Author Topic: So what do you think of the new site?  (Read 32359 times)

Darth Ed

Re: So what do you think of the new site?
« Reply #60 on: December 03, 2008, 01:06:35 pm »
Goodness knows the forum software was in desperate need of being updated. Being able to search old postings is heavenly. My only complaint about the forum has to do with the quote blocks. Can you do something about the CSS for the quote blocks? The black letters on light gray background used for the quote blocks really clashes with the rest of the content. The eye is drawn to the quote blocks instead of the actual message. If anything, it should be the other way around. I'd recommend getting rid of the background color on the quote blocks entirely. It should just be the same color as the rest of the posting.

« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2008, 02:52:40 pm »
So how do I delete the old email address that hasn't existed for years associated with my profile? Do I need to have one there at all?

vansmack

« Reply #62 on: December 03, 2008, 02:58:50 pm »
So how do I delete the old email address that hasn't existed for years associated with my profile? Do I need to have one there at all?

I would....

Click Profile

click Account related settings

Repalce the old email address witht he new email address

Click Change Profile at the bottom.

Let me know if that works...
27>34

« Reply #63 on: December 03, 2008, 04:10:48 pm »
Is the club getting a colorful makeover too? Plush carpets and retro wallpaper from ikea, blonde highlights for all of the staff, etc.?

the hide email feature doesn't work. I have the box checked but my email still shows up next to my posts.  I can't leave the email field empty.
xoxo

« Reply #64 on: December 03, 2008, 04:23:58 pm »
Thanks, that worked. Maybe a small complaint that it was hard to see the differing color in the line with the current email address. I just saw the same color and assumed one couldn't change the email.

I would....

Click Profile

click Account related settings

Repalce the old email address witht he new email address

Click Change Profile at the bottom.

Let me know if that works...

vansmack

« Reply #65 on: December 03, 2008, 05:28:17 pm »
\
the hide email feature doesn't work. I have the box checked but my email still shows up next to my posts.  I can't leave the email field empty.

Actually, it's working.  Your email address is not visible to me.  Just the PM option.
27>34

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #66 on: December 03, 2008, 06:28:10 pm »
\

Actually, it's working.  Your email address is not visible to me.  Just the PM option.
yup what he said...  i guess the system doesn't think it needs to hide away your own email address... i doubled checked with my non-admin forum account and the email address is safely hidden away..
T.Rex

Brad_B

« Reply #67 on: December 04, 2008, 05:15:23 am »
New site is awesome.... I'm loving it!!!

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #68 on: December 04, 2008, 10:19:34 am »
My only complaint about the forum has to do with the quote blocks. Can you do something about the CSS for the quote blocks? The black letters on light gray background used for the quote blocks really clashes with the rest of the content. The eye is drawn to the quote blocks instead of the actual message. If anything, it should be the other way around. I'd recommend getting rid of the background color on the quote blocks entirely. It should just be the same color as the rest of the posting.
my complaint about quotes is the smaller font size.  I liked the fact that on the old bboard, quotes were the same font size as the reply.  the box and the "Quote from..." line make it very clear it's a quote, no need to make the user squint to read it.
<sig>

sonickteam2

« Reply #69 on: December 04, 2008, 10:29:29 am »
I just found the new site after a week of just thinking the Bboard was down!

I dont normally go the the homepage.  Anyway, it looks cool.  Definitely looks more modern and colorful.  I did like the old site cause it looked like the software i use at my job and less like a web page.

the new board seems cool too.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #70 on: December 04, 2008, 11:53:43 am »
the smilies are kinda hard to make out:

:)  :-[  :-X  :-\  :'(  ???  :(  8)

any chance they could be replaced with better graphics?
<sig>

Got Haggis?

« Reply #71 on: December 04, 2008, 12:31:47 pm »
I just found the new site after a week of just thinking the Bboard was down!

I dont normally go the the homepage.  Anyway, it looks cool.  Definitely looks more modern and colorful.  I did like the old site cause it looked like the software i use at my job and less like a web page.

the new board seems cool too.

yeah I had this problem as well....so it would be a good idea to put a redirect to the proper forum

Chip Chanko

« Reply #72 on: December 04, 2008, 02:42:04 pm »
Would it be possible to allow users to set their own preferences for how the forum looks? Or at least give a few themes people could pick from? The current color scheme is pretty ugly in my opinion. There are also usability issues: as Vansmack points out, it's hard to see the difference in shades when you're filling out forms or pressing buttons in the account settings. And as Darth and I have mentioned, the quote blocks are jarring. I do welcome all the options updating the server back-end brought, though.

I'll reiterate how much I hate the side bars and general look of the new forum. The old one was so clean and this one just seems messy and not well thought out in terms of design. To me everything about the redesign of the 9:30 site seems like it was done by throwing 50 things at a wall and all of them stuck. There's an elegance in simplicity.

Shadrach

« Reply #73 on: December 04, 2008, 04:25:57 pm »
Another vote to get ride of the sidebars, whether they be parquet, brick, or tile.

Pretty sure this hasn't been put up to vote, but thanks for your input.

Christine Moritz

« Reply #74 on: December 04, 2008, 05:23:49 pm »
Ditto re. width/usability issues and the set times on the main site -- where are they?

I'm not keen on the borders.

Search function sounds fantastic (although I haven't used it yet).

For a while I just thought the board (and the 9:30 site) was down -- can the old URLs be made to redirect to the new ones?

Speaking as a professional web developer (going on 14 years now), I have to say I really kind of hate it. Web sites that assume the user's browser window is really wide, quite frankly, suck. As a web developer, I make my web sites fit the width of the user's brower. It's a very simple thing to do, and only poor web designers (IMHO) require the user's web browser to have a certain size. The user should not have to adjust the size of their browser window to visit your web site. This is basic web usability.

Where are the set times on the main site? I'm not seeing the set times. This was the most useful piece of information on the 930.com web site, and I'm not seeing it. It's pretty much the only reason why I visit 930.com at all. I'm hoping it's just because the show is over, and tomorrow's set times haven't been posted yet.