Author Topic: DC Area Voters  (Read 142428 times)

ratioci nation

Re: DC Area Voters
« Reply #240 on: February 20, 2008, 03:22:00 pm »
Well you got to pass a lot of legislation when corporations are counting on you -

Since taking office in 2001, Clinton has delivered $500 million worth of earmarks that have specifically benefited 59 corporations. About 64% of those corporations provided funds to her campaigns through donations made by employees, executives, board members or lobbyists, a review by the Los Angeles Times shows.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2007/12/10/hillary-clinton-lands-ear_n_76048.html

Hillary Clinton ranked number 9 in Senate earmarkers with $342,403,455 in earmarks

Obama has gotten legislation passed to require a searchable database for earmarks to make government more accountable. (Clinton opposed Obama's proposal to have all earmark requests made public, not just the earmarks that are approved; Obama is one of only two senators who release all of their earmark requests.)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-k-wilson/the-political-battle-over_b_86629.html

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #241 on: February 20, 2008, 03:24:00 pm »
Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes,Japanese Golfer:
  Does anyone else think that Hillary looks like a cross between Christopher Walken and Walter Mondale?
Yes.

Sage 703

« Reply #242 on: February 20, 2008, 04:19:00 pm »
Julian, I did point you to a record of his accomplishments (which can be found, incredibly easily, by just looking for yourself).

But, since you're clearly too lazy to do research on BOTH candidates, I'll reprint the text from his website ( Obama Bio ) here:

Political Career

...In the Illinois State Senate, this meant working with both Democrats and Republicans to help working families get ahead by creating programs like the state Earned Income Tax Credit, which in three years provided over $100 million in tax cuts to families across the state. He also pushed through an expansion of early childhood education, and after a number of inmates on death row were found innocent, Senator Obama worked with law enforcement officials to require the videotaping of interrogations and confessions in all capital cases.

In the U.S. Senate, he has focused on tackling the challenges of a globalized, 21st century world with fresh thinking and a politics that no longer settles for the lowest common denominator. His first law was passed with Republican Tom Coburn, a measure to rebuild trust in government by allowing every American to go online and see how and where every dime of their tax dollars is spent. He has also been the lead voice in championing ethics reform that would root out Jack Abramoff-style corruption in Congress.

As a member of the Veterans' Affairs Committee, Senator Obama has fought to help Illinois veterans get the disability pay they were promised, while working to prepare the VA for the return of the thousands of veterans who will need care after Iraq and Afghanistan. Recognizing the terrorist threat posed by weapons of mass destruction, he traveled to Russia with Republican Dick Lugar to begin a new generation of non-proliferation efforts designed to find and secure deadly weapons around the world. And knowing the threat we face to our economy and our security from America's addiction to oil, he's working to bring auto companies, unions, farmers, businesses and politicians of both parties together to promote the greater use of alternative fuels and higher fuel standards in our cars....

Or, if you want something else, from Wiki (Obama on Wiki  ):

Obama was elected to the Illinois State Senate in 1996 from the state's 13th District spanning the south-side Chicago neighborhoods of Hyde Park, South Shore, and Englewood.[31] In 2000, he made an unsuccessful Democratic primary run for the U.S. House of Representatives seat held by four-term incumbent candidate Bobby Rush.[32] He was reelected to the Illinois Senate in 1998 and 2002, officially resigning in November 2004 following his election to the U.S. Senate.[33] As a state legislator, Obama gained bipartisan support for legislation reforming ethics and health care laws.[34] He sponsored a law enhancing tax credits for low-income workers, negotiated welfare reform, and promoted increased subsidies for childcare.[35] Obama also led the passage of legislation mandating videotaping of homicide interrogations, and a law to monitor racial profiling by requiring police to record the race of drivers they stopped.[35] During his 2004 general election campaign for U.S. Senate, he won the endorsement of the Illinois Fraternal Order of Police, whose president credited Obama for his active engagement with police organizations in enacting death penalty reforms.[36] He was criticized by rival pro-choice candidates in the Democratic primary and by his Republican pro-life opponent in the general election for a series of "present" or "no" votes on late-term abortion and parental notification issues.[37]

109th Congress

Obama took an active role in the Senate's drive for improved border security and immigration reform. In 2005, he co-sponsored the "Secure America and Orderly Immigration Act" introduced by Sen. John McCain (R-AZ).[54] He later added three amendments to the "Comprehensive Immigration Reform Act", which passed the Senate in May 2006, but failed to gain majority support in the U.S. House of Representatives.[55] In September 2006, Obama supported a related bill, the Secure Fence Act, authorizing construction of fencing and other security improvements along the Mexicoâ??United States border.[56] President Bush signed the Secure Fence Act into law in October 2006, calling it "an important step toward immigration reform."[57]

Partnering first with Sen. Dick Lugar (R-IN), and then with Sen. Tom Coburn (R-OK), Obama successfully introduced two initiatives bearing his name. "Lugar-Obama" expands the Nunn-Lugar cooperative threat reduction concept to conventional weapons, including shoulder-fired missiles and anti-personnel mines.[58] The "Coburn-Obama Transparency Act" provides for the web site USAspending.gov, managed by the Office of Management and Budget. The site lists all organizations receiving Federal funds from 2007 onward and provides breakdowns by the agency allocating the funds, the dollar amount given, and the purpose of the grant or contract.[59] In December 2006, President Bush signed into law the "Democratic Republic of the Congo Relief, Security, and Democracy Promotion Act," marking the first federal legislation to be enacted with Obama as its primary sponsor.[60]

As a member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, Obama made official trips to Eastern Europe, the Middle East, and Africa. In August 2005, he traveled to Russia, Ukraine, and Azerbaijan. The trip focused on strategies to control the world's supply of conventional weapons, biological weapons, and weapons of mass destruction as a first defense against potential terrorist attacks.[61] Following meetings with U.S. military in Kuwait and Iraq in January 2006, Obama visited Jordan, Israel, and the Palestinian territories. At a meeting with Palestinian students two weeks before Hamas won the legislative election, Obama warned that "the U.S. will never recognize winning Hamas candidates unless the group renounces its fundamental mission to eliminate Israel."[62] He left for his third official trip in August 2006, traveling to South Africa, Kenya, Djibouti, Ethiopia and Chad. In a nationally televised speech at the University of Nairobi, he spoke forcefully on the influence of ethnic rivalries and corruption in Kenya.[63] The speech touched off a public debate among rival leaders, some formally challenging Obama's remarks as unfair and improper, others defending his positions.[64]

110th Congress

In the first month of the newly Democratic-controlled 110th Congress, Obama worked with Russ Feingold (Dâ??WI) to eliminate gifts of travel on corporate jets by lobbyists to members of Congress and require disclosure of bundled campaign contributions under the "Honest Leadership and Open Government Act", which was signed into law in September 2007.[65] He joined Chuck Schumer (D-NY) in sponsoring S. 453, a bill to criminalize deceptive practices in federal elections, including fraudulent flyers and automated phone calls, as witnessed in the 2006 midterm elections.[66] Obama's energy initiatives scored pluses and minuses with environmentalists, who welcomed his sponsorship with John McCain (R-AZ) of a climate change bill to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by two-thirds by 2050, but were skeptical of his support for a bill promoting liquefied coal production.[67] Obama also introduced the "Iraq War De-Escalation Act", a bill to cap troop levels in Iraq, begin phased redeployment, and remove all combat brigades from Iraq before April 2008.[68]

Later in 2007, Obama sponsored with Kit Bond (R-MO) an amendment to the 2008 Defense Authorization Act adding safeguards for personality disorder military discharges, and calling for a review by the Government Accountability Office following reports that the procedure had been used inappropriately to reduce government costs.[69] He sponsored the "Iran Sanctions Enabling Act" supporting divestment of state pension funds from Iran's oil and gas industry,[70] and joined Chuck Hagel (R-NE) in introducing legislation to reduce risks of nuclear terrorism.[71] A provision from the Obama-Hagel bill was passed by Congress in December 2007 as an amendment to the State-Foreign Operations appropriations bill.[71] Obama also sponsored a Senate amendment to the State Children's Health Insurance Program (SCHIP) to provide one year of job protection for family members caring for soldiers with combat-related injuries.[72] After passing both houses of Congress with bipartisan majorities, SCHIP was vetoed by President Bush in early October 2007, a move Obama said "shows a callousness of priorities that is offensive to the ideals we hold as Americans."[73]

OR, if you'd like something closer to home, the Washington Post did a nice little piece on him:

Washington Post Online Profile

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #243 on: February 20, 2008, 06:14:00 pm »
Well that's sorted then...Hillary is a gonner because she says 'dubya dubya dubya' before her website address.   :roll:

ratioci nation

« Reply #244 on: February 20, 2008, 06:31:00 pm »
Originally posted by Brain Walrus:
  Well that's sorted then...Hillary is a gonner because she says 'dubya dubya dubya' before her website address.      :roll:    
regarding your earlier comment here is Michelle Obama's response to the stupid she hates America meme

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40S4JAfb00w

vansmack

« Reply #245 on: February 20, 2008, 06:57:00 pm »
Originally posted by Brain Walrus:
  Well that's sorted then...Hillary is a gonner because she says 'dubya dubya dubya' before her website address.     :roll:  
That and how all the meanlingess negative campaigning has backfired everytime they've tried it.  Crying was more effective any idea they've had since.

Obama does not need the attacks from both sides - Clinton and McCain.  It's time for him to focus on being the President of the United States come Jan. 2009 and assume the nomination is his.  After Hillary does not make any inroads on March 4, it's time for her to get out.
27>34

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #246 on: February 21, 2008, 12:42:00 am »
(o|o)

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #247 on: February 21, 2008, 09:17:00 am »
I'm certainly not a fan of Hillary Clinton.  At all.  But I kind of feel her machine (Penn, Bill, etc.) has sort of pulled the rug out from under her.  I think Obama just takes whatever HIllary's positions and policies are and makes them his.  He's just more likable.

However, if I needed a quarterback to play in the Super Bowl, I'd take Drew Bledsoe or Jake Plummer over Matt Ryan or Colt Brennan any day.

Brian

Sage 703

« Reply #248 on: February 21, 2008, 11:40:00 am »
I'm still waiting for a rebuttal from Julian.

« Reply #249 on: February 21, 2008, 12:22:00 pm »
Originally posted by callat703:
A rebuttal to what? I asked you well over a week ago for Obama's trackrecord of political successes and you, first, tried to pass off him having a college degree as such, and then a week later, second, you copy and pasted his bio. I doubt team HopeChangeHope was making up stuff in his bio. What's there to rebut?

It still stands uncontested he's a first-term Senator who passed, wrote, and co-sponsored far, far, far fewer bills then his democratic challenger and has zero executive experience. If you want to argue he has a better track record of bringing about change, even your Team ChangeHopeChange buddies will have to laugh at you.

« Reply #250 on: February 21, 2008, 12:32:00 pm »
Again, I'm not bashing Obama's ideas or saying anyone in their right mind should vote McCain over him, just that Hillary is a better choice and would be a better President like 15 times over. Hillary would be the next Bill Clinton. McCain would be the next Reagen. Obama, the next Jimmy Carter. Was Jimmy Carter a good President? Heck no, giant ineffectual dark-horse failure. Was Jimmy Carter better then Reagen? Oh God yes.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #251 on: February 21, 2008, 12:51:00 pm »
Originally posted by Brian Wallace:
  However, if I needed a quarterback to play in the Super Bowl, I'd take Drew Bledsoe or Jake Plummer over Matt Ryan or Colt Brennan any day.

what about super bowl 36
o/\o

« Reply #252 on: February 21, 2008, 12:55:00 pm »
Originally posted by god's shoeshine:
 what about super bowl 36
Shoeshine, I went to the Orange Bowl with Tommy Brady. I knew Tommy Brady; Tommy Brady was a hero of mine. Shoeshine, Obama's no Tommy Brady.

Alternate response: Obama's got a George F. Will in the McCain camp and taped his debate walkthrough? That's awesome!

Sage 703

« Reply #253 on: February 21, 2008, 01:06:00 pm »
Originally posted by Julian, good manners AFICIONADO:

A rebuttal to what? I asked you well over a week ago for Obama's trackrecord of political successes and you, first, tried to pass off him having a college degree as such, and then a week later, second, you copy and pasted his bio. I doubt team HopeChangeHope was making up stuff in his bio. What's there to rebut?

It still stands uncontested he's a first-term Senator who passed, wrote, and co-sponsored far, far, far fewer bills then his democratic challenger and has zero executive experience. If you want to argue he has a better track record of bringing about change, even your Team ChangeHopeChange buddies will have to laugh at you. [/b]
You asked for legislative accomplishments, to which I  openly said I wasn't going to direct you to information that is readily available all over the web.  After you repeated the same statement and clearly misrepresented the facts, I decided to just copy and paste it for you, as you were obviously too lazy to go and find it yourself.  Go get on Wiki - or did you choose to ignore that part of the above post, that includes a bibliography fully explaining his legislative record.  

You also were either a) wrong, or b) lying when you tried to represent that the only pieces of legislation that Obama was involved in related to a post office and recognition of the Congo (the quote, if I need remind you: "On the other hand, Obama has exactly 2 such pieces of legislation during the same time: one encouraging the DRC to take up democracy and one naming a post office.")  So which is it?  Ignorance, or dishonesty?

And now you've changed your argument: fewer bills, as opposed to no bills.

Make up your mind.  You're starting to sound like your candidate.

« Reply #254 on: February 21, 2008, 01:09:00 pm »

You also were either a) wrong, or b) lying when you tried to represent that the only pieces of legislation that Obama was involved in related to a post office and recognition of the Congo (the quote, if I need remind you: "On the other hand, Obama has exactly 2 such pieces of legislation during the same time: one encouraging the DRC to take up democracy and one naming a post office.")  So which is it?  Ignorance, or dishonesty?

Originally posted by Julian, good manners AFICIONADO:
  There are 21 pieces of legislation (since 2004) that she wrote and was the principle sponsor on that became law. ... On the other hand, Obama has exactly 2 such pieces of legislation during the same time: one encouraging the DRC to take up democracy and one naming a post office.

I said Hilary since '04 had 21 pieces of legislation that she wrote that in fact passed and became law. Not bills she co-sponsored. So when I said Obama had "2 such pieces of legislation during the same time period" I was referring to 2 bills that he wrote and in fact passed, which is accurate. I was not counting bills either co-sponsored, but did not author. In that category, Hillary has 150 in this legislative period and 500 in her career. Obama's number is dwarfed by that, obviously.