
In a strange way, I am glad to hear it wasnt packed this year.  I was afraid that with last year, this year may sell out on hype alone.  that not happening did two things in my mind.

1. it will keep Goldenvoice in check with getting great bands to play, and not thinking thier name alone can sell out the show.

b. I was afraid of another sell out causing them to expand the show or move it to somewhere larger.

the best thing Coachella has going for it, is that you can go from any one stage to any other in like 5 minutes! and a lot of times, just walk right up front! I bet you cant do that shit at Glastonbury.

bearman🐻

« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2005, 12:58:00 pm »
I agree Sonickteam. Though it was a good line-up this year, I think the problem was the lack of strong headliners. The round-out bands made me want to go, but the fact of the matter is that both Coldplay and Nine Inch Nails really don't do it for me. I think a lot of people that are interested in going to something like Coachella probably wouldn't be that into Coldplay, and the people really into Coldplay probably aren't that keen on going to see them in the desert. I think that now that they're getting big, most of their fan base would rather just them on their own...they're not a good festival band, at least not in the U.S. That might be different in England though.

I think that a headliner for Coachella would be something like Depeche Mode (esp. because they are still HUGE in Southern California). Then bring in diverse acts from the Shins and Yo La Tengo to Supergrass and Grandaddy to St. Etienne and Peaches. Aphex Twin would be cool. It would be cool to see them add something random like Soft Cell or Devo, maybe Patti Smith (it seemed like female artists were lacking this time around). Possible reunions: the Jesus and Mary Chain, the Stone Roses, and (my personal favorite) Catherine Wheel. And of course round it out with all the latest up-and-coming bands, which seem to change monthly according to hype.

distance

« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2005, 01:10:00 pm »
Originally posted by bearman:
  Aphex Twin would be cool.
i'd like to see aphex twin again.
 i don't know if he's doing much live stuff other than djing stuff in the past few years though.

if he did tour again i'd be all over that tour.

cheshirecat44

« Reply #59 on: May 03, 2005, 02:02:00 pm »
There is always that one band that at the time we had no idea who they were...and then come after the festival we got a Filter sampler CD placed on our windshield of the car in the Coachella parking lot with a sample tune of the band Gram Rabbit which was really good..Disco #2
 If you are looking for something new..maybe give them a listen..
 The various fans walking around with bunny ears on their heads got us wondering..
 My only gripe with this year was there was too many bands I wanted to see..and there were a lot of bands I wanted to but didn't get to see. They also scheduled bands in the wrong tents..Kasabian's tent was overflowing with people and there was no way you could see anything..while if you wandered by the main Coachella stage..Thrice was playing to its fan club of 20. This happened with Autolux as well..
 They spread the tents out a bit more this year in order to prevent the various bands from interrupting each other..however that meant it took longer to walk from one place to another..and that's prime listening time!
 Parking was better than last year..the weather was much better..I don't remember seeing any drunks or disturbed individuals..
 I really enjoyed New Order live..they played Atmosphere, Transmission, Love Will Tear us Apart, Regret, Blue Monday, Bizarre Love Triangle, Waiting for the Sirens Call, Jetstream, Krafty, Crystal, Hey Now What You Doing..
 hmm..let me know if I missed anything..
 Bauhaus started off with Bela..and like mentioned before Peter was strung up by his feet and he sang the entire song upside down..and his voice was near perfect..
 dark entries, she's in parties, stigmata martyr..hmm burning from the inside..I'm drawing a blank..any assistance on that is appreciated.
 The Faint were another great live show..I had never seen them live before and they drew quite a crowd and were really impressive live.
 British Sea Power were very good..so were M83..UNKLE, Junkie XL, and Miss Kitten also did good DJ sets.
 Too much good stuff..Coachella doesn't substitute for club shows...I see Coachella as kind of a sampling of everything. You have to stay and watch 2 or 3 songs..and see if they grab your attention enough to go see them at a club near you. In some cases, like this year...you may have already seen several of them live..and in which case you try and focus on the bands you have never seen or heard much of before.