Author Topic: HEY SMACKIE!!!  (Read 16428 times)

Yank

Re: HEY SMACKIE!!!
« Reply #60 on: June 03, 2005, 01:40:00 am »
Originally posted by Barcelona:
  I am glad for Liverpool's catalan, basque and other players and coach from Spain. To me Benitez is the best coach you can get along with Barcelona's Rijkaard and Milan's Ancelloti. He is a good coach and he is humble, doesn't get into the type of stupid behaviour of Mourinho. I hope they get into next year's Champions League.
Watch yourself Barcelona, you're just asking for scorn from the pretentious ones!  If you ain't talking Man B, you're talking shit!

Yank

« Reply #61 on: June 03, 2005, 01:41:00 am »
Originally posted by vansmack:

Originally posted by O'Mankie:
  I bet it was Jerzey Dudek!!!

No doubt. [/b]
The Bucs wish they had a goalkeeper that dropped them like Dudek.

Yank

« Reply #62 on: June 03, 2005, 02:00:00 am »
THEY aren't all assholes........

Beckham backs Liverpool Champions League call
 Thu 02 Jun, 11:47 PM

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - England captain David Beckham on Thursday joined those calling for Liverpool to be allowed to enter next season's European Champions League.

"They way they've played, they've won the Champions League so of course they should be in it next year," Beckham said in an interview following the launch of the David Beckham Soccer Academy in Los Angeles on Thursday.

Liverpool won the Champions League with a dramatic come-from-behind victory against AC Milan last week but missed out on automatic qualification for next season's competition after finishing fifth in England's Premier League when only the top four go through.

European body UEFA is expected to discuss whether to allow a fifth English team in next season at its executive committee meeting in Manchester on June 17.

Beckham arrived in Los Angeles after helping England to a 3-2 victory over Colombia in New Jersey on Tuesday. His Real Madrid team mate Michael Owen scored all three England goals.

"It was a great performance. Michael Owen is a great goalscorer and he proves that when he plays, when he gets chances and he got chances the other night and he scored three goals so for us it was great," Beckham said.

England also won the other game of their short U.S. tour, beating the host nation 2-1 in Chicago. Several young players including midfielder Michael Carrick, winger Kieran Richardson and defender Zat Knight performed well for the team.

STRONGER TEAM

"I think it (the England team) gets stronger each year. I think new players come in and it makes the team stronger," Beckham said, when asked to compare the current side with those he played in during the 1998 and 2002 World Cups.

Beckham said England were well placed to qualify for the 2006 World Cup in Germany. They lead European Group Six by one point from Poland.

"Of course we are in a good position. We are top of the table at the moment. We've got to carry on winning and qualify for the World Cup," he said.

Beckham was asked if he might consider playing in the U.S. when his contract with his Real Madrid expires.

"Playing in America does interest me a lot," he said, noting there had been a "huge" improvement in the U.S. national team over the last five to 10 years.

Beckham is due to fly to Singapore next month to support London's bid to host the 2012 Olympics after receiving a phone call from Prime Minister Tony Blair.

"Watching the Olympics is something special, being part of it is something special. To be asked to go and head the bid is a great honour," he said.

The International Olympic Committee picks the 2012 host city in Singapore on July 6.

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #63 on: June 03, 2005, 05:13:00 am »
I heard Benitez is just learning the English game at scum, preparing himself for a move to Old Trafford...aka (insert doodle company name here) stadium when Fergie retires.  :D

A fantastic coach, I think you'll find I've said that quite a number of times if you look up the board archives...what he did with a team of very average players, and a couple of great players, is nothing short of genius. The two best managers in the premiership this last season both reside in Merseyside imho.

Yank

« Reply #64 on: June 03, 2005, 12:34:00 pm »
Oh man, break out the tissues!  I can hear the moaning from Drearyville all the way over here in Liverpool. Anyone in Ireland gonna contribute to the legal cost?   :p    

Man Utd fans planning legal challenge to Glazer takeover
 Fri 03 Jun, 5:03 PM

MANCHESTER, England (AFP) - Manchester United supporters are taking legal advice over a possible challenge to Malcolm Glazer's bid to take the club into private ownership.

Supporters' trust Shareholders United, who have carried the torch of opposition to the American tycoon moving in at Old Trafford, claimed on Friday that this was an avenue they are exploring.

The group, who announced plans to launch a Phoenix Fund' to eventually buy the club back when Glazer "fails", are ready to challenge the Tampa Bay Buccs owner should he de-list Manchester United plc from the Stock Exchange.

They are collating a list of volunteer shareholders to put their names to an action under the Companies Act.

According to SU, holders of 5 percent of shares or 50 shareholders can go to court to overturn a resolution to take a company private.

A spokesman said: "We want to take action to prevent Glazer implementing his plans to take the company private and load it up with excessive amounts of debt, with no realistic prospect of paying it back.

"SU and the small shareholders will be aiming to block his ambition every step of the way, having taken the best legal advice available."

The pressure group claim that the full extent of Glazer's borrowing is "more horrifying" than they first imagined.

The SU spokesman said: "Glazer's business plan projects EBITDA (operating profits) in the year to July 31 2006 of 57.1 million pounds (103 million dollars) and in the next year July 31 2007 of 89.1 million pounds (161 million dollars).

"Where can he find another 32 million pounds (58 million dollars) of operating profit in one year's trading?

"Our analysis of Glazer's financings before refinancing the PIKs (preferred securities) shows negative net cash in year two and little net cash in year three.

"That situation carries major implications for Sir Alex Ferguson (or the next manager) in terms of player transfer budgets and contracts."

SU are also setting up the Phoenix Fund into which supporters can contribute some or all of the proceeds of the sale of their shares.

The fund is viewed as the launchpad for buying the club back when it comes on the market again.

"If only half of the 72,500 SU members and the remaining individual shareholders put in 500 pounds (900 dollars) each to the Phoenix Fund, it would kick off with 36.25 million pounds (66 million dollars) in the buyback pot," added the SU spokesman.

"This could be the best chance that fans of a major football club in the UK will ever have to genuinely reconnect their club with the community and the fanbase."

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #65 on: June 03, 2005, 12:41:00 pm »
Okay...now it's just getting pathetic. HE BOUGHT THE TEAM, GET OVER IT OR FIND A NEW TEAM TO SUPPORT

I don't like the idea either, but it may well end up being a great thing for United if you look at what he did with Tampa.....

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #66 on: June 03, 2005, 12:49:00 pm »
oooooh, I almost forgot. Did anyone get to see England conquer the Americas last week? Maybe they should've got the French to bail them out like the last time.

How 'bout that Kieran Richardson Smackie???

Yank

« Reply #67 on: June 03, 2005, 01:22:00 pm »
  Okay...now it's just getting pathetic. HE BOUGHT THE TEAM, GET OVER IT OR FIND A NEW TEAM TO SUPPORT

I don't like the idea either, but it may well end up being a great thing for United if you look at what he did with Tampa.....
What did he do with Tampa?  Yeah, they won a Superbowl, but with the salary cap, so have a lot of other teams.  That's why I have the deepest respect for the Patroits.  When you can continue winning Superbowls with the cap, that's outstanding.

Mankie, you know more than most that Mancunians can whine for England.  It must be that milltown atmosphere.

Yank

« Reply #68 on: June 03, 2005, 01:25:00 pm »
  oooooh, I almost forgot. Did anyone get to see England conquer the Americas last week? Maybe they should've got the French to bail them out like the last time.

How about that Michael Owen?  Can't beat those Scousers...even that jerk named Wayne Rooney.

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #69 on: June 03, 2005, 04:00:00 pm »
Originally posted by Mr Dodgy Slapper:

How about that Michael Owen?  Can't beat those Scousers...even that jerk named Wayne Rooney. [/b]
Since when were those born in Chester called scousers????

And for the record...true scousers wear blue, I though everyone knew that!!!

Yank

« Reply #70 on: June 04, 2005, 03:47:00 am »

Originally posted by Mr Dodgy Slapper:

How about that Michael Owen?  Can't beat those Scousers...even that jerk named Wayne Rooney. [/b]
Since when were those born in Chester called scousers????

And for the record...true scousers wear blue, I though everyone knew that!!! [/b]
Well Chester is now a suburb of Liverpool.  Didn't you know that?   :D  

Fucking hell, there aren't many true Scousers in Liverpool!  I think you've got your cities mixed up.  You must have been talking about Manchester.

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #71 on: June 04, 2005, 05:54:00 am »
You're probably right that there's more scousers in manc than there are in Liverpool!!!! They have to go somewhere to see a good game of football and a decent pint.  ;)

vansmack

« Reply #72 on: June 05, 2005, 12:24:00 pm »
Man Utd agree Van Der Sar deal

Manchester United have reached agreement with Fulham to sign goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar.
 The Holland international has agreed a two-year contract at Old Trafford and will undergo a medical after returning from international duty.

Van der Sar had been linked with a move to United in January but agreed a contract extension with Fulham until summer 2006 instead.

United however have been looking for a new keeper after Roy Carroll turned down a new deal and have moved in to sign the 34-year-old.

Van der Sar is United's first new signing since the club's takeover by Malcolm Glazer and he is likely to join the squad for next month's tour of the Far East.

He will become the latest in a long line of keepers to have been tried by manager Sir Alex Ferguson since the loss of Peter Schmeichel in 1999.

Mark Bosnich, Massimo Taibi, Raimond van der Gouw, Fabien Barthez and Carroll have all come and gone while Ricardo's contract expires this summer.

United's other keeper, American Tim Howard, agreed a new contract to 2009 last month.

Van der Sar joined Fulham from Juventus for £5million four years ago. United were involved in an acrimonious transfer deal with the Cottagers for Louis Saha last year but this deal appears to have been reached cordially.
27>34

Yank

« Reply #73 on: June 07, 2005, 02:41:00 pm »
God bless America....and it's English football team!

Glazers take seats on Manchester United board
 Tue 07 Jun, 6:38 PM

LONDON (Reuters) - Soccer club Manchester United Plc <MNU.L> said on Tuesday that Avram, Bryan and Joel Glazer, the three sons of U.S. tycoon Malcolm Glazer, had joined the board as non-executive directors following the takeover of the club.

The English Premier League side said in a statement that Roy Gardner had resigned as chairman and Ian Much and Jim O'Neill had resigned as non-executive directors, as expected.

On May 16, U.S. financier Malcolm Glazer said he had raised his stake in Manchester United to over 75 percent, finally gaining full control of the club he battled to acquire for more than two years.

The reshuffle leaves the line up of United's board with the three Glazers as non executives directors and three executive directors; Chief Executive David Gill, Nick Humby, United's group finance director and Andy Anson, the commercial director who has been reappointed to the board after being ousted by Glazer when his last bid attempt fell apart.

One key question is whether CEO David Gill intends to stay with United once Glazer's takeover of the club has been completed.

A source close to the process said Gill had been asked to stay on but that so far no talks had been held between him and the Glazer camp.

"We'll negotiate new terms once the acquisition is complete," the source said. "He's been invited to stay and we hope he will stay."

Glazer finally seized control of Manchester United last month by buying a 28.7 percent stake from the club's biggest shareholder, Cubic Expression, an investment vehicle for Irish racehorse magnates John Magnier and J.P. McManus.

Over the following days, Glazer's advisers snapped up more shares until they reached a key 75 percent plus threshold, giving the American full control of the club. He now owns 76.2 percent and has launched an offer for the remaining shares.

The first indication of shareholders' appetite for the deal will come on June 13, the first closing date of Glazer's offer.

The source said reception had been good so far, with Glazer already gaining about another 4 percent of the club bringing his holding to over 80 percent. That figure could rise between now and Monday as most shareholders tend to wait until the closing date before tendering their shares.

If Glazer reaches 97.5 percent, he will have the right to squeeze out the remaining shareholders, a hard core of United fans who have vowed to fight the U.S. financier to the last.

In a normal takeover the bar is 90 percent but because Glazer had such a high proportion of the shares before posting his offer document -- 76.2 percent -- he needs to get 90 percent of the remainder before the squeeze out can begin.

brennser

« Reply #74 on: June 08, 2005, 03:44:00 pm »