Author Topic: any news on hfstival this year?  (Read 72967 times)

ggw

Re: any news on hfstival this year?
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2002, 03:10:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rhett Miller<BR><B>I was listening to loud, unmelodic stuff like Ministry when I was 21.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>And when you were 21, what was your opinion of 35 year old alt-country fans who told you Ministry was crap?<P>I actually agree with you on those bands, but I also agree with myuman's point about getting to see bands that you wouldn't normally go see.  I saw Limp Bizkit at the '99 festival, and while I despise their music and all that they represent, at least I can say I saw them with their flaming turntables and all. If that's what somepeople are into, that's their choice.

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2002, 03:18:00 pm »
Andy, just be happy (for whatever reason you choose) that you, Rhett and I won't be fighting for the same tickets. I will agree that System of a Down are better than Puddle of Mud, but I would not play a free CD myself. Just not my taste. If I do run across any freebies, I'll keep you in mind.   Doubt if we'll be at the same shows though. That's okay, we both deserve a chance to see each of our faves.

« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2002, 03:18:00 pm »
THe "alt-country" genre tag didn't even exist 15 years ago. When I was 21, I was listening to Steve Earle, Jason and the Scorchers, Lucinda Williams, etc (what would later be called alt-country) right along side Ministry, NIN, Front 242, etc. And to be honest, I didn't really know any 35 year olds, though I so so desperately longed for a more experienced, older girlfriend to teach me the path to musical ecstasy.

thirsty moore

« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2002, 03:19:00 pm »
Good ol' Harold and Maude.

sarcastro

« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2002, 03:20:00 pm »
hmmmmmm, I would rather hold on to my money and not have to sit through bands that I can't stand.  That seems pretty silly to me.  If you don't like their videos or radio songs, why would you want to fork over your hard cash just to be able to tell some young'n you saw Tantric?  I'd rather go see bands I want to see, especially if the ticket price is so high.  If you only go to see live bands two or three times a year I guess its not so insane, but still, why shell out good money to be miserable?

« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2002, 03:28:00 pm »
Funny you should mention that Thirsty. I've actually had a number of people in my llifetime tell me I look like Bud Cort, who played Harold and Maude. Thankfully, my girlfriend doesn't look like Ruth Gordon.

andyrichter

« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2002, 03:29:00 pm »
true, true.  i'm 21 and when i'm 35, i probably won't be listening to my old system of a down cd's or even what the kids at that time are listening to.  i guess age is already catching up to me b/c i can't stand all the korn's, papa roach's and linkin park's that all the kiddies are into these days.  system of a down is just one of the few "new" (soad has been around since 97 i think) bands that i really like.  i like them because they actually have a lead singer who can sing, doesn't rap, and deliver great messages (issues like history of armenian genocide to the injustices of the prison system-not ratm political but still active).  they don't have any "poor me i was abused as a kid" songs which makes most acts these days seem to focus on.  instead of listening to these new bands, i'm getting into more old school punk like ramones, black flag, clash, minor threat, etc.  by the way, ministry is great.

Jaguar

« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2002, 03:30:00 pm »
Money and work are a bitch! I miss too many shows I WANT to see because of these and a few other reasons and I'm not about to pay to see mostly bands I have no interest in. If I had free tickets, I may show up just for the heck of it and maybe be surprised. Yes, good points were made for that. It's the same when I go to see a band I like and someone I don't plays with them. Sometimes I'm pleasantly surprised or can at least force myself to appreciate the musicianship or the efforts and energies. <P>What's much worse is when you pay good money to see someone you really like and the show sucks!

stpmattb

« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2002, 03:33:00 pm »
It won't be long until the HFStival is costing $50 and the headliner is P.O.D<P>Oh well, im saving my money  Luckily I have 3 weeks of touring with STP to look forward to.

thirsty moore

« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2002, 03:35:00 pm »
How'd you swing this STPMatt?

sarcastro

« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2002, 03:36:00 pm »
SOAD and POD seem to be the only nu metal bands that I can take even the least bit seriously.  They kind of have that Quicksand type of feel to them, I don't love either of those bands, but they're a few radio bands that don't totally blow.

stpmattb

« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2002, 03:37:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by thirsty moore:<BR><B>How'd you swing this STPMatt?</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>By running their website <A HREF="http://www.stonetemplepilots.com" TARGET=_blank>http://www.stonetemplepilots.com[/url]   <P>

« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2002, 03:38:00 pm »
Well you've made some good point regarding SOAS, Andy. Still don't think my ears could take them, but sounds like maybe they are a cut above their peers. I still like to listen to some of the old school punk stuff you mention, though it wasn't as "old school" when I first heard it.<P>   Here's how old I am...I plucked two WHITE nosehairs out of my left nostril this morning, and a good deal of the whiskers in my goatee are white.

thirsty moore

« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2002, 03:40:00 pm »
However, if I'm to assume your relationship is similar to Harold and Maude then your woman must be a corpse by now!

Jaguar

« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2002, 03:40:00 pm »
Yeah Matt? I'm not an STP fan but would still LOVE to hear your stories. Make sure that you keep in touch with us or come back and spill your guts.