Author Topic: any news on hfstival this year?  (Read 73193 times)

Re: any news on hfstival this year?
« Reply #60 on: March 29, 2002, 05:47:00 pm »
I did see a 99 cent HFS show at 9:30 club a few years ago. It featured a double bill with the great Beth Orton and alt-country babe Kelly Willis. The irony is I don't think either of them ever got any HFS airplay (maybe one Beth Orton song...wouldn't know for sure, as I don't listen). Kelly sarcastically thanked them for "playing my music"...she pparently gre up in Annandale and commented on what a great station they were when she was growing up/

Sir HC

« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2002, 05:56:00 pm »
My only beef with HFS is that they used to be a leader in finding new music and now they are a follower.  At one time they would stop playing a song if DC-101 picked up on it and find either something new or another track by the same artist.  Now, 101 and HFS are the same.  I understand it is a business, but if every station goes for the exact same market then they all can not thrive.  I know there is music that is popular and "alternative" (gads I hate that word) that I don't like but anything that is going platinum is not alternative.  It is sad when they don't play the music that they do shows for (a classic was years ago having a DJ come and open the show and get booed off the stage).

myuman

« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2002, 10:40:00 am »
We really must watch our step before we board the "stereotypical" train.  Just because a band is selling millions of albums doesn't mean we throw away the cd.  Aren't we limiting ourselves?  Maybe it's a general rule of thumb that when big dollars come knocking, the original incentive to make the music dims... but not always and not always with disasterous effects.  Don't get me wrong, I know where we are all coming from when complaining about Puddle, and POD, and INXS, but this still isn't Britney, NSync, etc.  Another thing... I like certain aspects of stadiums.  I remember years ago standing 10 row from the stage at Giants Stadium with my back to the stage at a U2 concert and just mesmorized by all the people.  The place was packed, singing in unison.... I don't get that feeling at a club.  But of course clubs are better in other aspects.

Synical101

« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2002, 10:16:00 am »
I think Puddle of Mudd might be there this year.  Cause I was listening to HFS and Rob Timm was talking and saying how they were so good at the Nutcracker and HFS would love to have them back, but he was saying it in a way like he was implying that they would be there.  Personally I think it would be cool if Nine Inch Nails headlines this year.  Imagine this scenario:  It's been raining all day, then stops right before Nine Inch Nails comes on.  It's dark and steam is rising from the field.  The protective matting on the ground is ripped up like always during the headliner, and since it's been raining all day, Mud everywhere. The whole place explodes when NIN comes on and after the set everybody is dirty, sweaty, and covered in Mud.  How cool would that be?  I think the Chili Peppers and Korn are coming out with new stuff soon.  It'd be cool to see 1 of them headline HFStival.  I've been to he last 3 and they've all been good IMO.  Last years was my fav.  It was the 1st time I saw Green Day.  They were fucking awesome.  2000, wasn't that great IMO.  I was all rainy and coldand I lost my shoe, so I just wasn't into it.  Not to mention I hate STP with a passion.  They suck so much ass it's not even funny.  By the way-Who's idea was it to put them on Family Values with Staind, Linkin Park, and Statik-X.  They just don't fit in well with those other bands.  And finally, am I t only 1 in the world who hates System of a Down?  I mean I saw them at the Summer Sanitarium tour, opening for Metallica, and they were horrible.  I usually get into the pit at conerts, but they sucked so much that I just sat in the middle of the field waiting for them to end.

andyrichter

« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2002, 04:42:00 pm »
2000 was cold and raining but still the lineup was the best i've ever seen.  they had deftones, staind(this was before they blew up), filter, godsmack, cypress hill, stone temple pilots(i love em) and rage against the machine.  last year, i only went to day 1 just to see green day who were excellent.  it was like woodstock during their set where people ripped off the plastic covering on the field and were crowd surfing on them.

andyrichter

« Reply #65 on: March 31, 2002, 04:44:00 pm »
as for system of a down, i think they're great.  from what i've heard, they put on an incredible live show.  but then again, if you don't enjoy their music, then their live show probably wouldn't do it for you.

massiveairconsumption

« Reply #66 on: March 31, 2002, 07:01:00 pm »
What I dont like about HFS radio shows these days is just how they set them up? They give each band a certain amount of set time. I was under the impression at the HFSmas that Blink and SOAD were the headliners and that was the reason I wanted to go because I figured they would be playing close to an hour long set each, but instead they made it so that Crystal Method closed the night and the longest set was like 45 minutes and that was Blink's. I remember when I used to go to the HFStival year after year and it was cool because at least you were guranteed that the major headlining band would get a decent set time but not anymore. There are only few bands I would go to the HFStival to see, and I doubt HFS is even smart enough to put them on the bill. My two cents. Anyone that goes, I hope you have a fun time, just kind of not my thing anymore. I will admit though 2000 HFStival was great. Deftones, STP, and Rage. Now that was a good line-up. There were several other bands I liked a lot but those three stood out the most IMO.

« Reply #67 on: March 31, 2002, 07:24:00 pm »
Staind blew up? Are they ok? Any serious injury?

myuman

« Reply #68 on: March 31, 2002, 09:25:00 pm »
What I really wish they would do is get some more "sane" bands and put them in the afternoon slot.  There is a time for moshing and not a time for moshing.  I found my way within three feet of the stage (actually the fence) for Coldplay last year only to see very little and get kicked in the head a half dozen times.  Now when Incubus and Green Day were on... so what!  But they should put some more effort into appealing to more "diverse" fans.  And then assure that those fans can enjoy themselves.  Rather than putting a band like Coldplay (for instance) right before a Korn (for instance) why don't you put all the less rowdy (more musical) groups near the beginning of the day in one block.  It seems they did a little better at the nutcracker by opening with Pete Yorn and Coldplay... but it was a short night and that just allowed time for SOAD fans to get warmed up.  Probably no way to rectify this, but... that's my two cents.

stpmattb

« Reply #69 on: March 31, 2002, 10:27:00 pm »
Synical101 - please explain why you think STP "sucks so much ass".  Im curious.

thirsty moore

« Reply #70 on: March 31, 2002, 11:00:00 pm »
stp, checked out the stp site.  very nice.  do you ever feel like cameron crowe?

stpmattb

« Reply #71 on: March 31, 2002, 11:26:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by thirsty moore:<BR><B>stp, checked out the stp site.  very nice.  do you ever feel like cameron crowe? </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>In what sense?<P>and thank you  <BR>

SupaFanBrad316

« Reply #72 on: April 01, 2002, 12:00:00 am »
News on the HFStival.  It's 2 Days May 25 and May 26.  Check out <A HREF="http://www.dcsec.com" TARGET=_blank>http://www.dcsec.com[/url]  that has been up on that website for 5 weeks.  HFS decided to have the HFStival at RFK.  HFS first thought about PSINet, but realized that it might not sell out, since last years didn't sell out. They did however held tentative dates for PSINet and RFK for over a year.

thirsty moore

« Reply #73 on: April 01, 2002, 12:27:00 am »
Didn't Cameron Crowe get to tour with bands at a young age?  That's what I read about him at least.  Never saw Almost Famous.

stpmattb

« Reply #74 on: April 01, 2002, 12:37:00 am »
Yeah gotcha now.  Good movie actually.  He was an aspiring writer and got to tour with a band but he had to write a story on them for Rolling Stone.  Shit happens and in the end his story makes the cover of the magazine.<P>Sometimes Id say I feel like him, I never thought id be working for my favorite band, let alone tour with them and get to photograph all their shows and be thanked in their cds.  Still waiting for all of this to sink in.